Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 12:44 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times

Advertisements

Resale at a premium is definitely specific vehicle dependent.

For the most part, the vehicle has to be a special interest one, and the availability quite tight. I can't imagine that to be to be so for such recent cars as you mention. When I think 'Restoration', I consider something that has been living in a barn, shed, or pasture for about 50 yrs. And YES, there is A LOT of money to made in the auto restoration business. usually people specialize in a certain make / vintage. Popular with my friends is restoration of WWII jeeps and equipment. The most money seems to come from 1930's and 1940s. Though 1960's and early 70 muscle cars seem to bring a healthy price, if of collector quality.

My interest is in restored Semi trucks, they are very cheap compared to cars.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 04-23-2012 at 12:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 12:53 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
as long as rich fools drop gobs of money on old junk cars there is money in car restoration.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
as long as rich fools drop gobs of money on old junk cars there is money in car restoration.
Some of my friends have taken their 'retirement' money out of Stock Market and real estate, and now buy collector cars, for a decent investment return.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:13 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,576,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Some of my friends have taken their 'retirement' money out of Stock Market and real estate, and now buy collector cars, for a decent investment return.
Yes only the older cars are worth putting a lot of money in. I just put a bid in on a 1924 Hudson 7 passenger phaeton, its 99% there , needs total restoration from the ground up but in the end It will be worth about $250,000.00. Having been in the auto body business for 34 yrs and the fact that I can do all on the restoration my self, mechanical , body and paint , even the upholstery will keep the cost down quite a bit. I also bid on a 1924 Ford Tall-T, 1 1/2 ton truck that is the same way 99% there , good metal, not too many parts needed to restore it. Just lots of tender love. .

Old 04-23-2012, 02:02 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Vehicles from the 1980's on will be extremely tough to maintain in the future because of the numerous computer modules that are in them. For example, some of the newer Cadillac's have upwards of 40 different computer modules. What will happen when you simply cannot replace the module?

Old 04-23-2012, 05:04 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
incorrect. The Grand nationals, Trans Ams, Corvettes, Mustangs of the 80's are well worth full restorations.. and their values are going up every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
There is also a difference between "restoring" a vehicle and simply "fixing it up". Restoration means big $$ and generally it's a waste of time restoring ANYTHING post late 1970's.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:06 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I think they have same attachment, they're just not old enough yet to be nostalgic about their youth.
Bingo. Its at least a 20-25 year slope to worthless to being of value to the person who could not afford one as a kid new but now can and wants then restored to original to recapture youth..

Old 04-23-2012, 05:23 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
Well sideman, it really all depends.....if you can find a mechanics special that typically sells for....we'll just say $2000 street value....and say the $200 starter goes out before you came to look at the car....and said owner "just wants it gone" and is willing to let it go for say....$1000....then yes you might be able to profit $800 if you buy and install the starter yourself. Not going to make you rich but a nice chunk of change you didn't have before.

However if you mean a full on resto....probably not...it really all depends on what you're doing. As my uncle, and others have told me...."you almost never get back out of a car what you've put into it"....and they are right. I had to experience this first hand not once, but twice.

(Makes me wished i would have dumped all the money I blew on my hot rods over the years into the one I have ow that is sentimental/will never sell for any reason.)

Old 04-23-2012, 06:49 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
incorrect. The Grand nationals, Trans Ams, Corvettes, Mustangs of the 80's are well worth full restorations.. and their values are going up every year.
I beg to differ on that. And notice the OP said 1990's and 2000's...NOT 1980's. Read more carefully next time.

If you're talking the 1980's then yes, there will a few (not many though) that will be worth some bucks in the future. The Buick GNX would be one, I'd love one of those.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Vehicles from the 1980's on will be extremely tough to maintain in the future because of the numerous computer modules that are in them. For example, some of the newer Cadillac's have upwards of 40 different computer modules. What will happen when you simply cannot replace the module?
And PLASTICS... having been a career "plastics engineer"... I will stick with METAL for my 'restoration projects', I think the Vinyl dashes appeared about 1960. That pretty much nixes any yr 2000 projects for me.

I carry a visible identification mark on my forehead of hitting a FIRM metal dash while (as a wee child...) standing in the front seat of Grandpa's 46 Chev while he was towing a fertilizer wagon home from the local Farmer's Co-op.

It's that FIRST stop-sign heading out of town that will catch you off guard.
I never remember GPa stopping there before OR after...

IIRC, my mom was not totally impressed. I think she had provided that joke of a car seat the hung over the frt seat like a carhop tray. (GPa and I thought it was a pretty stupid design)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive