Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 12:13 AM

21,599 posts, read 24,739,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
Why not? They compete directly in both size and price. Tle Lexus LS, on the other hand, is a larger, more expensive vehicle.

When comparing Lexus to Acura, here are their equivalent models:
Lexus IS = Acura TSX
Lexus ES = Acura TL
Lexus GS = Acura RL
Lexus LS = <no Acura equivalent>
Lexus IS = entry-sport luxury. Acura TSX is an Accord. Not that comparable.
Lexus ES = fancied Camry. Acura TL is more of a Ford Taurus. Not that comparable.
Lexus GS = A6/5-Series/E-class competitor. Acura RL = well... yeah. It's priced about the same as a GS, but it's a joke... probably why it is being outsold by the GS by 40-50:1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 07:40 AM

7,297 posts, read 12,201,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Because it is a SPORTS sedan.

The RL is not.
Well, the RL surely is no Lexus LS competitor, and the closest Lexus model to the RL in both price and size is the GS. It doesn't matter if one is sportier than the other; they are direct competitors hands down. The GS just greatly outsells the RL.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:58 PM

21,599 posts, read 24,739,140 times
Quote:
Well, the RL surely is no Lexus LS competitor, and the closest Lexus model to the RL in both price and size is the GS. It doesn't matter if one is sportier than the other; they are direct competitors hands down. The GS just greatly outsells the RL.
The RL's closest competitor is the TL... which is the problem. They're within a few inches/pounds of one another, a fully optioned TL-SHAWD is better equipped, more powerful, handles and rides better, gets better mileage, and costs a few thousand less. The RL is pointless.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:47 PM

52 posts, read 141,871 times
The Acura RL's competitors are the BMW 5 Series, Lincoln MKS, Volkswagen Passat, Buick Lucerne, Hyundai Genesis, Hyundai Azera, Lexus GS, Chrysler 300, Cadillac XTS, Audi A6, Mercedes Benz E Class, Infiniti M, Volvo S60, Cadillac CTS, and the Volvo S80.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:51 PM

11,054 posts, read 16,747,040 times
Acura needs to wheel out a flagship sedan with a V8 before it'll be able to stand with the likes of the LS, or the 7-series, S-class, etc.

I am a Honda fan, but Honda has lost their way over the last few years and there's not much in their current lineup that interests me. Acura has always been a tricky brand - while Lexus has always tried to stay strictly-upmarket, Acura, and to a lesser extent Infiniti, have always tried to keep one foot in the bread-and-butter market, with cars like the Integra and RSX. They've traditionally had very little brand recognition across the board: that Integra looked absolutely squat like a contemporary RL, and the RL looked nothing like the MDX.

They had a chance to do it right this time, but they didn't. Oh well. Maybe next time.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:07 AM

6,478 posts, read 6,111,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Lexus IS = entry-sport luxury. Acura TSX is an Accord. Not that comparable.
Lexus ES = fancied Camry. Acura TL is more of a Ford Taurus. Not that comparable.
Lexus GS = A6/5-Series/E-class competitor. Acura RL = well... yeah. It's priced about the same as a GS, but it's a joke... probably why it is being outsold by the GS by 40-50:1.
Can't wait for the RLX in winter 2013

Old 07-13-2012, 06:39 AM

995 posts, read 3,919,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Acura needs to wheel out a flagship sedan with a V8 before it'll be able to stand with the likes of the LS, or the 7-series, S-class, etc.
Honda has never built V8 engines for passenger cars. Explains why they never produced a decent truck.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:29 AM

7,297 posts, read 12,201,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Can't wait for the RLX in winter 2013
As far as I know, the RLX still isn't going to be a true Lexus LS competitor. The updates planned for it will help it be more competitive with the Lexus GS and Infiniti M, but still not up to the level of the Lexus LS.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:01 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,090,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post

I am a Honda fan, but Honda has lost their way over the last few years and there's not much in their current lineup that interests me. Acura has always been a tricky brand - while Lexus has always tried to stay strictly-upmarket, Acura, and to a lesser extent Infiniti, have always tried to keep one foot in the bread-and-butter market, with cars like the Integra and RSX. They've traditionally had very little brand recognition across the board: that Integra looked absolutely squat like a contemporary RL, and the RL looked nothing like the MDX.

They had a chance to do it right this time, but they didn't. Oh well. Maybe next time.
I agree... they need to offer a large, RWD, V8 sedan in order to compete with LS, S-Class, etc. I too have always loved Hondas, but that ended with the "light" redesign of the '05 Accord. I like the 03-04 Accord taillights/wheels better than the 05-07 models, then I have no use at all for the current Accord. It has never inspired me.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:03 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,090,528 times
Quote:
As far as I know, the RLX still isn't going to be a true Lexus LS competitor. The updates planned for it will help it be more competitive with the Lexus GS and Infiniti M, but still not up to the level of the Lexus LS.
Yeah, I just seen some pics of it and it dont look it comes anywhere close to the size of an LS, S-Class, 7-Series, etc. They need to widen it, lengthen it and put in a V8 for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive