Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 06:05 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times

Advertisements

For donating my old Tercel to charity, the charity gave me 2 free nights/3 free days in a resort hotel. So I plan to go to Ocean City Md. right after Labor Day and would drive from NY in my new Yaris. According to the AAA triptik, OC is about 245 miles from NY.

I use an injectible medication for my blood glucose known as Victoza. It looks like a pen. I would be taking a pen with me which normally is refrigerated by me at home. the directions say if you are taking the pen away from home the temp should be between 59 and 86 degrees. if above 86 it has to be dumped

I don't know what the temp will be when i leave or how hot the interior can get at that time. Obviously i will keep the AC on and ,might take along the ice packs the pens came with

but if i chose not to take the ice packs(I might be taking my bike with me if it fits and i don't want to take too much), what would be a sufficient amount of AC to cool the interior to be between 59 and 86? I have no idea of what the fahrenheit temps would be when the AC is turned on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 06:15 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
You might want to look at some of the smaller electronic coolers which you can plug into an accessory outlet in your car. Reasonably priced, some as small as a 6-pack of soda cans and a sandwhich size interior. They can maintain the temperature you need while you travel. Available at sporting goods stores, truck stops, and similar locations.

As well, you can use a "blue ice" pack or two to supplement the cooler for when you aren't driving the car. With a aux charger unit, you can bring the cooler into a place where you have electrical power and keep it running and cool.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:31 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
You might want to look at some of the smaller electronic coolers which you can plug into an accessory outlet in your car. Reasonably priced, some as small as a 6-pack of soda cans and a sandwhich size interior. They can maintain the temperature you need while you travel. Available at sporting goods stores, truck stops, and similar locations.

As well, you can use a "blue ice" pack or two to supplement the cooler for when you aren't driving the car. With a aux charger unit, you can bring the cooler into a place where you have electrical power and keep it running and cool.
there may be models that run on both 12v and 110 to cover car and hotel. I think this type of cooler may be your best bet so you dont have to worry since this is so important

Old 04-20-2012, 06:45 PM

does Target carry these little electric coolers? do you think the AC in the car would not sustain? gotta find out if the hotel would have a fridge, that is when i know where i am gonna stay

Old 04-20-2012, 07:31 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Target should have the plug-in cooler, but I am not sure that it would be in all stores. It might be an online-only item. REI is another store that I would check to see if it is in stock.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-21-2012, 08:43 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Wrap your pen in a towel, and put it in a small corrugated cardboard box. Put that box in a plastic bag, then put it in another cardboard box. Put that in the fridge overnight. Before you leave, wrap the whole thing in another towel, stow it in the passenger compartment of your car in a place where it won't get any direct sunlight, and will not rest on the floorboards.

Layers of corrugated cardboard, plastic bags and toweling make an excellent insulating chamber.

An alternative to putting it in the fridge overnight, would be to freeze a dairy tub (the kind you buy cottage cheese in, with a tight fitting lid) 3/4 full of water overnight. Just put that in your cardboard box with your pen. It'll stay frozen for 12-24 hours.

I'm assuming that when you arrive at your destination, you can put it in refrigeration or AC in your hotel room, so you only need to keep it cool for the duration of the car trip, 5-6 hours, right? 86F is very, very warm, uncomfortable, so if you are not sweating and complaining, your medication won't either. It'll be fine at room temperature in your hotel, or at driving temperature in your car. Your only concern would be if you leave it in a parked car. Don't put it in the trunk, it doesn't get cooled by your AC.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-21-2012 at 08:54 AM..

Old 04-21-2012, 09:18 AM

would leaving it in a parked car for a bathroom break or possible breakfast /lunchdamage it? the breaks would not be long.

the pen would be refrigerated prior to leaving. is it possible that it can withstand a trip with the AC on in the car without all the extra stuff mentioned above, including a few bathroom breaks on the road? (I can always bring meals with me and eat them in the car with the engine on).

Old 04-21-2012, 09:42 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
What about a Tupperware container with an ice pack in it?

Old 04-21-2012, 09:44 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
There are portable fridges that utilize Peltier devices (for thermoelectric cooling). Won't go anywhere near freezing (unless you buy the really expensive ones that technically use a compressor, but also run on 12VDC as well as 110VAC). Shouldn't be more than about $70. One cool thing about them (no pun intended), is that by reversing the voltage polarity, they also work as a warmer. They have been around for years. We used them to cool integrated circuits.

What I thought was strange was that my Volvo came with one of these coolers, built into the center armrest. I guess that was for people who wanted to drink cold beer and drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive