Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2012, 07:12 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,605,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Well since you don't sound like a likely convert, just give us 3 feet of space and don't worry us getting doored. Also, if you don't like cyclists disobeying rules, you can get on your local politicans to enforce the laws. This is an enforcement issue, not a behavior issue. Drivers would speed more if not for police enforcement, right?

And about getting doored - if bicycle lanes were designed properly it would happen a lot less. In most U.S. bike lane designs cyclists protect the cars, instead of the other way around:
I'll pay for your hobby when you start paying for mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
It's not a hobby everywhere; in cities (especially older ones that don't have a whole bunch of freeways and 45 mph blvds everywhere), cycling is a mode of transportation to get people to and from the places they need to go cheaply while improving air quality in the city (traffic in cities leads to bad air).

So more money is available to the local economy because cyclists aren't paying out $8-12 to park every day, there is less car traffic so it moves btetter, and there are less collective health costs due to better air. Why not invest in that?
Majority of the cyclists I see are riding $5000 bikes and wear spandex. They aren't commuting to work.

And the ones that are, usually obey the laws, don't impede traffic, and are on a sidewalk.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:27 AM

7,305 posts, read 13,439,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Majority of the cyclists I see are riding $5000 bikes and wear spandex. They aren't commuting to work.

And the ones that are, usually obey the laws, don't impede traffic, and are on a sidewalk.
Riding on the sidewalk is against the law, almost universally.

South Carolina is not exactly known for being bicycle friendly. But you should get out sometime and see what happens in places where the BMI is a bit lower and see places where it happens.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:30 AM

7,305 posts, read 13,439,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
I'll pay for your hobby when you start paying for mine.
I do. I own a car and put gas in it. Roads taxes are collected on that. Registration fees too.

I've also purchased fuel in South Carolina. So I have supported your hobby.

Don't need your support, just a little more awareness/little less arrogance and hatred towards someone who is doing something that you don't understand.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:07 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,418,537 times
Quote:
I do. I own a car and put gas in it. Roads taxes are collected on that. Registration fees too.

I've also purchased fuel in South Carolina. So I have supported your hobby.

Don't need your support, just a little more awareness/little less arrogance and hatred towards someone who is doing something that you don't understand.
Quote:"I do. I own a car and put gas in it. Roads taxes are collected on that. Registration fees too."

That is good. Since you use the roads, you should help pay for them. I don't use the bicycle lanes, so please don't ask me to pay for them. (To go a step further, please don't ask me to pay for anything I don't use. Thank you very much).

Quote:"Don't need your support, just a little more awareness/little less arrogance and hatred towards someone who is doing something that you don't understand."

Do you mind if I walk down your street (legally), with an MP5 slung over my shoulder? "just a little more awareness/little less arrogance and hatred towards someone who is doing something that you don't understand."

I believe Mustang is fully aware, and thus his (and mine, and about a zillion others) are concerned. (It is not hatred).

Old 05-04-2012, 10:53 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,118,135 times
SuperSparkle928 do you think that your fuel tax is only used to build roads?

Did you know your income tax is sent to different states for road projects.

The United States federal gas tax originated in 1932 as a series of new taxes to balance the federal budget. President Hoover meant it to be temporary, but over the decades it became permanent. It started at 1 cent per gallon of gasoline, and gradually rose to 18.4 cents per gallon through the 1993 Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act.

1. Highways
    • Most of the revenue from the federal gasoline excise tax is paid into the Highway TrustFund. The Fund uses the money for federal highway and bridge improvements. This is a useful tool for increasing employment in the construction sector, especially during the summer.
    Deficit Reduction

• A significant amount of federal gas revenue goes into the General Fund, which helps reduce the annual federalbudget deficit. For example, in 1990, a new tax of 2.5 cents per gallon was instituted on rail transportation. Proceeds went into the General Fund during the five-year duration of the program.
    Public Transportation

• About a third of federal gas tax revenue in the Highway Trust Fund also goes toward subsidizing local public transit projects. The argument for a highway fund being used for mass transit is that it reduces the number of drivers on the roads. Jonathan Williams of the Tax Foundation, among others, has argued that this is an inefficient use of highway funds, although more efficient than many earmarks that federal gas tax revenue has been used for.
Read more: What Are Federal Gas Taxes Used For? | eHow.com What Are Federal Gas Taxes Used For? | eHow.com

In some states a % of the tax is used just for beautification of the right-of-way.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:50 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,418,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
SuperSparkle928 do you think that your fuel tax is only used to build roads?

Did you know your income tax is sent to different states for road projects.

The United States federal gas tax originated in 1932 as a series of new taxes to balance the federal budget. President Hoover meant it to be temporary, but over the decades it became permanent. It started at 1 cent per gallon of gasoline, and gradually rose to 18.4 cents per gallon through the 1993 Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act.

1. Highways
    • Most of the revenue from the federal gasoline excise tax is paid into the Highway TrustFund. The Fund uses the money for federal highway and bridge improvements. This is a useful tool for increasing employment in the construction sector, especially during the summer.
    Deficit Reduction

• A significant amount of federal gas revenue goes into the General Fund, which helps reduce the annual federalbudget deficit. For example, in 1990, a new tax of 2.5 cents per gallon was instituted on rail transportation. Proceeds went into the General Fund during the five-year duration of the program.
    Public Transportation

• About a third of federal gas tax revenue in the Highway Trust Fund also goes toward subsidizing local public transit projects. The argument for a highway fund being used for mass transit is that it reduces the number of drivers on the roads. Jonathan Williams of the Tax Foundation, among others, has argued that this is an inefficient use of highway funds, although more efficient than many earmarks that federal gas tax revenue has been used for.
Read more: What Are Federal Gas Taxes Used For? | eHow.com What Are Federal Gas Taxes Used For? | eHow.com

In some states a % of the tax is used just for .
You missed my point (as usual). My point was I am willing to pay for things I use or want or enjoy (like beautification of the right-of-way), and a whole laundry list of other things.

Cutting and pasting off the web of what people can well read on their own is really annoying (the 'appearance of rigor')

Also, please read this, as it will help:

Reading Comprehension Worksheets - 2nd Grade

Old 05-04-2012, 04:17 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,188,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
That says it all for me.

You are the typical cyclist that motorists hate.

You only obey the stop signs when you have to, otherwise, you run them. You pick and choose what laws you want to obey.
Just like you as a driver do, unless you are amongst the .00001% of drivers who ALWAYS follows the speed limit and always follows every law on the book without reproach.
I know there are those who cannot understand why a cyclist doesn't stop at a stop sign with no traffic and treats it like a yield sign and unless you cycle a lot -you won't understand.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Riding on the sidewalk is against the law, almost universally.

South Carolina is not exactly known for being bicycle friendly. But you should get out sometime and see what happens in places where the BMI is a bit lower and see places where it happens.
Typical attitude of a biker... Think they are better then everyone and laws do not apply...

FWIW I have only lived in SC for 1.5 years, I am from all over FL.

There is a time and place to do your hobby, busy streets that affect normal flow of traffic is not that time.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:55 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,452,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Just like you as a driver do, unless you are amongst the .00001% of drivers who ALWAYS follows the speed limit and always follows every law on the book without reproach.
I know there are those who cannot understand why a cyclist doesn't stop at a stop sign with no traffic and treats it like a yield sign and unless you cycle a lot -you won't understand.
In the small town I used to live in (another state) the cyclists routinely ran in large packs, ran stop signs, ran traffic signals, went well over speed limits (25mph), sprayed friendly dogs with pepper spray, yelled obscenities at children who were in their way, cut-off motorists who were observing traffic laws... and on an on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive