Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated car brand
BMW 72 20.51%
Audi 11 3.13%
Volkswagen 18 5.13%
Mercedes-Benz 60 17.09%
Ford 4 1.14%
Cadillac 28 7.98%
Chevrolet 13 3.70%
Hyundai/Kia 14 3.99%
Toyota 52 14.81%
Honda 25 7.12%
Lexus 33 9.40%
Infiniti 6 1.71%
Acura 9 2.56%
Lincoln 6 1.71%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 10:11 AM

21,634 posts, read 24,761,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I think someone's been drinking too much Kool-aid! Mercedes makes decent vehicles but not even close to being the best ever made...not even remotely close!
No, I think he's (unintentionally right). Mercedes pretty much do need the best care ($$$) to keep running Other than the money proposition, they're nice cars... maybe the best mainstream car if you just want something comfortable and luxurious. Of course, everyone I know buying mainstream cars actually cares about the money proposition. Which is why you've got Lexus being the top-selling luxury car. It might not ride quite like a Mercedes and the interior might not be quite as nice, but it costs a lot less to keep on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 10:14 AM

25,730 posts, read 16,348,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
No, I think he's (unintentionally right). Mercedes pretty much do need the best care ($$$) to keep running Other than the money proposition, they're nice cars... maybe the best mainstream car if you just want something comfortable and luxurious. Of course, everyone I know buying mainstream cars actually cares about the money proposition. Which is why you've got Lexus being the top-selling luxury car. It might not ride quite like a Mercedes and the interior might not be quite as nice, but it costs a lot less to keep on the road.
yeah, but nothing says you are a phoney baloney like driving a Lexus.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I finally had to choose Lincoln in this thread. But even then, they are what they are. If somebody wants a prettied-up, slightly more-refined version of a Ford Fusion or Taurus, or in other words a basic American luxury car, so be it.

As for the folks voting for the average Asian brands like Toyota, Honda, etc. I agree because with the American cars catching up with them, why buy foreign? Seriously.

And as for people voting for the German brands, I don't agree with you and tend to think people just don't understand them. German cars are my favorite. Mercedes is my #1 favorite.

For some fun (and a serious question), can anybody name any other car companies, besides the big 3 Germans, that are still building all their own transmissions rather than sourcing them from other companies such as Aisin, etc.?
Lincoln to me is the most disappointing brand. How you can run what used to be THE premier car 50-60 years ago into rebadged Fords.... sad. Also, to name one the BMW 8 speed is a ZF transmission, Audi uses it widely as well. Not sure about Mercedes. They've used ZF transmissions in the past, however.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:20 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,369,807 times
BMW by far.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
yeah, but nothing says you are a phoney baloney like driving a Lexus.
Except driving a Mercedes =D.

They lost what little panache they had left when they put Civic-sized 4 pots in their cars to go along with the vinyl seats imo. The upper trim, E and S class are still nice (if expensive), but all those phoney baloneys in their Civic-sized powered C-classes with vinyl seats leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:23 AM

25,730 posts, read 16,348,964 times
Quote:
Except driving a Mercedes =D.

They lost what little panache they had left when they put Civic-sized 4 pots in their cars to go along with the vinyl seats imo. The upper trim, E and S class are still nice (if expensive), but all those phoney baloneys in their Civic-sized powered C-classes with vinyl seats leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
I drive neither-I would never pay more than 20K for a car to begin with but I like to admire nice cars and I think nothing compares to the MB or the BMWs. The styling and performance are second to none.

Why drive some copycat crapmobile like a Lexus? If you want a real car get a German one.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I drive neither-I would never pay more than 20K for a car to begin with but I think nothing compares to the MB or the BMWs. The styling and performance are second to none.

Why drive some copycat crapmobile like a Lexus? If you want a real car get a German one.
Early-mid 2000, I agree. BMW/Mercedes made some really nice cars. Mercedes I think is turning around the styling game. It's a totally different direction for the subdued elegance of yesteryear, but I kind of like it. BMW... well, not so much.

And I agree, why buy a real vehicle with leather interior for the same money you could get a Civic engine with vinyl seats? Badge means crap all to me. You can't put a Mercedes badge on a Civic and sell it to me for $40 grand. If you're just buying the badge used after its taken the depreciation hit, I suppose. I'd just buy a used Civic. Way cheaper and more reliable than an old C-Class. I've always wanted a 280... crap by modern standards, but hey. Rolling museum pieces just do it for me, what can I say.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:15 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,628,783 times
Quote:
Two completely different styles of vehicles that go after different demographics. A lot of elderly people around Phoenix/Scottsdale drive Lexus vehicles because they're comfortable, have soft suspensions, get decent gas mileage, and are relatively low maintenance. German vehicles are much more focused on the driving experience per say, not that I necessarily agree with it.

My retired parents owned an LS460 and it was a nice vehicle, there's no denying that. My dad has always preferred driving a Cadillac over any competitor so eventually they traded back into the GM family. The Lexus always felt cold to me, it never felt like it had any real presence or intriguing aspect about it. Sort of like a very nice, luxurious toaster appliance.

I posted a while back about getting to drive a buddy's pre-owned Bentley Continental GT. If you truly want luxurious, get into something of that caliber. Every surface you touch is real wood, real leather, or some sort of aluminum or nice metal. I can get into a C-Class or E-Class and point out various places where Mercedes cheaped out because every mainstream manufacturer whether it be Mercedes, Lexus, Chevrolet, Ford, etc produces vehicles to fit a price point and it's impossible to do everything "right" in a vehicle that has a set price range.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:07 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,924,624 times
Quote:
Lincoln to me is the most disappointing brand. How you can run what used to be THE premier car 50-60 years ago into rebadged Fords.... sad. Also, to name one the BMW 8 speed is a ZF transmission, Audi uses it widely as well. Not sure about Mercedes. They've used ZF transmissions in the past, however.
I didn't know that about the transmissions. Interesting. At least they're a German company, even though they have plants all over the world.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:35 AM

404 posts, read 900,437 times
lol at everyone saying bmw is overrated. They make the best cars on the market hands down...and I drive a subaru. I voted for mercedes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive