Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 07:29 PM

6 posts, read 188,960 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Just a question about what options I have to get a vehicle title from the person I got the car from.

On February 5th, I bought a 1999 Honda Accord for $3700.00. On the spot, I paid 1800 cash, and $1900.00 in a check. The owner at the time wouldn't give me the title of Vehicle because he wanted the check to be cashed. I agreed to that, and he cashed the check the next morning.

Between February and March, I called him 14 times according to my phone bill. But I either got no answer, or an excuse about how he couldn't provide the Title. I continued to drive the car.

on April 20th, I had a not-at-fault accident, and my insurance company wont make repairs till the title is in my name. I called the guy listed on the title on Saturday, informed him of the situation, and for the first time - he actually told me "NO - I just can't hand over the title now"!!!!!!!

My question is with a hand written receipt, and a copy of the check that he cashed, do I have any chance of ever getting that title, at least legally? Or, am I just screwed the heck over?

If there is something that I'm not seeing from his point of view, could some one help me understand why he wont give the title. I only see it as I gave him the cash out right - with no problems. But he wont hand the title over.

Ben
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 07:35 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratt_96 View Post
Hello,

Just a question about what options I have to get a vehicle title from the person I got the car from.

On February 5th, I bought a 1999 Honda Accord for $3700.00. On the spot, I paid 1800 cash, and $1900.00 in a check. The owner at the time wouldn't give me the title of Vehicle because he wanted the check to be cashed. I agreed to that, and he cashed the check the next morning.

Between February and March, I called him 14 times according to my phone bill. But I either got no answer, or an excuse about how he couldn't provide the Title. I continued to drive the car.

on April 20th, I had a not-at-fault accident, and my insurance company wont make repairs till the title is in my name. I called the guy listed on the title on Saturday, informed him of the situation, and for the first time - he actually told me "NO - I just can't hand over the title now"!!!!!!!

My question is with a hand written receipt, and a copy of the check that he cashed, do I have any chance of ever getting that title, at least legally? Or, am I just screwed the heck over?

If there is something that I'm not seeing from his point of view, could some one help me understand why he wont give the title. I only see it as I gave him the cash out right - with no problems. But he wont hand the title over.

Ben
He cant give you the title because he probably dose not have it. The car may be financed at one of those buy here/pay here places.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:50 PM

6 posts, read 188,960 times
At the time of the purchase I did SEE the title. But no one can tell what he's done w/ it since then.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:34 PM

409 posts, read 1,033,545 times
Perhaps if you paid for the repairs and handed him the bill he might produce the title. If you decide to do that tell the person and maybe he will start digging for the title most ricky tick...Sounds a little fishy to me.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:41 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Tell him to either give you the title today or you will see him in court and sue him for what you paid for the vehicle.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:41 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
The longer you let this drag out the less chance you have of ever seeing that title. Heck, he may have sold that car multiple times for all you know.

I wouldn't call. I would show up at his house. Where he works. Wherever you have to and demand the title.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:42 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Who the hell hands over $3700 without getting the title???????

Old 04-26-2012, 08:49 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I would contrqact the police. In mpost states tehre are requiremnt o what you must handover to the buyer o sale of a car. Hopefuly you got a receipt.You also might want to serch the tilte to see if it c\aler title with no lean on it.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:59 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
get a copy of the check you gave him from your bank, and contact the local PD, and have them go with you to get the title to the car. if he cant produce it then, you can offer, i front of the cop as a witness, to either sue the guy in civil court, of have the cop arrest him on fraud charges.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:04 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,576,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratt_96 View Post
Hello,

Ben
OK first let me say I am not a lawyer. But having worked in the auto motive business for 34 yrs.

I have come across this situation a few times usually he can't give the title because he doesn't have possession of it. What you should have done was go to the bank and cash the check with him then get the title .

Now in your situation all you need to do is mail him a demand letter, in the letter demand that within 24 hr he produce the title or return your money in full. The laws are in your favor because a person can't legally enter into a contract to sell something you don't own .

If he doesn't give you the title or refund your money , now you can go to small claims court , file your action , get him served by the court and he must appear, if he doesn't appear then you win judgment against him. Now you can go to DMV and request a title search which will show who really has the title( lien Holders name). DMV at this point can cancel his driving privileges until he resolves the issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive