U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-09-2012, 08:49 PM

8,179 posts, read 6,444,171 times

Advertisements

I have black wheels on my S2000:

I think it looks pretty f'ing cool.

As someone else here said, I don't like the "murdered out" look on cars - i.e., black paint, maximum-tinted windows, smoked/tinted tails, signals, and sometimes headlights (illegal here in CA). You see that a lot here in Beverly Hills, usually rich kids who have ridiculous hair, stupid glasses, and generally lack any of the class that money's supposed to impart to them.

I have seen some totally blacked-out cars that looked great, don't get me wrong. I'm more talking about stuff like this:

I'm particularly sick of matte vinyl wraps, too. It's epidemic here in the LA area.

It can, however, be done well:
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 08:49 PM

8,956 posts, read 16,176,226 times
Maybe it's because I grew up in the 80's/90's and I remember lots of cars riding around with missing hubcaps, and how terrible it looked. Kids today grew up around cars with bolt on "wheel covers", so maybe that's why they don't see the connection.

FWIW, the first car I remember seeing black wheels on was a stock, all black 1988 Bonneville SSE. I didn't like them back then either.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:50 PM

2,117 posts, read 2,458,850 times
I like black wheels.
I think chrome wheels are too old fashioned.

On my next truck I'm going to do black wheels. Til then it's just me and my baby moons.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:52 PM

8,956 posts, read 16,176,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I have black wheels on my S2000:

I think it looks pretty f'ing cool.
No offense, but I can barely even see your wheels. The only thing that stands out are the silver center caps and the lug nuts.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
I like black wheels.
I think chrome wheels are too old fashioned.

On my next truck I'm going to do black wheels. Til then it's just me and my baby moons.
That's a big part of it to me, too... black wheels seem much more "utilitarian" to me, and they seem to look better on vehicles that have some sort of utilitarian bent to them: either in the case of a truck that will head off-road, and/or will be used to haul around building supplies, feed, pull heavy objects, etc; or, in the case of a car that sacrifices luxury for performance.

Kind of harkens back to the old Skylines and Capri's from days of yore:

Old 05-09-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
No offense, but I can barely even see your wheels. The only thing that stands out are the silver center caps and the lug nuts.
No offense taken. That's the point I just wanted simple, straightforward, lightweight five spokes... not anything with a crazy design or glistening chrome.

With the gunmetal exterior and black and red interior, I've already got three colors going on. Didn't need to add another one!

Old 05-09-2012, 09:16 PM

5,163 posts, read 6,653,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
The new trend going around is Plasti-dipping wheels. Its cheap, its easy, if you dont like it, it peals right off, and its easy to touch up. The last car I had black wheels on was my Integra, and they wernt really black, they were gun-metal
Mines have the plasti dip treatment

If I ever get tired of it, the original finish is underneath.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:47 PM

4,153 posts, read 5,878,345 times
Quote:
Anyone notice that young people today tend to like black wheels? Even the new V6 Camaro has black wheels from the factory. Personally, I think they're ugly, from a distance they look like spare tires. The worst is when people paint them with flat black spray paint.

Seems most people either love them or hate them. If I knew how to do a poll, I'd include one here.

The Camaro wheels that are black look like donuts and are ugly. This isn't, so keep hating and blaming everything you don't like on young people.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:48 PM

67 posts, read 11,923 times
Quote:
Anyone notice that young people today tend to like black wheels? Even the new V6 Camaro has black wheels from the factory. Personally, I think they're ugly, from a distance they look like spare tires. The worst is when people paint them with flat black spray paint.

Seems most people either love them or hate them. If I knew how to do a poll, I'd include one here.
I think they look awesome with a chrome or stainless cap in the center of an all blacked out wheel and rim. No white letters and no white walls.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:48 PM

2,187 posts, read 2,601,604 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive