Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2012, 06:02 AM

961 posts, read 2,026,006 times

Advertisements

Let's first take the base barebones model of say the Audi A4, BMW3 series, or a base Infiniti G35. On the other hand, consider a midsize sedans in which one adds one or two options like a VW CC or Passat, Nissan Maxima or Ford Fusion—mind you we’re not talking about 10K of options, but just adding two or three components to the most base model.

How do the two matchup these days? A base barebones entry-sport-luxury vs. a midsize sedan with few options, which one will tend to be a better build, or a more enjoyable ride?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 06:31 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,288,738 times
Featurewise, there's not much difference, if any. It's all about materials and the basic chassis/engine, which will be better in the entrylevel sport luxury cars. There is a noticeable difference, for example in the driving dynamics of a RWD BMW 3 series and a FWD Accord or Fusion.

# sereis are looked at as teh yuppie go-to choice for leases, but they got the reputation on solid dynamics that haven't been replicated in the cheaper brands. Even though, like SUVS, the average buyer won't explore the capabilities of the car, those capabilities are there and if you value those capabilities, you simply won't find them in the lesser brands. If you don't and only value feature content per dollar, then you're wasting money buying the luxury brands.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:49 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
I think you will notice the greatest difference from behind the wheel. How the car's drive. Mainstream sedans drive very well these days, but there is still more polish to the entry level lux brand cars.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:29 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
I pretty much agree with Merc. In terms of feature content and things there isn't going to be much of a difference at all. Where you will see and feel the difference is the quality of the materials used and the way the car is put together. Driving them, the entry level lux cars are going to have much better dynamics, more powerful engines, etc.

Where the line starts to blur is when you are talking about say a fully optioned Fusion Sport versus a base model 3-series or A4. The dynamics are still going to generally favor the entry-level lux car, but features, power, etc. is going to tilt towards the decked out mainstream sedan. That is really what the comparison is, because then they will be at similar price points.

What becomes even harder is when you start talking about a car like the VW CC. It's not quite entry luxury and it's not quite mainstream sedan. In that case, you are getting similar materials, build quality and features as the entry lux cars and you are getting a similar engine. While the driving dynamics are not the same owing to FWD vs. A/RWD it's much closer then in the mainstream sedan comparo. For instance, a base VW CC starts at $30,610 and IMO is a better overall package then say a base FWD/CVT A4 that starts at $32,500. If you want a "real" A4 with quattro and a manual you are looking at $33,300 and even then I would probably still take the CC at $3,000 less. If we compared it to the BMW that starts at a tick under $35,000 it becomes a little tougher as the BMW is a much more engaging car to drive but the CC is offering me all the same features and "feel" for around $5,000 less.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:49 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
I'd go with the VW, Audi or the BMW first. Last on my list would be the over priced Nissan.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:54 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Featurewise, there's not much difference, if any. It's all about materials and the basic chassis/engine, which will be better in the entrylevel sport luxury cars. There is a noticeable difference, for example in the driving dynamics of a RWD BMW 3 series and a FWD Accord or Fusion.

# sereis are looked at as teh yuppie go-to choice for leases, but they got the reputation on solid dynamics that haven't been replicated in the cheaper brands. Even though, like SUVS, the average buyer won't explore the capabilities of the car, those capabilities are there and if you value those capabilities, you simply won't find them in the lesser brands. If you don't and only value feature content per dollar, then you're wasting money buying the luxury brands.
Bingo....you can only fake it for so long

Old 12-30-2012, 03:36 PM

961 posts, read 2,026,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I pretty much agree with Merc. In terms of feature content and things there isn't going to be much of a difference at all. Where you will see and feel the difference is the quality of the materials used and the way the car is put together. Driving them, the entry level lux cars are going to have much better dynamics, more powerful engines, etc.

Where the line starts to blur is when you are talking about say a fully optioned Fusion Sport versus a base model 3-series or A4. The dynamics are still going to generally favor the entry-level lux car, but features, power, etc. is going to tilt towards the decked out mainstream sedan. That is really what the comparison is, because then they will be at similar price points.

What becomes even harder is when you start talking about a car like the VW CC. It's not quite entry luxury and it's not quite mainstream sedan. In that case, you are getting similar materials, build quality and features as the entry lux cars and you are getting a similar engine. While the driving dynamics are not the same owing to FWD vs. A/RWD it's much closer then in the mainstream sedan comparo. For instance, a base VW CC starts at $30,610 and IMO is a better overall package then say a base FWD/CVT A4 that starts at $32,500. If you want a "real" A4 with quattro and a manual you are looking at $33,300 and even then I would probably still take the CC at $3,000 less. If we compared it to the BMW that starts at a tick under $35,000 it becomes a little tougher as the BMW is a much more engaging car to drive but the CC is offering me all the same features and "feel" for around $5,000 less.
Just revisiting what you said here--seems since this, VW has "mainstreamed" the R-Line, and what I mean is that it's available without having to custom order.

I hope they can maintain their R-Line offering for another 2-3 years when my lease renewal will be up, that's looking to be an even better deal. I'm shocked that it's only about 2K more than the base sport!

2013 Fuel Efficient VW CC Sedan Specs & Trim Comparison - Volkswagen

That looks more attractive than the base Audi A4, although perhaps as you and Merc say the drive feel might not be as good as the entry basic A4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive