Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 08:49 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy73 View Post
I don't know if she got fired (she might have, because I know the new car manager was not happy with her about what she did to me). But in any case, she moved on, whether it was her choice or they let her go.

As for cancelling the "loss of employment" insurance, as soon as I found out it was not needed, I immediately called the company to cancel it. I'm not sure if it was on the second or third day after picking up the car, but it was soon. Maybe they were able to take the cancellation by phone, pending the receipt of signed documents from me. I remember needing to get the signed documents to them quickly, hence the reason I used overnight courier. Either that, or I would have had to take half a day off work and drive almost two hours each way to their office. Might have been an issue trying to prove fraud, so I'm glad I was able to cancel it within the grace period. I guess the free oil change from the Toyota dealership was supposed to be compensation for the extra expenses I incurred.
Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you didn't cancel and ended up eating the $4200.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 09:01 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
I was looking at Chevy Novas way back when, and was asking the salesman questions about mileage, do-it-yourself maintenance and maintenance schedules, repair histories, etc. He never answered any of my questions, but kept asking me if I liked the color of the car, did I want him to see if he could find the same car in another color, etc.

He also kept steering me toward cars with automatic transmissions, when I told him more than once I wanted a standard and reassured him that I'd been driving one for years. He seemed very apprehensive about my test driving the standard.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd called me some condescending name like "honey" or "girlie" or "missy".

Old 04-25-2012, 11:00 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
When I was financing my 2010 Toyota Corolla S, I had a bit of an issue getting financing due to a previous bankruptcy. I anticipated it being an issue and would have to get subprime financing. But the lady who got me the financing asked me if I wanted "loss of employment insurance" so incase I lose my job or can't work, my $398 a month car payments would be made for me. Sounded nice, so I asked how much it would cost. She told me something outrageous like $70 a month. I said, "no thanks" I'll just keep a bit of money set aside so I can make a month or two worth of payments. Worst case, I could borrow from a friend or relative. I was very happy to get credit after bankruptcy and would not let any missed or late payments happen.

Well... when I came back to sign the final papers she told me that I needed the "loss of work" insurance or the loan would not be approved. In this economy and with my recent bankruptcy, I thought it might just be true, so I reluctantly agreed to it. Then I noticed the insurance was from another company all together and was for a period of time shorter than the loan term. I thought that was odd, but let it go. Then a few days later I got a courtesy call from the financing company to see if everything was OK. I said "Yes, but it's too bad I had to get that expensive insurance." I was informed that it was NOT in fact required at all! Must be have been a kickback or commission the financing lady got for selling that insurance.

I called the financing manager and asked her why she told me it was mandatory and she was all defensive, saying she gave the financing company her personal word that I was a good guy and she put her name on the line for me. It was so obvious she was nervous, lying and covering up for herself. So I approached the sales manager who apologized and gave me a coupon for a free oil change. A short while later, and by coincidence, I found out the finance manager was working at Hyundai dealership. Maybe she got fired for that? Or she did other things to get fired, or just left on her own. On a sidenote, it was a hassle to cancel the insurance and I had to pay for overnight courier services to send documents to them, but I did it because it was within 10 days or whatever the timeframe was that allowed me to cancel. Otherwise I would have had to pay an extra $4200 for nothing.
This reminds me. We went to buy a new van with cash in 2000. The salesman tried hard to convince me that it would be better to finance the van instead. He had all kinds of differnt BS reasons. First said I could invest the moeny and get a better return (than a 12% loan with a bnch of fees?). He spent the better part of an hour coming up with different reasons that I should finance and going back to talk to his manager for more ideas. At one point he said I just do not see why you cannot understand that you will save money by financing this. I pulled out a calculator on the internet and showed him that the $38,000 van would cost $38,000 if I bought it with cash, or something like $69,000 if I financed it. "Now you explain how that saves me money?"

Old 04-25-2012, 01:38 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,083,266 times
Quote:
When I was financing my 2010 Toyota Corolla S, I had a bit of an issue getting financing due to a previous bankruptcy. I anticipated it being an issue and would have to get subprime financing. But the lady who got me the financing asked me if I wanted "loss of employment insurance" so incase I lose my job or can't work, my $398 a month car payments would be made for me. Sounded nice, so I asked how much it would cost. She told me something outrageous like $70 a month. I said, "no thanks" I'll just keep a bit of money set aside so I can make a month or two worth of payments. Worst case, I could borrow from a friend or relative. I was very happy to get credit after bankruptcy and would not let any missed or late payments happen.

Well... when I came back to sign the final papers she told me that I needed the "loss of work" insurance or the loan would not be approved. In this economy and with my recent bankruptcy, I thought it might just be true, so I reluctantly agreed to it. Then I noticed the insurance was from another company all together and was for a period of time shorter than the loan term. I thought that was odd, but let it go. Then a few days later I got a courtesy call from the financing company to see if everything was OK. I said "Yes, but it's too bad I had to get that expensive insurance." I was informed that it was NOT in fact required at all! Must be have been a kickback or commission the financing lady got for selling that insurance.

I called the financing manager and asked her why she told me it was mandatory and she was all defensive, saying she gave the financing company her personal word that I was a good guy and she put her name on the line for me. It was so obvious she was nervous, lying and covering up for herself. So I approached the sales manager who apologized and gave me a coupon for a free oil change. A short while later, and by coincidence, I found out the finance manager was working at Hyundai dealership. Maybe she got fired for that? Or she did other things to get fired, or just left on her own. On a sidenote, it was a hassle to cancel the insurance and I had to pay for overnight courier services to send documents to them, but I did it because it was within 10 days or whatever the timeframe was that allowed me to cancel. Otherwise I would have had to pay an extra $4200 for nothing.
Sorry to play devil's advocate here, but this falls more under the headline of you getting played by the finance manager rather than a salesman or dealer saying something idiotic.

Basically, the finance people are there to make money off of you by offering different types of sugar-coated crap (like paint sealant, Armor All, loss protection, extended warranties, etc). All that happened here was that you got caught in one of their webs.

I completely agree that it was a shady way that she suckered you into buying the loss protection insurance, but that's her job.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:56 PM

167 posts, read 856,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
Sorry to play devil's advocate here, but this falls more under the headline of you getting played by the finance manager rather than a salesman or dealer saying something idiotic.

Basically, the finance people are there to make money off of you by offering different types of sugar-coated crap (like paint sealant, Armor All, loss protection, extended warranties, etc). All that happened here was that you got caught in one of their webs.

I completely agree that it was a shady way that she suckered you into buying the loss protection insurance, but that's her job.
Yes, you're right. It's not really something stupid a salesperson said. It's more like something stupid the finance manager did. I know they try to make money on high profit things like paint protection, rust proofing, extended warranties, etc. I expect that and just politely decline.

But she crossed the line when she outright lied to me by saying the loan would not be approved if I didn't get the "loss of employment" insurance. She probably figured I wouldn't find out, and she's probably done that to other customers before. And possibly done it to other customers again (hopefully not). It really left a sour taste in my mouth, but in the end, I don't think it's a reflection of that Toyota dealership, but rather one individual who works there, probably trying to increase her sales of add-ons or her commissions/kick backs.

I'm just glad I found out that I didn't need that expensive insurance and was able to cancel it within the grace period. In a way, it was a useful experience. I'll be super vigilant next time I go to buy any big ticket item, especially if it's financed and they try to tell me I must have something.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:49 PM

691 posts, read 1,426,924 times
I was looking at a 1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme (the RWD one) a couple months ago, and I was going to buy it as a daily driver. The salesman gave me a look when I said that (ie he knew the car had issues) so I asked him if the car was good enough to be a daily driver, he said yeah, its just he wants the car to go to someone who will "care for it" because its a collectable. It wasn't a Hurst or a 442, it was nothing special, just the base edition that's worth 3000 at best. I didn't buy the car because it showed signs of it being in a major collision once inspected.

When I bought my Chevy Celebrity, the guy (car lot owner) selling it to me was going on and on about how much he loved driving it. I also noticed he had a Ford GT, and he told me it was his and he was selling it too because he got bored with it. Well, this guy can afford a Ford GT, he rather drive a 20+ year old GM? Hahahahaha, he probably had a BMW or a Mercedes. I bought the car anyway but some of these guys really do believe their own bull****.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:05 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD250 View Post
I wouldn't face any just like if I left my front door unlocked for five minutes and he walked in and swiped one. He would be though. It's an automatic felony to steal a firearm from a licensed person. No matter how all you try to slice it, this was twelve years ago. It wasn't in NYC for Christs sake. Population USA 42,000 at the time. You don't get into someones vehicle and drive off with it. Had he not seen me madder than a hornet, he would have hit the street with it I'm sure. I should have had his ass arrested and FIRED for it. He got off lucky!
Doesn't part of your CCW state something about having control or securing the weapon at all times?

Old 04-26-2012, 07:19 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,954,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD250 View Post
People leave keys in the ignition all the time. It doesn't give a jackass the right to commandeer the vehicle at his will.
People do a lot of dumb things all the time.

It does not follow that you should emulate such dumb things.

And doing so with an unsecured handgun in the truck?

Grossly irresponsible and likely illegal. It is unfortunately for responsible gun owners that they get a bad name from folks like you.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:05 PM

67 posts, read 97,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
People do a lot of dumb things all the time.

It does not follow that you should emulate such dumb things.

And doing so with an unsecured handgun in the truck?

Grossly irresponsible and likely illegal. It is unfortunately for responsible gun owners that they get a bad name from folks like you.
I think the salesman was in the wrong myself. Yeah, gun owners get a bad name from people who think that jumping in someones truck without permission and taking off is alright and nothing can be done about it. Why, that is grossly irresponsible and IS illegal!

Old 04-26-2012, 10:48 PM

187 posts, read 980,393 times
I have only met one salesman that did not try to blow sunshine up my ***, he was almost like a grandpa. Luckily I always know more about what I am buying than the idiot salesmen so it does not take long for me to point out where they are wrong...amazing how silent they become when they are put on the spot about trying to BS me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive