U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Are Subarus a Regional Vehicle
Yes 42 68.85%
No 19 31.15%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2012, 11:13 AM

280 posts, read 238,537 times
Subaru's are definitely a regional thing. They're everywhere here in Colorado, much more so than in New England. In New England they also seemed to increase in concentration the further north you go, supporting the bad weather car idea. I bought my wrx for snow performance primarily, but I still wanted a sporty car for dry roads. It's nothing compared to my m3, buy it's infinitely better in the snow.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 11:20 AM

3,870 posts, read 4,811,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Sure, my I6 turbo diesel truck has more HP and bucket loads more torque, but it's still slower than my Subaru because it weighs more than twice as much.

Sorry you hear about your truck.
My I6 turbo diesel truck will easily beat every subie off the line or rolling down the rd, but the wrx.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:34 AM

872 posts, read 680,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Sorry you hear about your truck.
My I6 turbo diesel truck will easily beat every subie off the line or rolling down the rd, but the wrx.
Mine is a 6spd manual, you must have a (built) auto.

Last edited by Colorado^; 04-20-2012 at 11:47 AM..

Old 04-20-2012, 11:37 AM

400 posts, read 393,971 times
Its also worth noting that subaru offered wagons throughout a time period when other automakers essentially abandoned the design. While the new subarus are pretty big the old ones were one of the more affordable small wagon designs around. Even without the AWD they were kind of a niche vehicle.

Wagons are sort of coming back only we call them crossovers now because people don't want to admit they want a station wagon. Just like a lot of SUVs are essentially minivans with a cooler name.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:48 AM

4,487 posts, read 9,799,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_jimerino View Post
Its also worth noting that subaru offered wagons throughout a time period when other automakers essentially abandoned the design. While the new subarus are pretty big the old ones were one of the more affordable small wagon designs around. Even without the AWD they were kind of a niche vehicle.

Wagons are sort of coming back only we call them crossovers now because people don't want to admit they want a station wagon. Just like a lot of SUVs are essentially minivans with a cooler name.
Wagon's are coming back albeit in limited form; the Dodge Magnum was basically the first "cool" wagon which kicked off the current trend of manufacturers taking a second look at their utility. I wouldn't mind driving something like this:

Old 04-20-2012, 11:48 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,756,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Some do some don't
and so do some v8' and I6's while some don't.

So if a 375hp v8 loses 30% at 12 thousand feet it still has more hp than a subie at any altitude.
I think you were better off comparing it to a non turbo equipped 4 banger.

Even with a turbo you see a loss at altitude but it is mitigated by the turbo.

ps
At altitude, having a turbo is better than not having a turbo. Much like at sea level :-) .
Whether a turbo performs the same at altitude as at sea level depends on the type of boost control it has. The turbo compresses the intake gasses. What matters is how this compression is controlled.
_Relative _ Boost: One way the turbo compression, or boost, can be regulated is by adding B to the ambient pressure, A. B is fixed. The induction pressure is I = A + B.
Eg. 1, B = 8 psi, A = 15 psi (sea level), so the engine is getting gasses at 23 psi.
Eg. 2, B = 8 psi, A = 12 psi (on top of mesa), so the engine is getting intake gasses at 20 psi.
In this mode of regulation, the turbocharged engines will suffer performance loss with altitude, just like a conventional induction engine.
_Absolute_ Boost: Another way of regulating turbo boost is by adding whatever charge is necessary to the ambient intake air to compress it up to I where as before I = A + B, but now I is constant, and the boost, B is controlled to compensate for changes in ambient pressure, A.

Please ignore what I say, because I have only been building boosted motors for 30 years.

The standard way to regulate a turbo is utilizing a waste-gate. A turbo is a constant-pressure device, as opposed to a constant-volume device (i.e. classic roots, etc). The turbo compensates for altitude by spinning faster at high altitudes, to maintain constant pressure. This is aircraft-101.
Limiting boost (other than staying within the other factors of compression ratio, gas quality, etc) makes no sense (unless you worry about fuel economy), if the demand is requested (and the motor limits are not exceeded).

(As an aside, posts that are made from those simply cutting and pasting, i.e from here: Turbo FAQs are really annoying to those that have first-hand experience. Hint. But I have learned the MO).

Old 04-20-2012, 12:01 PM

4,162 posts, read 5,593,200 times
I see mostly Foresters here in southern Utah. I was thinking about gettling an Impreza when I was shopping for a car, but never saw any on the road and I ended up getting a mazda 3 skyactiv (wanted that 40 mpg) I thought I would see more awd vehicles in my area, since we get alot of snow (5,800 elevation) but I don't.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:57 PM

5,129 posts, read 3,285,551 times
Lots of Subarus in Washington DC and Northern Virginia.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:58 PM

17,228 posts, read 13,241,627 times
ive noticed a good amount of them in nj these days. i think the forester stands out the most to me. im including it in my considering to replace my rav4 (new rav4 is also being considered and anything in that class). big negatives for the subaru is that i dont love how it looks and i dont like the radio commercials.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:12 PM

14,755 posts, read 14,152,219 times
You know, there are other cars that do the job that a Subaru can do. There are many demographic studies attached to Subarus. They are often driven by educated liberals who like the outdoors, or pretend to. You will see them in any college town, and it's "ivory tower" professors and workers at the colleges who drive them....Ann Arbor, Madison, Eugene, Boulder. It's a well-known fact that Subarus are popular among lesbians. Lesbians seem to love college towns, too. So, the demographic relationships start becoming circular.

Heck, a four-door Ford Fusion with a 4-cylinder is as reliable (check the consumer guides) as is any Subaru sedan if the AWD is not a must. It just doesn't make a statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive