U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 08:17 AM

20,092 posts, read 10,727,885 times

Advertisements

1988 Pontiac Grand Prix. 2.8 liter V6. Bad transmission, went out 3 times while I owned it. Terrible car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 08:20 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,429,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
A 1987 Dodge Daytona - what a piece of junk, it was the main reason why I swore off Chrysler products forever.
My sentiments exactly. I had an 84 Dodge Daytona turbo coupe, and , among other semi-minor aggravations, it spent two weeks in the shop, while the "mechanics" at the dealership tried to locate an electrical short, which caused the car to shut down completely.
Once it was fixed, it was gone; bought a new 85 Mustang GT, and had zero problems with it.
That Daytona was my first and LAST Chrysler product.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:02 AM

994 posts, read 1,305,786 times
Wow...and I thought my Taurus was bad. It looks like a lot of people seem to have problems overall. My own experience is that most cars seem to be good except the small and midsize domestic cars, especially the older stuff. My parents bought an 87 Mercury Topaz brand new back in 1987 and that thing was a nightmare. Fast forward to 2002 and they bought a 97 Dodge Stratus with 60K miles on it for $3K and it blew a gasket about a year later and I think they donated it to their mechanic. That was a POS along with a 01 Saturn SC they bought a year after that. We've had both foreign and domestic and the only real stinkers were the small and midsize domestics. I think it's because stuff like my Taurus and the Neon and Cavalier, etc., were basically designed to be rental cars and not for long term individual ownership. Just as an example, I had the manager at the local OReillys tell me that the Taurus AX transmissions had a plastic piece that basically held the transmission together (that's supposedly why those transmissions flew apart so much). Who puts plastic inside a transmission case? I'm not a gearhead and even I know that's trouble.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:06 AM

8,885 posts, read 15,773,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave82 View Post
1977 Dodge Aspen. Went thru 3 transmissions and 2 rear ends in the first 70k. Will never own a Crysler product again.
I had a '79 Volare, same car basically, finally parked it with about 135K which was a lot of miles for a vehicle from that era. Still ran, it just needed a lot of little things in order to drive it safely and reliably. Never had an engine or transmission problem, I did have to replace the rearend at about 100K but that was due to my negligence in letting the differential run dry because I didn't take care of a leak in time. Just pointing out that not everybody's experience with a particular model will be the same. Big rust problems with those F-bodies though.

If we define "worst" as shortest length of time before a major breakdown, mine would be a 1967 Fury I. I bought it the summer I graduated from the estate of an old guy who had probably never driven it out of town. I started driving it like a normal car and spun a bearing Thanksgiving weekend the same year, so it lasted less than five months. But I only paid $75 for it, had some good times driving it, and it saved a little wear and tear on my "good" car, so I have no major complaints.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:32 AM

891 posts, read 1,692,827 times
2004 VW Touareg. All the bells and whistles (nav, adj, air suspension etc.) - $48K OTD. A total piece of junk. Constant electrical gremlins, tire wear issues, binding brakes, fuel line chaffing, transmission whine and shunting when coming to a stop, 2 new transfer cases.
It was in the shop for repairs or recalls 5 weeks in the first 6 months. The main issue is the dealers, they just didn't care. Even though the car was under warranty, it was a real struggle just to get a loaner/rental car whilst your car was in the shop for weeks at a time. Eventually sold it. A good lesson for me in never buying the first model year of a new car.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:42 AM

5,481 posts, read 10,107,831 times
My early '90's Pontiac Transport. Anemic engine, switchgear was put together with chewing gum (so it seemed). It was good for work and carrying a lot of buddies for a night out.

The worst was the '03 Nickel and Daimler Grand Caravan. I really liked the way it drove but it had lots of non-standard repairs. Power window motor, rear tailgate motor, sliding door issues, ball joint issues and on and on. Traded it at close to 80,000 miles because it needed over $1500 of repairs-all non wear and tear stuff. As a contrast the 02 Honda Odyssey- at 144,000 needed a brake fluid line replaced due to rust. FIRST non regular wear and tear item and due to age and mileage you could argue it is in the "wear and tear" category.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:08 AM

24,904 posts, read 60,069,807 times
Tough choice for me between a 1980 Pontiac Subird and a 1988 or 1989 Hyundai Excel. The Hyundai was actaulyl my wife's, so I will go with the sunbird.

Dumbest design ever. Had to lift the engine off the mounts in order to change spark plugs. The carbureator was this massive thing that gunked up all the time and generated terrible gas mileage and no power even when it was working propeperly (which was rare). The Car caught on fire several times. THe most memorable were when I was going down a mountain and braking a lot. (I tried to use the engine to brake, but the converter got so hot, the bottoms of the seats were melting). The tail light housing was entirely plastic. The heat from the brake light bulb melted the housing and the bulb dropped down into the trunk. Eventually it set my towels on fire, I just pulled over, chcked the flaming bundle of towels alongside the freeway and unplugged the tail light. The other tail light eventually melted thrugh the lens on the other side. (Duct tape repair). THe final time it caught on fire I was pulling out of a gas station. there was a loud Pop from under the hood and smoke poured out. WHen I opened the hood, it burst into flames probably six feet high. The gas statoin guys panicked and blasted it with several fire extinguishers (coating several passing cars inside and out as well). The fire did a lot of damage, but the extinguisher stuff got sucked into the engine and led to a total loss. HOORAY! I was happy even though I had to ride a bike for 6 weeks or so while fighting with the insurance company and then finding a replacement car.

Another odd thing about the Sunbird was that the federal govt had mandated that a certain percentage of fasteners on cars had to be metric by a certain date. Thus, the fasteners were a mix of SAE and metric. You had to have both types handy to work on the car.

It was bad mileage, slower than molassas, small and uncomfortable, difficult and expensive to repair, unreliable, prone to burst into flames, and basically ugly. However it had a really nice large sunroof.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:42 AM

31,433 posts, read 57,691,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easychair View Post
'73 Chevy Vega GT (bought new) head gasket would blow every 15k miles.
You win! LOL

Old 04-30-2012, 10:50 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,429,454 times
Although I earlier mentioned an 84 Dodge Daytona, my actual worst car ever was an 87 VW Scirocco.
I was tired of slipping & sliding in my Mustang GT, even with four snow tires, so I wanted a FWD sporty car, and in 1987, there were few choices.
My VW was in for warranty work 16 times in less than two years, the worst being an A/C failure in July.
The car also had a crap warranty, it was , I believe, only two years, or 24,000. I unloaded this POS right before the warranty expired, but took a bath trading into a Mazda RX7, which was a very good car.
No more VW"s for me.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:54 AM

4,976 posts, read 14,076,542 times
'79 Triumph TR-7. Fun car to drive...when it was working.....which wasn't very often. Mine was the dark green color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or