U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 08:17 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,555,748 times

Advertisements

The offer sounds about right for around here. Most dealers don't want the Highlander. It's not a favorite on the used car lots regardless of miles. As typical, Toyota is now paying for it's incredible pricing of parts. The reliability is just that of any other maker which makes the paid premium costly. It's not a smart buy anymore.

Whoever said Ford won't go the miles is clueless. They're going as good as anything you buy regardless of price. I would suggest not buying into the Ecoboost yet or any other direct injected engine. They're a long way from having them run right. By design, the Ecoboost, which is a GM 3.6 clone, works with a closed intake valve fire event. This is to reduce the deposits on the intake and intake valve stems. It's not working. The Ecoboost is also pumping oil into the intake system via the PCV system. A lot of the guys with the F150's are making homemade catch cans to capture the oil and it's helped a lot with intake deposits. Any direct injected engine is going to have this issue along with deposits in the intake system.

I guess these were just odd vehicles that had Ford name plates:
Home
Pickup Reaches Million-Mile Mark in Four Years | NBC 6 Miami
Ford Social: Thereís something happening here at Ford. Itís new.
My Totally Hot Car: Million-mile Mustang GT - Auto Motion : The Orange County Register
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 09:18 PM

9,886 posts, read 9,994,061 times
Try shortening the finance time if your cashflow allows. That at least minimizes the underwater effect. Saves a lot of money overall as well because you would pay out less interest. Similar to putting more down except you actually wouldn't need it up front, just over time in higher payments. In other words, finance it for 3 years not 5, or whatever.

Keeping it longer will help you equal out too but you have to keep it really long, long enough to pay it off at least I'd say, and with the mileage you rack up the heavier maintenance you need to do to it comes sooner. The older it gets, the more the mileage doesn't really matter. But it's still always going to be worth more to you knowing its history than it will be to someone else. The most effective thing to do is keep it for 10 years and rack up half a million miles on it.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:12 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,067,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
The offer sounds about right for around here. Most dealers don't want the Highlander. It's not a favorite on the used car lots regardless of miles. As typical, Toyota is now paying for it's incredible pricing of parts. The reliability is just that of any other maker which makes the paid premium costly. It's not a smart buy anymore.

Whoever said Ford won't go the miles is clueless. They're going as good as anything you buy regardless of price. I would suggest not buying into the Ecoboost yet or any other direct injected engine. They're a long way from having them run right. By design, the Ecoboost, which is a GM 3.6 clone, works with a closed intake valve fire event. This is to reduce the deposits on the intake and intake valve stems. It's not working. The Ecoboost is also pumping oil into the intake system via the PCV system. A lot of the guys with the F150's are making homemade catch cans to capture the oil and it's helped a lot with intake deposits. Any direct injected engine is going to have this issue along with deposits in the intake system.

I guess these were just odd vehicles that had Ford name plates:
Home
Pickup Reaches Million-Mile Mark in Four Years | NBC 6 Miami
Ford Social: Thereís something happening here at Ford. Itís new.
My Totally Hot Car: Million-mile Mustang GT - Auto Motion : The Orange County Register
Jeez really? I haven't seen an oil catch like that since I had one on a wheezy '79 AMC motor. That's pretty disappointing for ford, if true.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:10 PM

31 posts, read 19,447 times
Thanks again everyone, my brother has a 2000..something Ford Ranger, it's coming up on 170k with no major work done to it. (I wont be getting a Ford as much as I prefer there full size trucks( my early construction days)

When the moment is right, I'll check out the Camrys...I do agree with Greg on the financing, guess better to pay more for three years and be over with it.

Again many thanks to everyone... I think I got what I needed

Regards

I drive....too dam much!!!!!

Old 05-09-2012, 05:11 AM

36,415 posts, read 57,334,890 times
If you need a small SUV-type vehicle and mileage is a concern, take a close look at the new Mazda CX-5 Skyactiv, rated in the mid-30s for highway MPG. If you can hold out for another year, they're looking to bring a diesel model which should bring even better MPG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive