U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 12:08 PM

9,063 posts, read 16,547,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELL37 View Post
I have done this on a couple of occasions. When the new Camaro was released the rental company got a bunch of V6 cars and on V8. While it wasn't cheap I rented the V8 for a weekend to see if I liked the car. I was considering the camaro SS vs the the GT500.

The Chevy dealers were real selective about letting people drive Tge SS so If I wanted to drive one seriously I had to rent it. Ford on the other hand let me drive a GT500 for about 15 miles anyway I wanted.
I would love to rent a new Camaro for about a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 04:34 PM

5,342 posts, read 5,636,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I rent cars frequently. Usually I just reserve the El Cheapo car and then try to get a free upgrade. However at times, I pay for the upgrade to get a specific car that I want to try. I rented a Prius becasue I thought I wanted one. When I hated it, I decided to rent one again to see if it might grow on me. (Still hated it) That saved me from going out and buying one. A four minute test drive would not have revealed to me that I would hate the car. That was worth it right there.

Sometimes I rent a car just because I want to try it out even though I am not intersted in buying one. Dodge Charger falls into this category and some others. Next trip, I will rent a Challenger. I doubt I would ever be interested in buying one, but I would really like to drive one. Unfortunately, you cannot rent the SRT8 391.
Question: If you want to rent a specific make/model, how do you go about reserving one? Every time I rent, I have to reserve by category (economy, standard, mid, full size, etc). Even then, sometimes they don't have any cars in my reserved category when I pick-up the rental.

There are a few cars I would like to rent(Honda CRV and maybe certain Mazda, Nissan or Toyota models) because I am considering buying. I like the idea of renting for a few days to assist with the buying decision verus just a test drive.

Awhile back I considered buying a Mazda3 and loved it on the test drive. By chance, I rented one a few months later on a trip. I realized it was way too small for me after driving it a few days.

Last edited by sware2cod; 04-21-2012 at 04:46 PM..

Old 04-21-2012, 09:14 PM

3,755 posts, read 5,903,914 times
Honda is one of the companies that does not, as a general practice, sell any vehicles to rental companies.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:17 PM

6,924 posts, read 9,215,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
... reserve a Vette or Challenger or other fun stuff from Hertz. Rent something you WOULDN'T buy but is nice to drive for a bit....
Yeah, but.... My son and his wife rented a Vette on their honeymoon last year. The problem was that they both really liked it. Yesterday son stopped by to show me a new surprise that his wife bought for him -- a 2011 Vette just like they had rented, same color and everything.

Rent a car from Rent-A-Wreck. You'll learn to love your car all over again! I used to do that sometimes when I just needed cheap wheels to get around town. I was always happy to get back to my car! The same thing happened a few years ago when my car was in the body shop. The only car rental place in the small town was the Dodge dealer, so I rented a Dodge for a couple months. I learned that I liked my car and would never buy a Dodge!

Old 04-22-2012, 07:04 PM

10,533 posts, read 14,059,997 times
In Los Angeles you can rent just about any car you want to rent, classics included.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:12 PM

287 posts, read 287,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Honda is one of the companies that does not, as a general practice, sell any vehicles to rental companies.
Maybe in your area, but here in Rochester, NY and in Orlando, FL Enterprise has had Civics and Accords for rent.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:03 PM

5,342 posts, read 5,636,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlroadster View Post
Maybe in your area, but here in Rochester, NY and in Orlando, FL Enterprise has had Civics and Accords for rent.
I remember renting an Accord from a Hertz near Tampa FL a couple years ago. Didn't reserve that specific make/model. Reserved the category and was pleasantly surprised to get an Accord.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:42 PM

9,500 posts, read 11,856,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Honda and Honda dealers sell several THOUSAND vehicles to rental car fleets. In fact, last Thursday, the local Chicagoland Hertz Local Edition gave me the choice of a 2012 Toyota Corolla, a 2012 Nissan Sentra, and a 2012 Honda Civic.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:47 PM

9,500 posts, read 11,856,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I was going to ask this on the frugal forum, but given that TECHNICALLY this could be seen as a waste of money, I thought I'd ask car people.

Anyone ever rent a car just to drive it?

Yes, but not JUST to drive it.

When ever I can score a rental car for less than $0.10/ mile, I rent a vehicle instead of driving my own personal vehicle. For example, I was planning to drive 750 miles this weekend. I was able to rent a compact from Hertz for $52 for the weekend OTD including taxes.

I am currently "not in the market" for a new vehicle, BUT my wife may lose her company car in the next 24 months and I want to get the list down to 2-3 cars.

Why settle for a 10 minute test drive when you can have a vehicle for a week or a weekend?

Old 04-30-2012, 09:40 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,400,591 times
Last year I rented Dodge Caliber from Enterprise. I drove like 1500 miles in 4 days. I liked it a lot. The worst car I rented ever was Chevrolet Aveo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
OK I'll go ahead and embarrass myself.....(it's NOT a fancy, high performance car)

While on vacation last year I was upgraded to a Dodge Caliber -- and loved it. I guess it's a crossover/SUV type vehicle.

But did I love it because it was NEW, did I love it because I was on vacation driving up California's Pacific Coastal Highway....or because it wasn't my same old car that I've had for 15 years. (Actually I had an Acura Integra for 10 years, that was totaled unexpectedly, and I psychologically wasn't ready to give up my car so I got the Acura RSX which replaced it in the Acura line up. So basically I feel like l've had the same car/same kind of car for 15 years.)

Or am I bored, stressed with parent caregiver issues, and compensating for that to escape. Anyway.....

It's the first time I've ever just WANTED a car just to WANT a new car......to have that 'new car' pleasure feel. Like most folks I guess, I've bought cars because I needed a car. I'd get want I felt good about driving, but it was a necessity purchase.

I did go look at the Caliber, and the Hyundai Genesis and Veloster. The Genesis is not a hatchback (a necessity for me) -- I don't like the Veloster. I haven't gone to look at the Honda Civic Si. Does Mitsubushi still make the Eclipse? I like SPORTY 3 door hatches, and I don't think there are that many of them around. I LOVE Lexus' 3-door coupe. But unless I live in my car, and it cooks, cleans and goes out to work for its own payment -- just can't afford nor justify that kind of money on a car.

IF push came to shove and, as before, my car were totaled out from under me. I guess I'd have to look at the Civic Si, the Subaru line up, and just investigate what else is out there. But since I have NOT buying a car I just want to DRIVE a new car, I might rent one for a week.

EDITED TO ADD: I just went to dodge, ford, lexus, cadillac, hyundai, acura, mazda, chrysler, mitsubishi, subaru Websites. If I had to buy a car today, I don't know WHAT I'd get. The sporty coupe hatchback seems to be non-existent. (I did see the mini cooper, don't like it, and VW golf - ugh)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive