Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 05:39 PM

430 posts, read 1,188,257 times

Advertisements

I just learned I got accepted into an Auto Tech program today for next year WOOH! i'm extremely happy! It's off campus from my high school . All I need to know is what are all the parts needed for a complete Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads engine rebuild (Single cam 5.0). What accessories would I also need to purchase. Also how much HP would ported trick flow heads from Total Engine Airflow @ Around 10:1 compression ratio give with good supporting mods. How can I get the most power, I'm willing to dump all of my money into this once I get a job ($7000 a year). I want this engine to be very high performance at least 350hp. Also were can one purchase straight cut gear and how much do they cost? Lastly how much would this project cost with parts cost and labor. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 05:42 PM

11,547 posts, read 52,903,008 times
You'd do well to go visit the speed shops in your area that have experience building these engines and can advise what parts they suggest to use, their itemized charges for the project, etc.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:22 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,776,627 times
congrats!! Here is a nice build up on one

Budget Windsor Build - 500HP Stroker Engine - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine

Old 05-04-2012, 06:26 PM

17,106 posts, read 56,712,890 times
I'm surprised that Sunsprit didn't mention this, but, if this is your first ever engine build, maybe you want to stay pretty close to stock, and concentrate on "blueprinting" - careful balancing of all 8 pistons to match the lightest one, maybe get some rings that are meant for you to grind the gap yourself, and grind it to minimums, etc?

The idea is to spend less and learn more. You learn about as much putting together stock parts, that you already have, and it costs less.

I don't know that much about this particular engine, but, depending on the cam you select, 10:1 compression may or may not work with pump gas.

Do you have a car that you intend to put this engine into? Plan to drive it on the street? Will it have to pass SMOG? Will you drive it on salted winter roads there in VA? Any car driven on salted roads is essentially junk in 10 to 15 years. Assuming you can work around all this, with an uprated engine, you will need to uprate the suspension and at the very least put some better brake pads on the fronts, at the very least. You will need to go to some stickier tires, which will both cost more and wear out quicker.

You are a young fellow, you have plenty of time to develop into a Real Car Guy, get a real job, move out of the rust belt...

Old 05-04-2012, 08:59 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,772,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Miaugie View Post
I just learned I got accepted into an Auto Tech program today for next year WOOH! i'm extremely happy! It's off campus from my high school . All I need to know is what are all the parts needed for a complete Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads engine rebuild (Single cam 5.0). What accessories would I also need to purchase. Also how much HP would ported trick flow heads from Total Engine Airflow @ Around 10:1 compression ratio give with good supporting mods. How can I get the most power, I'm willing to dump all of my money into this once I get a job ($7000 a year). I want this engine to be very high performance at least 350hp. Also were can one purchase straight cut gear and how much do they cost? Lastly how much would this project cost with parts cost and labor. Any thoughts?
First Congratulations young man. Nice to see spirit in young folks.

Next what year Ford 302 Windsor block? I ask to see if it is standard hyraulic or the later roller camshafts.

Carburetor or fuel injection?

A complete engine rebuild from oil pan to intake or heads and camshaft only?

Get a Jegs or Summit Catalog for rebuild kits so you can prep. a budget

Last edited by Felix C; 05-04-2012 at 09:32 PM..

Old 05-05-2012, 03:44 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,052,362 times
How about if you wait until you start your training and you know why you get whatever and what it will do for you? You can spend many thousands and get nothing more than a car that sounds like a punk owns it.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:37 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,292,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
2nd, what Frank said.

BTW Trick Flow twisted wedge heads for Ford require special headers. Typical sb Ford headers won't fit.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:57 AM

430 posts, read 1,188,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
First Congratulations young man. Nice to see spirit in young folks.

Next what year Ford 302 Windsor block? I ask to see if it is standard hyraulic or the later roller camshafts.

Carburetor or fuel injection?

A complete engine rebuild from oil pan to intake or heads and camshaft only?

Get a Jegs or Summit Catalog for rebuild kits so you can prep. a budget
Fuel injected, 87-93 5.0 is what im looking for. Heads & camshaft only.
@PDD where can I purchase these headers. And thank you to frankgn87 and Felix C!

Old 05-05-2012, 12:07 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,772,235 times
A few months ago I decided to see what is out there for the 5.0 compared to when I did my mods and found this for $2649 or so. BTW, I paid more than that in mid-1990s dollars for the same parts. So things have actually declined in prices.

Trick Flow Specialties TFS-K514-360350B - Trick Flow® 360 HP Twisted Wedge® Top-End Engine Kits for Ford 5.0L - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Now if that is out of budget there is another way via the parts section in various Mustang forums.
You know, I wonder if there are any good deals in the mags nowadays. Head thee down to Barnes and Noble and peruse the Ford related mags for clearance offers from vendors.

I just looked through jcwhitney.com and there is E 302 Windsor stuff available.

Last edited by Felix C; 05-05-2012 at 12:36 PM..

Old 05-05-2012, 12:32 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,617,896 times
before you go dumping a ton of money into a bunch of flashy high end parts, you want to first make sure that the bottom end is capable of handling the power. it does no good to use the TFS heads and a big thumper cam if the bottom end blows apart the first time you dump the clutch.

as for making power, 300hp is easy from a 289/302 these days, and it is a rather mild build, and you dont need the high end heads to make that kind of power.

i am going to be building a 289 for my 66 mustang, when i get some money and time together. this is going to be my combination;

world products windsor jr heads
comp cams retrofit roller cam with .480 lift/ 260 duration. it is a single pattern cam
the rotating assembly has been balanced
i am using replacement cast pistons from TRW
a standard pressure/volume oil pump and 7qt low profile "T" sump oil pan round out the bottom end.
i will use tri-y headers like shelby used on the GT350s, with 2 1/4" dual exhaust.
as for the induction system, i have yet to finalize that, but some options i am considering are;

single four barrel intake, probably an edelbrock performer rpm or weiand stealth intake topped with an edelbrock 600cfm carb.

a dual quad intake topped with two edelbrock 500cfm carbs

a tri power intake with three autolite two barrel carbs.

or any of the three intakes with some form of fuel injection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln