Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 03:49 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times

Advertisements

You can't go wrong with a GM or Ford van. Both top notch all the way.. We have many 15 passengers vans that are used heavy all day to transport people and this year we have Chevies.. Great running vans. So were the Fords last year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 04:19 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
over the years i have driven, and serviced, the full size vans from the big three, and these are my observations;

1: the worst vans to tune up are the chevy vans with the V8. some plugs you can get from the inside, others you have to get from underneath the van.

2: the dodge vans are easier to service than the chevy vans,, but the fords have been the easiest.

3: all three vans have the same issue with rearward vision.

4: all three vans are reliable and long lasting

5: in the end which van you choose is going to come down to the test drive and which one you like the best.

my preference is the ford van, i just like their control layouts a bit better than the others. but as with anything, if you drive each of these vans, and there is something you dont like about them, no matter how minor the annoyance, pass on the van unless you can make the needed changes.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:13 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,898 times
I've recently rented a Nissan and a Ford almost back to back. The Nissan is THAT GOOD. The Ford was a near-complete disappointment after renting the Nissan. The Nissan, even with the 5.6, still had serious room under the hood, probably more than my Chevy pickup with a V6. You could do almost anything in there and I'm not sure if there even is an interior engine panel. The Nissan has more room than a regular length Ford inside, and the vertical walls actually do add space. I drove it on a 350 mile road trip and was able to do 85 on the freeway and it was really not that bad. It was a bit wind sensitive, but not bad. The Ford felt a bit goofy over 65-70. The only thing about the Nissan is that it's as long as the long-body Ford because of the long hood. If I were buying one new, I'd get a Nissan, unless I were splurging for a Sprinter, though the off-rental E-Series vans are priced fairly. Used in the OP's price range, go for the best one you can find, there's not much difference at that price and condition. Some find these vans to be indestructible, some think they're junk. V6 models are probably a lot easier to work on.

The Nissan has much more comfortable seats, too, and the seat goes back further.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:27 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You may be driving a much newer van. I drove one ten years ago - though it was new at the time. We were loaded with 9 people and full of ski gear. Lane changes at highway speed were an adventure. The van would oscillate on the road. Since the OP is buying "cheap" that means old and very used.
LOL ... my Dodge B350 is a 1993 vintage with well over 125,000 miles on it. It's a Roadtrek conversion van which means that it's been close to max weight load for every mile it's ever been driven. And it has towed a 4,000-6,000 lb trailer a lot of those miles. It doesn't behave like you describe "oscillate on the road". It tracks remarkably well and I'm driving it in an area of the country that makes the typical winds you encountered down south register as almost a calm day for us.

Is that old and high mileage enough to qualify per your "older vehicle" concerns?

PS: I bought the Dodge with almost 100,000 miles put on it by an owner who did nothing more than routine factory suggested servicing. With the exception of batteries, tires, wiper blades, windshield, and brakes, filters and fluid changes, it's 100% original. It drives straight, the cruise control works like a champ, and I use it as a mobile office/living quarters traveling the region putting on about 500-800 miles in an average week on the road. It even tracks the secondary roads around here in inclement driving conditions rather well. We have the stock tire size, 10 ply Michelin's on it which appear to be giving good tire life and have worked remarkably well as a winter tire for inclement driving conditions, too.

Last edited by sunsprit; 04-20-2012 at 05:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive