Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 09:30 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
That check engine light caused my caravan to Fail inspection! Is this in WV or all states?
Having a CEL showing will cause a car to fail in all states that require an inspection for emissions and safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 12:48 AM

58 posts, read 340,556 times
Part of the problem here is oversimplification. Cars are extremely complicated, computer controlled pieces of machinery. Some of what I'm reading here is true but, and I hate to say it, the responses here sound like they come from less than well-trained technicians. You can buy an inexpensive scan tool, but if it was as simple as plugging it into your car, nobody in my business would make any money because people would either fix their own problems or let Autozone do it. Check engine lights are more often misdiagnosed BY PROFESSIONALS than they are accurately diagnosed. Read that sentence again. This is because many technicians don't understand that the computer will only give you a code, not point you directly to the problem. You must take that code, along with the knowledge of all components related to that code, and begin running tests to figure out exactly which component has failed. Because it is very difficult to find good professional technicians that are talented at diagnosing these concerns, the diagnostic fees are, of course, higher. So it is reasonable to say that you won't have much success fixing codes yourself and Autozone I recommend even less.
Also, it was true once upon a time that disconnecting the battery would reset the check engine light. But it would not fix the problem, and the light would be back on very soon. On modern autos, the engine control unit (ECU) has Keep Alive Memory (KAM) that preserves the code stored in the ECU in the case of battery failure or disconnect. It is no longer possible to disconnect battery to reset codes.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Just curious. If you keep getting the code and the dealer clears the code for free, why don't he just fix the problem by replacing the cap (which would be cheaper than putting a mechanic on it everytime you come in) and save you needless trips to the dealership? Seems like you may have the best car dealer in the country and I would love to purchase my vehicles from them.
Of course the dealer is clearing the code for free. They have misdiagnosed the problem. It is not a failed gas cap, or obviously the light would stay off. There are many, many different failures that can cause the code here. This dealer has fallen into the trap many in this profession succumb to, and that is tunnel vision. Everybody always goes straight to the gas cap. It's not the damn cap. In many cases it is the cap, but not this one. And from my days in dealerships, I have to report the sad fact that a MAJORITY of technicians working in dealers are not well enough trained to avoid these pitfalls. You see, as soon as a technician gets a little seniority and becomes one of the "Go To" guys, he asks for a more equitable share of that big labor rate he's helping bring in. But the dealer knows he can get a wet-behind-the-ears, not long removed from tech school technician with a snap of his fingers, and he won't have to pay that much. So he tells the experienced dude "Love it or leave it" and when this guy quits, he hires the other one. The result? You feel ripped off because they rarely fix the car correctly. They didn't start out attempting to rip you off, but when they make mistakes, they have to cover them up so they don't lose money. Many times this is when the call comes. "Mr. Hoodlydoo, I know we said 400 bucks, but the reciprocating dingle arm has some damage to it and now you're screwed for $750.". Translation: our first repair attempt was wrong, and now we think we've got it. We're training our technicians on your dime.
Now this is why it's important to find someone competent as well as trustworthy. With about 10% of cars that go to any repair shop or dealer, something happens while it is there that is legitimate. If you trust your guy, you can believe him when he says "I replaced your brakes like we agreed but during the test drive the radiator began leaking.". Ten percent is not fifty percent though, and this scenario should not legitimately happen very much.
This dealer is not "the best car dealer in the country" it is (unfortunately) average.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:24 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
They don't even look at the check engine light around here. Turn signals and brake lights, yes. Check engine light, no. Probably because cars can't go very far or very fast here.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:20 PM

Default Vicious cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
They don't even look at the check engine light around here. Turn signals and brake lights, yes. Check engine light, no. Probably because cars can't go very far or very fast here.
It's ironic that they don't bother with the light there because not driving far or fast INCREASES harmful emissions. A check engine light in HI will cause more pollution than a similar check engine light in L.A. because the hotter the engine runs, the less harmful emissions come out the tailpipe. Many short trips also has adverse effect on internal engine components, which in turn cuts efficiency and fuel economy and raises harmful emissions. What a vicious cycle.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:42 PM

946 posts, read 2,604,208 times
Left unsaid is the nature of flat-rate, where a tech can spend hours on diagnostic and be paid for only a fraction of that, while his buddies are doing timing belts, services and brakes, easy jobs that pay well. I've bought a few cars, and worked on many more, where the previous shop/tech told the customer the computer was bad or quoted replacing the entire system. Most of these parts are expensive and special order. Result--the customer either declines the work or orders the part. Either way, the car is out of the shop and now the tech (and the shop) can get down to making money on those afore-mentioned belts, brakes and tuneups.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Try not to give out inaccurate information. A check engine light does NOT only indicate a problem with a gas cap (but it can). The light can indicate numerous problems with a vehicle. Secondly you DO NOT have to go to the dealership to cancel the light. There are many manufacturers of OBDII scanners that sell for under a hundred dollars that will not only reset the light but will also give you the trouble code for the part thats causing the problem. ( I recommend that any backyard mechanic get a scanner because many dealerships now charge a minimum 2 hour diagnostic time for any vehicle that comes in with a problem which can cost you $200.00 before they even pick up a wrench, the scanner along with a vehicles repair manual along with the internet can save you hundreds of dollars in repair costs) By the way there is a difference between cancelling the light (usually by disconnecting the battery) and removing the code from memory (OBDII scanner). In New Jersey when you take your vehicle to inspection they hook up their computer to your OBDII port to check for codes. If you put out the light by disconnecting the battery they will still see the trouble code and fail you.
I agree'it can indicate many more problems, Basially from what i have seen it indicates a exhaust gas problem that can have many causes.Hondas for example will tell you if the gas cap was not tighten or left off. Tighten it and it will go way after a few miles driving.It still has a check engine light tho.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:58 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
You cna buy a reader on Ebay for most cars for less than $50. Mechanics charge more than that just to hook up a reader (takes about 30 seconds). Then you look up the codes from the Reader on the internet and you know what the problem is. Saves a lot of money.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
You cna buy a reader on Ebay for most cars for less than $50. Mechanics charge more than that just to hook up a reader (takes about 30 seconds). Then you look up the codes from the Reader on the internet and you know what the problem is. Saves a lot of money.
This advice to try to diagnose and repair things oneself is good except for one thing: it's no good. The reason these diagnostic scenarios are so expensive is because the codes don't just "tell you what's wrong". The codes tell you what system is having a problem and you must run tests on all components that could cause the code. It is often difficult and tricky for people with all the right training. For those of you that don't know much about cars, it's a disaster and a waste of money because you replace parts incorrectly and the light keeps coming back on.

The main reason it is so expensive is because the technicians that are talented enough to do it reliably get paid the big bucks. This type of work is called "driveability" and if you are a good driveabilty technician, you are at the top of the totem. Why would we pay these guys the most if our customers could just get a code and lickety split its nice and fixed?

Yes, you can get a code reader and yes, you can find the code definition. Sometimes your guess related to the code will be correct. But more often than not you will end up having a professional diagnose and repair the problem. There are many, many guys working in both dealers and independents that should not be working on cars. These are the guys that cause your repair bill to be jacked up, because they do a lot of guessing during diagnosis and after they have guessed wrong a couple times, they learn to just "pull the shotgun trigger" and simply replace ALL suspect parts. So if these guys, who know at least enough to get hired (for however short a time), cannot fix many problems on your car...

How do you expect to?

Would you drill your own teeth?
Represent yourself in a criminal trial?
Perform open-heart surgery on your grandmother?

People who know little about cars should
A. Not give advice to others.
B. Really attempt to learn, rather than guessing.
C. Find someone you can trust that does know, and tune all the other voices out. There is so much bad advice on this site I would strongly advise you check other sources. You should even check on what I say, because who am I?

Old 04-20-2009, 12:54 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,880,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Wing View Post
This advice to try to diagnose and repair things oneself is good except for one thing: it's no good. The reason these diagnostic scenarios are so expensive is because the codes don't just "tell you what's wrong". The codes tell you what system is having a problem and you must run tests on all components that could cause the code. It is often difficult and tricky for people with all the right training. For those of you that don't know much about cars, it's a disaster and a waste of money because you replace parts incorrectly and the light keeps coming back on.

The main reason it is so expensive is because the technicians that are talented enough to do it reliably get paid the big bucks. This type of work is called "driveability" and if you are a good driveabilty technician, you are at the top of the totem. Why would we pay these guys the most if our customers could just get a code and lickety split its nice and fixed?

Yes, you can get a code reader and yes, you can find the code definition. Sometimes your guess related to the code will be correct. But more often than not you will end up having a professional diagnose and repair the problem. There are many, many guys working in both dealers and independents that should not be working on cars. These are the guys that cause your repair bill to be jacked up, because they do a lot of guessing during diagnosis and after they have guessed wrong a couple times, they learn to just "pull the shotgun trigger" and simply replace ALL suspect parts. So if these guys, who know at least enough to get hired (for however short a time), cannot fix many problems on your car...

How do you expect to?

Would you drill your own teeth?
Represent yourself in a criminal trial?
Perform open-heart surgery on your grandmother?

People who know little about cars should
A. Not give advice to others.
B. Really attempt to learn, rather than guessing.
C. Find someone you can trust that does know, and tune all the other voices out. There is so much bad advice on this site I would strongly advise you check other sources. You should even check on what I say, because who am I?
Having been a technician for over forty years, and having read some of the stupid answers people post in here, I can only say, your answer hits the nail on the head...
I pretty much quit giving answers in here, because after you give the correct answer, some back yard jack-off comes along with something so stupid it's laughable. The readers can't tell the real answers from the kooks, and they listen to them.
I decided it's not worth my time to compete with people who have no idea what they are talking about, and succeed only in steering the reader in the wrong direction...
I see you're fairly new in here. You will soon see what I mean, and save your breath, or fingers, too....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive