Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 08:38 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times

Advertisements

What's 'acceptable'???
5 MPH over speed limit?
10 MPH over speed limit?
I read an article that says "most police officers will not stop a motorist for speeding unless he or she is traveling 5 to 10 mph over the limit."

5 over isn't much.
Whats been your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 08:42 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
What's 'acceptable'???
5 MPH over speed limit?
10 MPH over speed limit?
I read an article that says "most police officers will not stop a motorist for speeding unless he or she is traveling 5 to 10 mph over the limit."

5 over isn't much.
Whats been your experience?
I think you need to ask this question on a geographic basis. There is no "standard" for this. In Texas, it is my experience that a state trooper will give you 10 MPH on a highway unless he has another reason to pull you over. But in cities and neighborhoods, the allowance is probably less. And sometimes a community will strictly enforce the speed limit.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:43 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
It is all relative.

Try going 5-10 over in a school zone with flashing caution sign that has a 20mph or less limit and see what happens.

Doing 75 in a 70mph zone probably won't get noticed, but you can still get a ticket.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:46 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
In California, 10 mph seems to be the consensus among most (but not all) cops.

That's exactly what I was told by the cop last time I got pulled over many years ago (i.e. "I recommend you don't go more than 10 over if you don't want another ticket.").. and similar spiels given to my friends who had gotten tickets.

I don't personally know of anyone who has gotten a ticket for doing less than 10 over in California although I do hear of it from strangers.

Although lately, I may not always follow the speed limit, but I've rarely found any reason to go 10 over (or even anything more than 5 over).

Old 05-04-2012, 08:49 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I think you need to ask this question on a geographic basis..
Good point.
I'm in Las Vegas Nevada.
I heard a story yesterday about a guy that got a ticket for doing 68 in a 65.
Technically it IS speeding but still.....

Old 05-04-2012, 08:51 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
I will vary quite a bit but 5 is usually safe, 9 on the edge, and anything higher a clear ticket unless the officer is got something else on his mind. There are exceptions, I have seen 3 over in a school zone ticketed, and 20 over on the highway a pass, and of course if there is not a clean clocking you might get a pass on almost many speeds... then again a cop can write a ticket for anything at anytime and put you on the spot to defend yourself.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:55 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,377,094 times
About 10-12 mph over, however I have blown a speed trap on Interstate 75 in Southern Georgia and I was over by 15-20 and the officer did not even look at me.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:58 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
This will only lead to disappointment. "Everyone on the interwebs said I could drive 10 MPH over the limit and I got a ticket for only being 5 MPH over the limit. I got screwed".

Old 05-04-2012, 09:00 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
It depends on the road and location.
In a school zone. not much lean-way

On the open highway 5-7over is the standard line.

but

The but.

In some states and on some desolate highways it is hard to get stooped if you keep it under 90mph.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:16 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
This will only lead to disappointment. "Everyone on the interwebs said I could drive 10 MPH over the limit and I got a ticket for only being 5 MPH over the limit. I got screwed".
LOL Yeah, that's about right. Apart from where (and sometimes the where goes down to localities not just states) this also varies by speed. In a school zone or 25 MPH zone, getting stopped for less than 10 over would be more likely I would think. 10 over out in a 65 MPH zone doesn't seem to elicit any interest from the many state troopers I've passed over the last, eh, 15 years roughly. That's around the last time I got a ticket on the highway, and I was doing 78 in the 65, in the dark, with no other traffic (I even had a radar detector back then, but it was instant on with no other traffic). It was so late at night he probably stopped me just to make sure I wasn't under the influence, and then at 13 over that was enough to write the ticket. Actually, I might be remembering wrong. The damn speed limit might have been 55 in that section back then, thus a 23 over ticket, that is sounding more likely now....

I keep hearing from some corners that in Connecticut they're more likely to stop you for less than 10 over, but I've driven through there a number of times in the last few years, at my same typical 75 MPH speed, and I haven't been stopped, and I always see plenty of cops. I'm also careful, though, try not to be the fastest car around, pay attention to what the rest of the traffic is doing, etc.

Now once the speed limit goes up from 65, I think you'll get less leeway. I'm not sure about the 70 MPH states. Ohio just moved to that, I still go my same 75-ish speed generally. I figure that's safe. When I drove in New Mexico a few years ago where the limit is 75, I certainly didn't feel like I should be doing 85, but 80 seemed common and safe enough most of the time. I did have a hard time maintaining the rental Camry at 80 in some spots, just a tick faster than felt comfortable sometimes. Not everywhere I was driving was straight and flat, and yet the speed limit remained that in some of those places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive