Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Porsche
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 08:50 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,550,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
This about sums it up:

What Your Car Says About You

corvette = midlife crisis (balding older male, driving one that is fire-engine red)

Wouldn't take any model of one, even if it were free (well, I would take it, and have it in Hemmings before I could even sit down).

JMHO

(Though I would consider the 68-72 with the big block, or the earlier Stingrays, like a splitback but that is just for nostalgia).

Never said it's not a midlife crisis car. So what it is? :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 09:19 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,316,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Could you enlighten me on the GS vs the base model?

Same engine, same transmission options, same interior....so other than wheels/flared fenders what do you get for te extra 10k?
Are you serious?
How are you even in this debate if you don't know the difference?

GS = faster.

It's the only reason I got it over the base.

I don't care whether or not it looks like a ZO6.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:26 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,688,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
This about sums it up:

What Your Car Says About You

corvette = midlife crisis (balding older male, driving one that is fire-engine red)

Wouldn't take any model of one, even if it were free (well, I would take it, and have it in Hemmings before I could even sit down).

JMHO

(Though I would consider the 68-72 with the big block, or the earlier Stingrays, like a splitback but that is just for nostalgia).
Stereotypes are almost always inaccurate and only account for a small percentage of buyers. The vast majority of 'Vette buyers I've met are usually either successful businessmen or well-off retirees who want to recapture their youth. I'm 31 and probably in the minority of owners but have no problem with that.

I don't think I've heard anyone say they wouldn't want a Z06 or ZR1. I'd probably sell my kidney for the new 427 Convertible coming out this summer- Z06 engine with a convertible top? Count me in!

Old 05-07-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Stereotypes are almost always inaccurate and only account for a small percentage of buyers. The vast majority of 'Vette buyers I've met are usually either successful businessmen or well-off retirees who want to recapture their youth. I'm 31 and probably in the minority of owners but have no problem with that.

I don't think I've heard anyone say they wouldn't want a Z06 or ZR1. I'd probably sell my kidney for the new 427 Convertible coming out this summer- Z06 engine with a convertible top? Count me in!
Nope. Every 'Vette owner I know is in his 30s. Three of them acquired their cars while in their 20s.

I just don't hang out with that many 50 year-old mid-life crisis types. So maybe there are more of them with Corvettes.

Then again, like I said, I am not an enthusiast, so I don't do the clubs or groups or whatever.

And Speedy and JohnVan on here are young, too.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:59 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,550,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Nope. Every 'Vette owner I know is in his 30s. Three of them acquired their cars while in their 20s.

I just don't hang out with that many 50 year-old mid-life crisis types. So maybe there are more of them with Corvettes.

Then again, like I said, I am not an enthusiast, so I don't do the clubs or groups or whatever.

And Speedy and JohnVan on here are young, too.
What should I start my midlife crisis? When do typical people do?

Old 05-07-2012, 01:45 PM

I am not sure I even understand what a mid-life crisis is.

I am always freaking out that I haven't done something important with my life. I'm 36 and I have been doing that for 8 years now...

Is that it? Or is it the realization that we're not young? Hell, one pick-up basketball game with a bunch of 18 year-olds will school you on that fact ASAP.

Totally off-thread, but still...

I guess if you're looking for mid-life crisis car, pick the one that matches your toupe.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:06 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,688,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am not sure I even understand what a mid-life crisis is.

I am always freaking out that I haven't done something important with my life. I'm 36 and I have been doing that for 8 years now...

Is that it? Or is it the realization that we're not young? Hell, one pick-up basketball game with a bunch of 18 year-olds will school you on that fact ASAP.

Totally off-thread, but still...

I guess if you're looking for mid-life crisis car, pick the one that matches your toupe.
I think if you want to quantify a midlife crisis, it's basically the realization that you're simply getting older and may not have accomplished goals you've set for yourself by this point. I think this is why many men feel the need to get a motorcycle/sports car/boat etc to reinvigorate their youth and maybe make up for things they've always wanted to do but haven't yet done.

Hell I'm 31 and I already can tell I'm aging.

I wake up between 5-530 am every morning...when I was in my late teens and early 20's, I sometimes didn't go to BED until then. When I get up, it sounds like I was sleeping on packing peanuts with things creaking and cracking and popping. Sometimes I feel like I need some WD-40 on my joints. When I was younger, I may not have gone out until 11 pm at night, these days I'm home and in bed by 11 pm!

There are the upsides to getting older...mainly you have an income that supports hobbies that may have been unaffordable when you were young. I used to go to car shows as a teenager and drool over sports cars, now that I'm older I can afford to have something fun to drive. I can afford toys like my truck, 'Vette, boat, etc whereas I'd never been able to do that when I was younger.

Getting older is a fact of life, might as well embrace it! This is why I don't drive boring cars, life's too damn short to drive a Honda or Toyota.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post

Getting older is a fact of life, might as well embrace it! This is why I don't drive boring cars, life's too damn short to drive a Honda or Toyota.
A-freakin'-men.

Oh, buddy...you want aging?
I promised myself a Ferrari for my 35th birthday. I mean, since I was a freakin' kid.

I got to that birthday and I can't even believe it. My 25 year-old self would b****-slap my 35 year-old self. I said, "Meh. I don't want some precious, dainty garage queen." And I didn't pull the trigger. And I am NOT remotely sad about it. What. The. EFF?!

Old 05-07-2012, 02:33 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,915,398 times
Someone mentioned the 914 1.7 which is a dog in my opinion as a VW mechanic that has rebuilt them for a living. Larger pistons and a shorter stroke...lousey heads etc.

Love the 67 911 with the dual carbs...a trip to work on and drive.

Did own a 57 356A cpe which handled real well ( wish I still had it today).

Comes down to what a person likes in style and how much down pymt they can make.

Most people never pay off their car but trade up for a later model and continue making pymts .

As for me....I drive a old 66 VW bug with a custom Turbo engine that puts out close to 200 HP.

Car is clean and care less what others may think as I probably have more money invested in it then the person driving a New 2011/12 car parked next to me at the grocery store.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:45 PM

4,786 posts, read 10,597,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
What should I start my midlife crisis? When do typical people do?
Why not start a new thread, or three, on your midlife crisis potential date(s)?

Maybe on some other forum, than the 'automotive' board...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Porsche