U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 05:08 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,995,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkey View Post
MK3 turbo could be a cool car. Are they in that price range?
Ive only seen a couple and they are around 5000, but thats with a lot of miles on them. Ive been on the supra boards all day, and it seems they have head gasket problems. They all recommend replaced the studs with ARB getting the head milled and using a metal gasket. The mustang is starting to look mighty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 05:18 PM

132 posts, read 180,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Ive only seen a couple and they are around 5000, but thats with a lot of miles on them. Ive been on the supra boards all day, and it seems they have head gasket problems. They all recommend replaced the studs with ARB getting the head milled and using a metal gasket. The mustang is starting to look mighty good.
Cool deal. If you get to looking for a fox, i dunno how familiar you are with them but look for one that already has subframe connectors, and possibly the torque box reinforcements or welded seams on the torque box if you can find it. (Can tell if there is damage to them because the gap between the rear wheel and the rear fender will be different between the two sides) Common rust areas on the hatch and by the hinges in the door jambs. Im sure there is more im forgetting. Havent looked for a mustang in a while lol. Good luck

oh yeah, and after you gotta get it you gotta bring it out to the local Fri night meets at biff buzbys! lol

Old 05-17-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkey View Post
Common rust areas on the hatch and by the hinges in the door jambs. Im sure there is more im forgetting. Havent looked for a mustang in a while lol. Good luck
Thats one of the nice things about Texas, Rust is usually at a minimum, but thanks for tips. Ill keep that in mind

Old 05-18-2012, 08:44 AM

1,670 posts, read 2,700,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
I dont have the required mullet to drive one of those

Not a fan of any Vette past 69 or before 99
...yet you want a Firebird or even a Mustang

For your price range, I'd go with a Firebird, Corvette, or Fox Body Capri. A Stealth R/T TT might be kind of interesting too. Has anyone mentioned a RX7. You could probably find one of those with an American SB too.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:57 AM

I thought about RX-7's but they are terrible on reliability and I dont want to deal with some one's "project" Finding one with a v8 swap would be out of my price range. Talking with the wife last night, she wants something with airbags. So its looking more and more like SN-95 Mustang or Miata

Last edited by Me007gold; 05-18-2012 at 10:06 AM..

Old 05-18-2012, 10:47 AM

3,383 posts, read 3,500,488 times
Also mimicing, a trans am and camaro are identicle other then some outside body components. Also they were not unsafe, they are actually decently safe cars(for the time). It's just a lot of wrecks are at speeds that even if you were in an H1 hummed you would crush it like a tin can. It was a common joke how easy it is to get cheap parts for the rear of f-bodies but not the front.(most wrecks are people driving fast and crashing into sonething)

Id avoid eclipses or any otther DSM car. They were great but by now they have all been ragged out, and reliability/crankwalk issues were common a decade ago.

You will not get a last gen of the rx7 for your price range.

3000gts are nice but were a bit finnicky, expect to have valvetrain issues, and expensive, also they are heavy. Not sure how fun to drive.

Miatas would be a blast, needs a little more guts but can be done easily.

Lt1 vettes are nice. Not sure why you have an issue with 97 and 98 vettes, but C5s will likely be out of you range. Also they can get a little pricey to maintain. Not the worst but not the cheapest.

Foxbodies are great but getting pricey, with sn95 Mustangs, is that just 94-98 Mustangs or 99-04 as well.

If I was to do a mustang from that range I would get a 94 or I think 95. Either way the it was the 94/95 body with a 5.0 in it. Cheap simple and easy to modify.

96-98 mod motor stangs were dogs, 99-04 were pretty quick but mod motors are a bit pricey and complex to mod beyond the basic bolt ons.

If they are in the pricerange WRXs and 350zs are nice. I recently looked into high mileage wrxs wagon as a DD, I got feedback that they are not as reliable as the old subarus, will buckle and dime you as a high mileage DD but a great fun car.

I wouldn't rule out building up a civic hatch. I kind of wanted to for a fun DD.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-18-2012, 03:36 PM

1,670 posts, read 2,700,580 times
Really for the price and finding one not worn out, a LT Vette or Firebird, and maybe even a LS Firebird would be you're ebst bet. Although plenty of Firebirds are going to be worn out as well.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post

Foxbodies are great but getting pricey, with sn95 Mustangs, is that just 94-98 Mustangs or 99-04 as well.

If I was to do a mustang from that range I would get a 94 or I think 95. Either way the it was the 94/95 body with a 5.0 in it. Cheap simple and easy to modify.

96-98 mod motor stangs were dogs, 99-04 were pretty quick but mod motors are a bit pricey and complex to mod beyond the basic bolt ons.
IMO the 94-98 Mustangs look better then the 99+(when the pi heads came out) I think my plan is to try and find a 94/95 or if I cant find anything good, only then would I start looking for a 99+ The 5.0 would be easy and cheap to get to 300/350 hp which is what I would be happy with. I am not even considering the 96-98 unless some one swapped the pi heads on.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:32 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,389,036 times
I'd love an AP1 S2000 but I don't think you'd get them in decent condition for under 10k.

So it'd be an older Miata for me.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:24 PM

8,827 posts, read 23,275,578 times
The lack of brute power in the Miata can, in a perverse way, be appealing - long story short it's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than drive a fast car slow. Having done both.

A car like a late model Z-06 would be a blast on one level, but on another level it's frustrating to be able to use so little of the "envelope" -

A lower-powered car requires more from you, the driver, and that keeps you more engaged. Driving through the mountains at a sporting pace, you have to make good use of the power available in a Miata, MG-B, Scirocco, etc. While someone along for the same drive in a Z-06 can do everything wrong, then catch right back up on the next straight, just by applying the loud pedal, not bothering to be in the right gear for max power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive