Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 12:07 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,404,881 times

Advertisements

I think the "old rules" don't really apply in a lot of areas these days. With so many states and municipalities in bad shape financially due to the recession, many police depts are now revenue generators even more now than in the past. That's particularly true here in Texas, where we have the 2nd worst budget crisis in the country. They're especially desperate for any revenue they can muster. I've been stopped twice in the past three years - both for 3mph over the limit. Once by a state trooper and the other time by a local yokel.

In both cases, I was on a 4 lane highway in light traffic in mid-afternoon in sunny weather. 58 in a 55mph zone on one stop and 73 in a 70mph zone the other time. Both times I was using the cruise control, which I routinely set at 3mph over the limit, thinking no cop would bother. Well, I was wrong. Neither time did I get a ticket - just a warning. But both times the cops really gave me, my paperwork and the vehicle a good going over - just looking for something to write up. But I always have my ducks lined up, so there was nothing they could gig me on.

I'm a careful driver. I've been driving for 44 years and I've only gotten 5 tickets in that span of time - the last one 12 years ago.

So, beware when you're on the road. Especially here in Texas. They're very eager to get into your wallet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 12:56 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,658,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I think the "old rules" don't really apply in a lot of areas these days. With so many states and municipalities in bad shape financially due to the recession, many police depts are now revenue generators even more now than in the past. That's particularly true here in Texas, where we have the 2nd worst budget crisis in the country. They're especially desperate for any revenue they can muster. I've been stopped twice in the past three years - both for 3mph over the limit. Once by a state trooper and the other time by a local yokel.

In both cases, I was on a 4 lane highway in light traffic in mid-afternoon in sunny weather. 58 in a 55mph zone on one stop and 73 in a 70mph zone the other time. Both times I was using the cruise control, which I routinely set at 3mph over the limit, thinking no cop would bother. Well, I was wrong. Neither time did I get a ticket - just a warning. But both times the cops really gave me, my paperwork and the vehicle a good going over - just looking for something to write up. But I always have my ducks lined up, so there was nothing they could gig me on.

I'm a careful driver. I've been driving for 44 years and I've only gotten 5 tickets in that span of time - the last one 12 years ago.

So, beware when you're on the road. Especially here in Texas. They're very eager to get into your wallet.
Perhaps, you, or your car, look like something they thought needed to be checked out.

I have a 95 Deville with tinted windows.
I got stopped often when driving that car in TX and OK, never for anything I think is significant, and have never actually gotten a ticket, but it seems the police always want to see what's behind those windows.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:06 PM

7,017 posts, read 14,404,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
Go and check the county rules where you live.

Where I live the fines are clearly spelled out for 1-5, 6-9, 10-15 over and so on. 1 to 5 over says warning ticket unless in school or construction zone. Therefore, I don't see cops stoping for 5 or less. So, pretty much 5 safe.

If I am alone on the road I go 5 over, otherwise I follow trafic and haven't gotten a ticket ever.
Check with your locale but in many places, a ticket for up to 5 over won't result in any points.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:10 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,404,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Perhaps, you, or your car, look like something they thought needed to be checked out.

I have a 95 Deville with tinted windows.
I got stopped often when driving that car in TX and OK, never for anything I think is significant, and have never actually gotten a ticket, but it seems the police always want to see what's behind those windows.

I'm a 60 year old white guy. Very generic looking. At the time I was driving a Nissan Altima 4dr sedan. White. TX plates. No bling. Very generic looking. Thousands just like it on the road everywhere. Current license, insurance, registration, inspection sticker, the whole thing.

I'm convinced they were fishing.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:08 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,881,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yes, I know. That's why I said what I said. I don't think I want to be on that road with a driver who thinks he is "dazzleman". The only 'certain circumstances' under which that road is safe at 82 is when there are exactly zero other cars on it as far as the eye can see, and it's daytime and visibility is unlimited and the road is dry.
It depends on the road. There are roads with a 55 mph speed limit where I wouldn't go any faster. But around here, many of the interstates that were built for higher speeds have 55 mph speed limits because the traffic is often heavy. But if you're on the road with light traffic, it can be safe to go up to around 80 mph or so.

But you'll be happy to know that I was stuck doing 10-15 mph in a 55 mph zone today for a long stretch because of road work. No worries about getting a ticket during that drive.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:17 PM

68,271 posts, read 53,985,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I think you need to ask this question on a geographic basis. There is no "standard" for this. In Texas, it is my experience that a state trooper will give you 10 MPH on a highway unless he has another reason to pull you over. But in cities and neighborhoods, the allowance is probably less. And sometimes a community will strictly enforce the speed limit.
These days I think you need to ask what the particular state's budget situation is.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:58 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,688,387 times
I'd say at how many mph you need to be over before the cop will pull you over depends on the cop in question. Some cops will pull you over if you're doing 2 mph over, others might let you slide at 9 mph.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:28 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,565,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
But if you're on the road with light traffic, it can be safe to go up to around 80 mph or so.
Only if ALL the other drivers expect you to be screaming up behind them at over 80. What do you do, drive with red flashers and sirens?

Old 05-05-2012, 09:20 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,881,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Only if ALL the other drivers expect you to be screaming up behind them at over 80. What do you do, drive with red flashers and sirens?
Under those conditions, most of them are going a similar speed. And I use the passing lane.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:57 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,565,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Under those conditions, most of them are going a similar speed. And I use the passing lane.
In that case, use my rule of thumb: Make sure you can always see somebody who is going faster than you are. If there are any dick cops around, they can see the faster guy, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive