Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 12:25 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post

I have a Rav4 and note on their board rav4world.com the incredibly reliability and low operating cost for this vehicle.
Im on there too.. I was the very first one on there with an 06 too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 03:40 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Rav4 has that ugly spare tire and this requires the side-open rear hatch. There is rumor that Rav4 will have a complete redesign and it will be out toward the end of this year (out in 2012 for 2013 model year). Not sure how true this rumor is but they are due for a Rav4 redesign and there are some spy photos leaking in the web already. Rumor is the exterior nspare tire is gone and the rear hatch will no longer open sideways. Also rumors that the V6 on the Rav4 is gone for the new model year. The current model Rav4 V6 gets better gas mileage than advertised.

The CRV has been redesigned within the past year. They tweaked the motor so it gets slightly more MPG and HP but it is know to be a tad underpowered for highway merging. Could use a few more HP/torque on the CRV but Honda usually is stingy in that department in general.

To me, the new CRV looks slightly more car-like versus the Rav4 which looks a bit truck-like, especially with that ugly spare tire.

If you want leather, you should consider the Acura TSX Sport Wagon as well.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:26 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Rav4 has that ugly spare tire and this requires the side-open rear hatch. There is rumor that Rav4 will have a complete redesign and it will be out toward the end of this year (out in 2012 for 2013 model year). Not sure how true this rumor is but they are due for a Rav4 redesign and there are some spy photos leaking in the web already. Rumor is the exterior nspare tire is gone and the rear hatch will no longer open sideways. Also rumors that the V6 on the Rav4 is gone for the new model year. The current model Rav4 V6 gets better gas mileage than advertised.

The CRV has been redesigned within the past year. They tweaked the motor so it gets slightly more MPG and HP but it is know to be a tad underpowered for highway merging. Could use a few more HP/torque on the CRV but Honda usually is stingy in that department in general.

To me, the new CRV looks slightly more car-like versus the Rav4 which looks a bit truck-like, especially with that ugly spare tire.

huh? What spare tire??

Redirect Notice

Old 04-15-2012, 06:31 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:

1. As I mentioned before, that "ugly tire" on the rear hatch is not a bad idea, because you can have a full-size tire in there for a 5-tire rotation, instead of one of the "donut" one you can only drive on at 50 MPH to a shop. A full size tire that matches the other four tires (size and thread pattern) does not interfered with the stability/traction control, and you can continue driving as fast as before. In other words, a donut tire makes this system unstable when driving on ice or slippery roads.

2. In cold regions, the gate swinging to one side to open, is better than one that lifts UP. Gates that lift UP have two small struts, one at each side, that move the gate UP. These things have a short life span in cold weather; the internal seals break, band you are left with a very heavy gate to lift, unless you take it to the shop or replace the struts yourself.

One thing I would not like is for Toyota to get rid of the V6 motor, This motor is very efficient, and has plenty of power to move it fast from a stand-still, or just to pass other vehicles on the road.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
They only introduced the spare tire delete for the Rav a couple years ago, but the way it happens is with an upgrade to run-flat tires. They did not change the layout to enable the tire to be stowed somewhere else (unless it has changed since then). To me it seemed like an expensive way to get rid of it.

Nothing inherently wrong with it, just all in personal preferences.
On my wife's 2010 Rav 4 there is room for a spare tire under a panel in the trunk, but I have no idea if it has enough room for a full size tire in there.

I prefer the tire on the gate because vehicles with the tire underneath can turn into a big mess if there is a lot of snow or mud under the car. One has to sort of crawl there to drop the tire, and then drag it out. Also, a tire inside the vehicle takes useable room one can use for baggage and other stuff. Not only that, but if the back is loaded with heavy stuff, one has to unload it from the vehicle just to get the tire out of there. With the tire on the gate, all I have to do is to loosen the lug nuts that hold it in place, and then drop it on the ground.

Also, don't forget that we aren't talking about lightweight tires here. The Rav 4 uses 16-18" wheels. These things are heavy.
-----------

what kills the CRV in my view is the exterior looks. Honda let the designers turn a stylish shape into a jellybean, and the ugliest part is it's rear end. They did the same with the Accord a few years ago. But I seen photos of the 2013 Accord, and its rear end looks a lot better than last years. Maybe the big rump in previous years (both on the Accord and CRV) were designed by someone who likes big rumps? Just kidding, folks

Take a look at the Accord 2010's rump (#4 left to right, on top):
http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Last edited by RayinAK; 04-15-2012 at 06:50 PM..

Old 04-15-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
,,, I seen photos of the 2013 Accord, and its rear end looks a lot better than last years.
Can you pls post a link to 2013 accord photos? I would love to see.

thanks in advance.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
huh? What spare tire??

Redirect Notice
I know about that. It is a beauty without the spare. Analyzed it already to the nth degree..Without the spare you must get the run flat tires which i dont want. Also I think you have to get 4WD which I dont want and you lose 1MPG with 4WD. (live in a warm climate with no snow and no ice ever)

Analyzed getting a donut/temp spare to fit the Rav4 and replace the runflat with normal tires when they wear out. But not sure how to find a donut spare that will fit and really didnt want to chance that one would not be possible to fit.

really love the car but hate the spare where it sits now. Looks like a redesgin for 2013 will solve it all IF they really release a redesigned Rav4 for 2013 model year.

Sure hope they keep the V6 AND get rid of the spare.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:08 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Quote:

thanks in advance.
Honda has released a prototype of the 2013 Accord coupe, not the sedan yet. Google it and you should pull up plenty of car sites that have pictures posted. With Honda, a prototype is 90% production ready, don't expect tho to see the same wheels, and a few other blingy type things, like on this coupe there are some funky looking openings where the fog lights will go with LED lights surrounding. Don't expect to see that on the production version.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:17 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
I second the Impreza hatchback. Best AWD and 36mpg highway. Fully loaded, $24k.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:

thanks in advance.
photos of the 2013 Acccord - Google Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive