Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 07:01 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

1973 Mercury Comet, purchased for $1500 in 1975. What a beauty she was! I named her Nellie -- as in "whoa, Nellie!" -- but later in her life my friends called her "Bondo."

I sold it for $400 to the teenager down the street; when she drove the car away, I cried -- even though I had a shiny new, bright red Mercury Lynx in my driveway (which didn't last nearly as long as the Comet, sad to say).

These pix aren't of my car -- obviously -- but they are very close.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 09:45 AM

167 posts, read 856,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
1973 Mercury Comet, purchased for $1500 in 1975. What a beauty she was! I named her Nellie -- as in "whoa, Nellie!" -- but later in her life my friends called her "Bondo."
I gave nicknames to my friend's cars. In the early 2000's on of my friends bought a rusted out 1988 Toyota Corolla wagon and got me to try and fix it up for her, cosmetically. I used a LOT of bondo on it and called the car "Bondo Betty" (and even got some stick-on lettering and spelled out "BONDO BETTY" on the tailgate. She was not impressed, but kept the lettering on anyways.

Then they got a nicer white 1989 Corolla sedan with a bit of surface rust. Then they had an accident in it and bent the front bumper and hood. I got someone to replace the front bumper (it was too mangled for me to do myself). Then I got a baby blue hood for free from someone who was going to scrap a parts car. I also got some other parts (spark plug wires, etc, because the car died while driving it, due to serious neglect). On the parts car, I took the "COROLLA" lettering off and spliced it together with the emblem on my friend's car (and trimmed the "R" to a "P" so that it said "TOYOTA CRAPOLLA" on the trunk lid. I returned the car to my friend who did not notice the emblem until a week later. She ended up leaving it like that and from then on the car became known as the "Crapolla."

Old 04-25-2012, 10:33 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,343 times
First truck was an 83 bronco XLT 302/c6 auto, 0-60 in about 25 seconds, lol

I miss that truck very dearly. So much character. I sold it for a 95 Bronco XLT 351w/E4OD because it had EFI and better on the highway. I loved it but I still missed my 83.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:56 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Thanks everyone, I'm totally enjoying the trips down memory lane. Keep them coming.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:55 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,517 times
I don't have a picture of the actual car that was mine, but my first car was a 1987 Suzuki Samurai:

Mine was kind of a taupe color. I actually quite liked it. It was a SUPER-rough ride (OMG!!), and I drove it hard. I burned out the catalytic converter 3 times. It would go 90 downhill and about 35 uphill. The soft-top was a PITA to put on. In the summer months, I took it off and used a bimini top. Rain? No problem! I'd just pull the plugs out of the floorboards and the water would drain out of the car. It was bare-bones and nothing fancy. I drove it for about 6 years, then sold it cheap to a friend who turned around and sold it again pretty quickly. The other day I was at the grocery store and was shocked to see one in a parking space -- and it looked great! Made me kind of miss the car. I still have dreams about it every once in a while, even all these years later.

Replaced the Samurai with a '93 Mitsubishi Eclipse, then replaced that with a '98 Miata, then replaced that with my current car, a 2004 Mitsu Lancer Sportback (wagon). My Mitsus have been my favorite cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive