Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 09:11 AM

543 posts, read 937,885 times

Advertisements

We had a debate over this topic. I have been getting very interested in tesla and actually feel as though this is a revolution of some kind. I told him it'd be great when we no longer depend on oil from Arab nations. Less politics, less hatred, better future.

His reply was "but where does the electricity come from?" It comes from coal which is an even worse fossil fuel than oil". So in a way you are using more energy than any fossil fuel run vehicle. I didn't say anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 09:20 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,108 posts, read 80,205,776 times
His "reply" is correct, but I would not consider enthusiast to be liberal con men. Much of the electricity comes from coal, though here it's much cleaner hydro power. Also, the manufacturing process for the batteries is not the least bit green, and the cost of the electric vehicle especially the trendy Tesla means a long payback from gas savings. When/if the cost of solar collectors for the homeowner become low enough the electric vehicle becomes more green, affordable, and practical. Many states are below $3/gallon now, so electric vehicle sales will drop off until it gets back up close to $4 again.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:20 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,197,618 times
Sorry, he's wrong. On many levels. I'm not a liberal, for one, and I have a mostly electric car. Electricity does partially come from coal in many locations, but you use MUCH less energy to run an EV than an ICE, and the EVs are more efficient at using that energy. Plus, electricity also comes from wind, solar, hydro, and nuclear, and many of the coal plants are being converted to run on natural gas.

Centralizing the pollutant source is also much cleaner for the environemtn than burning gasoline in a few million sindividual point locations (individual cars) where the cars are getting dirtier as they get used and get older. EVs tend to get "cleaner" as they age and newer technology comes on line to generate the electricity.

In fact, come to think of it, your landlord is a raging moron. And you can tell him that for me.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Also, the manufacturing process for the batteries is not the least bit green,
Lithium ion batteries are made from lithium, which is produced in brine evaporation ponds in the desert, where salt water is evaporated and the lithium is extracted from what is left over. It's not much more environmentally damaging than swimming pools... And with the increase in EV and plug in hybrid sales, lithium recycling is becomeing more economically feasable, with a could major companies doing it now.

Quote:
and the cost of the electric vehicle especially the trendy Tesla means a long payback from gas savings.
On my Volt, my monthly car payment is the same as my previous gasoline car's monthly payment, but I'm not paying for gas anymore, so the savings happened immediately.

Quote:
When/if the cost of solar collectors for the homeowner become low enough the electric vehicle becomes more green, affordable, and practical. Many states are below $3/gallon now, so electric vehicle sales will drop off until it gets back up close to $4 again.
Sales of EVs have been on the increase over the last two years in fact. traditional hybrids have been dropping off, but EVs and plug ins have been increasing market share.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:32 AM

656 posts, read 1,333,701 times
I'm a person of mixed politics who'd simply not like to pay out the nose at the gas pump. Your landlord's a ****.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:51 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,370,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
We had a debate over this topic. I have been getting very interested in tesla and actually feel as though this is a revolution of some kind. I told him it'd be great when we no longer depend on oil from Arab nations. Less politics, less hatred, better future.

His reply was "but where does the electricity come from?" It comes from coal which is an even worse fossil fuel than oil". So in a way you are using more energy than any fossil fuel run vehicle. I didn't say anything.
He's an idiot.

If we can get the oil lobbyists to stop blocking the solar initiatives, more people will be charging their EVs through solar power at home. Their cars will be running on the sun. How cool is that?

I have only driven a Tesla Model S for EVs. The car is a rocketship. The fact that it uses no gas makes the deal all the sweeter!

Old 09-25-2014, 09:53 AM

805 posts, read 1,858,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
. I told him it'd be great when we no longer depend on oil from Arab nations. Less politics, less hatred, better future.
watch the film Fracknation

http://fracknation.com/

Old 09-25-2014, 09:56 AM

805 posts, read 1,858,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
If we can get the oil lobbyists to stop blocking the solar initiatives, !

Proof please?????

Old 09-25-2014, 10:03 AM

3,672 posts, read 10,568,338 times
I wouldn't go as far as to say con man or even necessarily liberal, but EV cars have a long way to go to actually be economically viable or ecologically better for the environment.

Electricity is generated from some renewable sources, but the vast majority is generated from coal, natural gas, oil and nuclear fission.

Batteries are extremely toxic to manufacture. I saw the post regarding the lithium ion battery being made from evaporated salt water, but have to wonder how they make the plastic cases and metallic components of the batteries? Pretty sure they are made the same way their lead acid battery counterparts are made.

Sure, you can see an immediate savings at the pump, and your electric bill may not rise to offset that cashflow, but when you consider the other social costs involved as well as the practical limitations they carry with regards to functionality; they are not ready for prime time yet. I hope the technology improves fast, because I think they could be very cool. They just have to be able to compete head to head with the alternatives in all aspects first.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Batteries are extremely toxic to manufacture. I saw the post regarding the lithium ion battery being made from evaporated salt water, but have to wonder how they make the plastic cases and metallic components of the batteries? Pretty sure they are made the same way their lead acid battery counterparts are made.
The pastics and metallic components are made the same way traditional cars are made. If you want to say that they are toxic, then you have to say ALL cars are toxic and you come full circle to the fact that overall, EVs and plug ins are LESS toxic and pollute less overall than ICE cars and gasoline, especailly while in use.

Quote:
Sure, you can see an immediate savings at the pump, and your electric bill may not rise to offset that cashflow, but when you consider the other social costs involved as well as the practical limitations they carry with regards to functionality; they are not ready for prime time yet.
Point out any social costs I have incurred. And again, 80% of the drivers in the US drive less than 30 miles a day. and 66% of housholds have 2 or more cars already. So that means for way more people than can be built for, EVs are pracitcal as choices RIGHT NOW. People just have to be realistic about their automotive use patterns (especailly peopel that are just A to B drivers) and not listen to the negative smear campaigns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive