U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 04:07 PM

6,773 posts, read 3,871,151 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I just have a question about my car, an '03 Chevy Cavalier two-door car. We're having a bit of a rainy season here and I notice that on the highway my car slides a bit on wet roads. It's not terribly bad, generally the deeper the water and faster I'm going the worst the sliding is. My coworker said cars just do that, but I saw everyone around me yesterday speeding all around me and driving fine while I kept having to slow down.

I'm probably going to ask my uncle and take my car to get it looked at but in the meantime I was just curious as to whether this happens to anyone else, or if anybody works with cars who can tell me what might be wrong if anything.

BTW I wouldn't think it'd be the tires because I got new tires last fall and they look fine (although they need a little air right now). I got new struts a couple of months ago also. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 04:13 PM

9,287 posts, read 12,827,882 times
I would invest in a set of some new all season tires and that should solve your problem..and Remember driving slow in wet or slippery Conditions is the right thing to do... So don't worry with trying to keep up with traffic if it is unsafe to do so...

Old 05-08-2012, 04:13 PM

2,872 posts, read 2,856,516 times
Cars do that..... You said you have fairly new tires, what kind of tires are them? "Performance" tires will do worse in rain then all-season tires.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:16 PM

38,753 posts, read 38,334,632 times
You are experiencing hydroplaning, which can be combated with tread design. The tread on your tires is surfboarding over the standing water, instead of cutting down through it and giving traction on the pavement below. It's possible that your tires are well enough worn that your tread is no longer behaving the way it should on water.

No tread can do all things for all condition, and your tires might be designed to excel under certain condition, standing water not being one of them.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:34 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,910,563 times
Interesting. Generally speaking, FWD cars such as yours tend to do well in rain, especially with good suspension and tires.

I'm curious as to exactly what you mean when you say 'slide'. Do the tires spin during acceleration, lock during braking, etc? Does the car just feel light and not very connected to the road? Or is it only when you hit large puddles?

My experience with FWD cars in rain is that they feel very planted compared to a RWD, except for when it comes to larger puddles. When you hit a puddle, a car's tendency is to plow into it rather than glide through it like a taller vehicle would. The lower the car, the more this is true. That plowing sensation is usually accompanied by a jerk of the wheel (especially if the puddle is only on one side of the vehicle), or a light feeling in the wheel if the puddle is deep/long enough. In a FWD, because your front tires not only steer the car but power it as well, this feeling is exacerbated.

As far as solutions, I'd agree that perhaps you're in need of new tires. Yours may be new, but perhaps wet weather driving is not their forte. I'd use a site like Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels to research how your particular tire performs in wet weather. You may find others have similar complaints about it.

Also, is wet weather driving a relatively new experience to you? Perhaps it's just psychological, although it's certainly not a bad thing if you notice the effect poor weather has on your car's traction levels.

Mike

Old 05-08-2012, 05:36 PM

6,773 posts, read 3,871,151 times
Yeah that's basically what happens; my wheel locks and my car will start slightly veering in one direction and I have to slow down a bit. It is mostly in deep puddles, but I noticed yesterday driving on a slight hill that I was still kind of sliding. I was like WTF? Everyone else is driving fine lol. Somebody in one of the other lanes did get rear-ended though. I'll just drive slower in rain from now on.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:46 PM

2,872 posts, read 2,856,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I'll just drive slower in rain from now on.
That's a good idea

Old 05-08-2012, 06:14 PM

9,095 posts, read 12,409,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Hey all,

I just have a question about my car, an '03 Chevy Cavalier two-door car. We're having a bit of a rainy season here and I notice that on the highway my car slides a bit on wet roads. It's not terribly bad, generally the deeper the water and faster I'm going the worst the sliding is. My coworker said cars just do that, but I saw everyone around me yesterday speeding all around me and driving fine while I kept having to slow down.

I'm probably going to ask my uncle and take my car to get it looked at but in the meantime I was just curious as to whether this happens to anyone else, or if anybody works with cars who can tell me what might be wrong if anything.

BTW I wouldn't think it'd be the tires because I got new tires last fall and they look fine (although they need a little air right now). I got new struts a couple of months ago also. Thanks.
Simple answer is the tires on your car arent good in rain. I have fairly new performance tires on car, it sucks on light snow and not the best in rain. Im putting a good set of all seaons out in the car.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:38 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,462,739 times
Also, have you checked your tire pressures? The lower the pressures the lower the speed the will aquaplane at... Did you get a 4 wheel alignment after the struts/shocks??.. a bad alignment will can make a car handle wierd which will be more noticeable during conditions of less grip.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:14 AM

13,001 posts, read 14,300,617 times
Agree with others in that the OP is experiencing hydroplaning. Also, he should be aware that hydroplaning is a dangerous situation, but it can be remedied by slowing down to adjust to road conditions, or by using the right set of tires.

One can read about tires and which type to use for different road conditions at "tire rack.com," but in general all-season tires do a good job on wet roads, although some are better than others. Regardless of tires used, hydroplaning can occur when the tire can't shed enough water (like when driving too fast through puddles and such).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive