Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 03:59 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,803,919 times

Advertisements

I don't see what the problem is.
He's buying used.
If he buys at a fair market value, and then 4 months later sells at a fair market value, the loss should be minimal.
It's a hobby, and hobbies are expensive. This is no different. More power to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 04:11 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlroadster View Post
I love cars. So much so that I like to have the experience of driving everything. When I like something, I buy it.

On average, I own a car maybe 4 months. The XLR is the exception; it's discontinued. I've owned my current car (CTS-V) for two months. Mulling over trading it in for a V Coupe or CL63.

My SO thinks there's something wrong with me. I call my behavior completely normal. Who's right?
you are what is known as an autoholic. kind of like an alcoholic except you dont have to attend any damned old meetings, and you dont have to worry about driving under the influence(unless you also drink or do drugs).

Old 04-20-2012, 04:12 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
I'm assuming they don't tax cars in your state...

Not sure how hyour state works, but in mine they charge you sales tax on the cars, so 8.65% on each purchase price upon registration........ puts your 60K purchase at $5200 of expense every 3 months. so about 20K per year never mind depreciation.

Hey if you can do it and it only cost you a few K, great, I wish I could do that
The sales tax in most states is on the net purchase price, so assuming the OP is trading at a dealership rather than selling private party the sales tax hit wouldn't be that extreme.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:37 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
The sales tax in most states is on the net purchase price, so assuming the OP is trading at a dealership rather than selling private party the sales tax hit wouldn't be that extreme.
Don't you pay sales tax when purchasing a car? Even if you purchase a used car from a private party, in my state you have to pay tax on it when you go to register. So assuming OP purchases $30k car, say 4x a year with sales tax 5-8%, that's $6-10k for just taxes.

And then there's the loss when trading into a dealer.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:35 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Perhaps what you're doing is a bit extravagant, but maybe it needn't be. My dad used to do that, but he made money at it. He had a dealer's license, so he didn't have to pay sales tax, and he seldom sold a car at a loss. Sometimes he did, especially if he kept the car too long, but it was a money making hobby for him. It also allowed him to go to dealer auctions. Sometimes he'd have an order from someone and go to the auction to buy the car expressly for them. Or sometimes he'd take them to the auction with him as his "driver," and they'd just pay him for his time.

My ex FIL always traded at least annually, but he always traded with the same dealership, they knew him well and how well he cared for his cars, and they gave him a heck of a deal each year. (I know that wouldn't work with you.)

For years I traded my personal cars every two years, which meant a car for me one year and a car for my wife the next, and since we normally had four cars, there were other trades going on as well. (I always had the road car plus an SUV or pickup; my wife had some kind of summer sports car plus a 4x4 for winter.) I never considered it abnormal at all. Then I got a car that I really liked and kept it for 10-12 years. I've had my current truck for 12 years now. I like it just as it is, and trading "up" wouldn't really get me anything much different. 2012 F250s aren't much different than 2000 F250s.

My son's wife just surprised him last night with a "new" 2011 Corvette. Lucky guy!

Old 04-20-2012, 07:27 PM

63 posts, read 51,427 times
Subtle brag thread.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Don't you pay sales tax when purchasing a car?
Yes. My point was that when you trade at a dealership you only pay sales tax on the difference so the sales tax expense isn't as extreme as the previous poster suggested.

In other words, using Chrisk327's illustration of buying a $60K car and a sales tax of 8.65%, the tax would be $5200 only if the car was purchased outright. If the OP got, say, a $50K allowance trading in his previous car - which is entirely possible since he trades very frequently - the sales tax would only be charged on the $10K difference, so it would be $865.

Not saying that it shouldn't be considered, just that it's pretty negligible compared to the overall cost of trading so frequently. And as I said, it doesn't apply if you sell your car outright.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamatom View Post
Subtle brag thread.
Subtle? Not so much.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:13 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Yes. My point was that when you trade at a dealership you only pay sales tax on the difference so the sales tax expense isn't as extreme as the previous poster suggested.

In other words, using Chrisk327's illustration of buying a $60K car and a sales tax of 8.65%, the tax would be $5200 only if the car was purchased outright. If the OP got, say, a $50K allowance trading in his previous car - which is entirely possible since he trades very frequently - the sales tax would only be charged on the $10K difference, so it would be $865.

Not saying that it shouldn't be considered, just that it's pretty negligible compared to the overall cost of trading so frequently. And as I said, it doesn't apply if you sell your car outright.

Ah ok. I'm in CA ... we don't have that consideration.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:33 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,803,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamatom View Post
Subtle brag thread.
subtle jealousy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive