U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 04:08 PM

4,248 posts, read 10,233,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Didn't the poster say the insurance company won't pay without the title?

Someone asked how does someone get insurance without a title. I was replying that that's not the case everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 04:09 PM

4,248 posts, read 10,233,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidex View Post
I can't believe you handed over ANY money without having the title in your hands. That was a stupid move. Now you are going to have a whole mess of problems.

Actually the buyer was doing exactly what he should've done. You never hand the title over unless it's straight cash homey.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:09 AM

12,556 posts, read 18,936,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Interesting. I'm on the east coast, so most of my experience is here and it is admittedly rather limited on the titling side of the business. If you buy a car with financing, the bank/lien holder holds the physical title until the lien is satisfied, then the title is signed over to the owner (for example, my Malibu is financed and I do not have a title, it's held by the bank). I had thought this is how it worked in TX as in the past I have dealt with vehicles there and we had TX titles in the title vault, that were then signed over and sent out after the liens were satisfied.

Are there different kinds of titles? One being an "owners copy" that shows the lien holder and then one being the "official title" that is retained by the lien holder? Only asking because the TXDMV site had a specific section for waiting for the lien holder to clear and mail the title.
What I know from when I lived in the Midwest, is that the car owner has the original, true, title with the lien holder printed on it. When it's paid off, the lien holder sends you a "release of lien" document. With that you can give it to the buyer with the release, or you can get a new title without the lien holder on it.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:00 AM

167 posts, read 686,163 times
About the plates, I also think the plates were left on the car. In 2003, I went with a friend to buy a used car in Texas. It was actually from a Ford dealer. They left the original plates on the car AND also issued us a temporary tag (pieces of paper to put in the window). They didn't even ask for proof of insurance! They gave us the car and all paperwork (title and registration). I thought this was rather lenient. There was nothing stopping us from accumulating a bunch of parking tickets and toll road fines or charges and none of them would have come back to us. I don't remember if the car was in the previous owner's name or if the dealership put it in their name.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:55 AM

930 posts, read 1,576,785 times
First thing I ask a seller is, "clear title in hand?" Any answer other than, "yes," I walk.

One exception...looked at a car and I liked it, but seller had applied for title in another state and didn't have it available. I told him to call me if/when he got it, figuring that he was BSing me and I'd never hear from him again.

Surprise, he called me a month later saying he had gotten it from Indiana. We then completed the transaction. But that's been the only exception out of probably two dozen transactions.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:13 PM

3,306 posts, read 9,015,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
First thing I ask a seller is, "clear title in hand?" Any answer other than, "yes," I walk.
A "clear title" does not necessarily mean the seller is the owner of the vehicle. I want to see the title (or copy) and the seller's identification. If no match... adios!

Old 08-29-2012, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,219 times
My son was given a car by his Dad, but his Dad has not produced the car title, how can he get the car title

Old 08-29-2012, 01:32 PM

5,092 posts, read 9,048,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sando View Post
My son was given a car by his Dad, but his Dad has not produced the car title, how can he get the car title

just ask him for it

Old 08-29-2012, 01:33 PM

1,345 posts, read 3,656,263 times
What do people not understand about car adverstised as being sold for "cash only"?

Everytime I sell a car, I get at least one joker with a bank check.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:40 PM

3,186 posts, read 5,456,789 times
legally a person does not own a vehicle until the title is in his name. You do this at the DMV. As far as the accident the insurance company will pay the legal owner. It would be something if the insurance company were to send a check to the guy who sold the car but still has the title... I bet he would spend the money .QUICKLY When the guy said he wouldnt give the title until the check cleared the buyer should have said "OK we will just do the deal at my bank in the morning" The title would be notarized then too. WHY WASNT THIS NOT POSSIBLE?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive