Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 05:25 PM

2,441 posts, read 3,418,315 times

Advertisements

Here in the California Capitol, it seems either of two extremes. Confused sometimes passive on surface streets, or very impatient aggression on the freeways. But the incidental way the streets and signals happen, it kinda sets you up for crashing. So I drive like an old man [in good health]. I'm sure it's annoying to younger people. But since I happen to be older, well..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 08:43 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,794,286 times
The takeaway from this thread is clear: no matter where you live, everyone around you is a suckier driver than you are.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:59 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,627,854 times
Drivers are the same everywhere in the United States.....late/no signals, reckless, oblivious, poor judgment, lacking the fundamentals of driving...I think that covers it.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:04 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,854 posts, read 10,413,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Northern California: Lots of immigrant drives from countries that are famous for their lack of driving skills. I'm not naming any names, but lets just say that driving here is an experience.
Dunno that I'd consider a crowded Bay Area "suburb", like yours in Mountain View as true "NorCal", which is really that roughly one third of the state north of SF and Sacramento stretching on up to the Oregon border... and full of mainly rural small towns, like Chico, Redding, Oroville, Yreka, Eureka, etc.... which BTW, are mostly of the redneck persuasion (yee-hah)!

And funny, whenever I'm down in your neck of the woods and the Silicon Valley area, the biggest problem usually seems to be too many "entitled" sport sedan drivers (BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Acura, etc...lol)!

Old 11-18-2012, 02:22 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,176,864 times
Wel here in Vancouver we hstuf like this:
2012 Lamborghini Aventador: $387,000 U.S.

Fine for not insuring vehicle: $568.

Police reaction as driver of exotic sports car complains about the cost of a fine: Priceless.
According to Richmond RCMP, officers recently pulled over a 22-year-old West Vancouver resident driving a 2012 Lamborghini Aventador for a suspected license plate violation.

It soon turned out the Italian racer wasn’t insured, leading to a moment of stunning irony that was not lost on RCMP.

“When the officer gave the driver a $568 fine for not having insurance, the driver actually complained the fine was too much money,” said Cpl. Robert McDonald in a media release.
To the driver’s chagrin, the car was towed during the incident.

source:Zero to irony in 2.8 seconds: Fine too pricey for Lamborghini owner | Metro

Top Gear Lamborghini Aventador - YouTube

Old 11-19-2012, 06:49 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,862,319 times
Drivers around here are horrible. They don't know how to drive. Horrible

Old 11-19-2012, 10:47 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,943,812 times
In chicagoland, I havent experienced much road rage.
There are some drivers who do 45-50 on freeways/tollways with 55 or 65 mph limits. Drives me crazy, but I just pass them and be on my merry way. Then there is the occasional driver doing 80-100, but they USUALLY stick to the left most lane for that.
As far as off the highway, people are quite aggressive in chicagoland, especially cab drivers.
In my 4 cylinder, I drive quite passively, and I am a conservative driver. But when in my v8 sports car, I don't take anyones crap. If I had a dollar for everytime I was cut off, you know how that goes.
I visited my brother and his wife in september in the Dallas/Fort Worth/ Arlington TX area. I sat in the car as a passenger while my bro drove me to the airport, and his wife picked me up from the airport. They were seriously the worst most aggressive petal to the metal driving I EVER experienced. My bro was always an aggressive driver, but in TX, he was kinda insane. I don't know if as a couple they fed off of each other and thier crazy driving, but I pretty much made up my mind that I will probably NEVER be a passenger for either of them ever again. I am jot sure if Dallas driving is that crazy, or not, but it isnt worth it to me. I don't need another accident anytime soon. I was honestly kind of nervous for my safety, and I am usually not someone to be intimidated as a passenger. EVER.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:49 AM

802 posts, read 1,674,972 times
I was just thinking that maybe in general we perceive other drivers as a whole to be worse than they actually are in terms of driving skills or driving intelligence. My reasoning is analogous to how people view umpires at a baseball game. We never notice the great calls they make but we constantly harp on their mistakes. Similarly, the good drivers get lost amidst some of the horrible drivers that we encounter during the day. We tend to notice the bad a lot more than we notice the good (anyways, it's hard to tell whether someone is a good driver unless you're with them over a long period of time), therefore, we might exaggerate how bad people are at driving by a bit. I might be way out there with this thought but I just thought it would be worth to mention b/c we all mistakes at one time or the other so it might be misguided to call someone a horrible driver based off of one incident.

* On the other hand, failure to signal, weaving constantly through traffic, etc are clear signs of a bad driver so some areas might be worse than others. I just think the general assumption that drivers in all areas are proportionally bad is inaccurate.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:29 PM

30,703 posts, read 79,429,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
I was just thinking that maybe in general we perceive other drivers as a whole to be worse than they actually are in terms of driving skills or driving intelligence. .

In Michigan, there are a lot of really good drivers as far as being in control and aware of surroundings and conditions. Many of them just tend to tailgate a lot. Of course really good drivers who are texting or dailing immediately turn into really bad driviers.

In Southern California many drivers are noticably bad drivers. Not in control, not in tue woth their car or with their surroundings. Plus, becasue it is normally so dry, whenver it rains, everyone's brain shrinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive