Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Shuld I fix the car or sell it? I still owe on it.
sell 3 60.00%
fix 1 20.00%
2nd opinion from another mechanic 1 20.00%
i know a guy and will list his # in my reply 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 7,056 times

Advertisements

Went to ICE COLD AIR in Clearwater and had a diagnostic due to the way my car was running. I was told I needed a new EGR so I got that done. Paid $272 for it. The very next day my car breaks down on US HWY 19. (On the way to see Rent . Missed the show!!!) Anyway, I had the car towed back to the shop and now I'm being told my timing belt broke and I'm going to need new engine valves I'm being quoted $2000. I need help what should I do? Should I take the car somewhere else? Does anyone know about this company? I've heard good review and I think the guy is being honest. I just cannot afford this when my engine MAY or MAY NOT need any work. I cannot afford to have the car towed all over the county. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 08:14 PM

30,393 posts, read 21,210,559 times
It's a Honda so sell it.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:58 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
I had a similar experience a few years ago where the timing belt let go and the result was all the valves crashed into the piston heads,doing the job was an expensive choice to make, scrap the car or pay the $2000 to get it fixed? fortunately damage was relegated to just the valves so i got another rebuilt head and just bolted it on (which wasnt as easy as it sounds), head cost $1100 and i did the work myself.
I'd say if the car is in otherwise excellent shape and has low mileage i'd at least pay the mechanic to pull the head and check what damage has occurred, if its just bent valves you can minimize costs by getting another head from a scrapyard or get a rebuilt unit and just bolt it on, if any of the valves have breached a piston its going to cost you a major motor overhaul that could run you $5000. tough call as your car is in the $5000 to $8000 price range depending on condition., usually i dont like to put repairs into a car that is worth less than the repair is worth,however my wise old Dad would say whats it going to cost to repair? after i reply he'll then ask me Whats a new car cost? Dad your logic is annoying

Last edited by jambo101; 05-04-2011 at 02:11 AM..

Old 05-04-2011, 04:52 AM

794 posts, read 1,859,790 times
What does this have to do with Tampa - St. Pete?

Old 05-04-2011, 05:31 AM

494 posts, read 1,675,222 times
The car brokedown in the Tampa Bay area?

Older Honda's do that and also suffer from A/C black death!

Old 05-04-2011, 05:54 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,307,566 times
I assume this happened in Tampa?

If your timing belt did in fact break, you could have done some damage to the engine. The timing belt keeps the engine crankshaft (which controls piston movement) in sync with the camshaft (which controls the valves allowing air in and exhuasting air at the precise time).

When you break your timing belt, The crankshaft and piston rod assembly still function normally, but your camshaft is no longer opening and closing valves. Which could cause the piston to collide with the valves damaging the pistons, valves, and possibly the head, depending on the vehicle

What year/make/model is your vehicle? An engine with a free-wheeling design could go relatively unharmed in the event of a timing belt breaking. Exaclty what did you hear when the car died?

It is a vital part of your engine and you need to make sure it is replaced when reccomended (depending on vehicle).

To those of you wondering, the answer is Yes... I know everything.

Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Keeper; 05-05-2011 at 06:44 AM..

Old 05-04-2011, 08:49 AM

494 posts, read 1,675,222 times
If that belt goes with engine running above an idle you likely have bent valves. There are reports of exceptions so some people get lucky. Did you exceed the mfg guideline for belt replacement?

Old 05-04-2011, 08:58 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,098 times
You learned a very important lesson on owning a car. Do the required maintenance. Timing Belts should be changed every 60K - 100K miles, depending on most manufacturers.

You still owe on the car. Can you sell it for how much you owe and use the $2K plus any profit you made on the car to buy one in as good as shape as if you spent $2K into your current ride?

Also, do yourself a favor. Get quotes from other places as well. Call them, tell them what Ice Cold A/C told you was wrong with it and see if you can get a better deal. If you find a better deal ask the shop if they can tow it there for free as well.

Anyone know of a place around Largo or Seminole that repairs Clutches for a good price?

Old 05-04-2011, 10:38 AM

749 posts, read 2,437,721 times
Here's what happend to me once. My belt broke on a 99 Ford ZX2 and a kid was running the his Dad's auto repair shop. he told me I had an interference engine and valves were damaged, it'll cost more to fix than the cars worth. I said okay, I'll leave it here and you guys can have it or sell it for scrap. I never gave him the title. 2 months go by and the Dad starts running the shop again and says I'll fix it for $500, I said go ahead. Turns out I think the kid bull-chitted me because he wanted the car.

First thing you have to determine is if you have a interference or non-interference engine then go from there. maybe go to a Honda forumn on the web and start asking if your year, make and model is an interference engine. If it isn't take it to another shop and have them put a belt on, or do it yourself, get a Haynes manual and it'll be a pain in the neck as you'll probably have to pull AC, water pump, sepentine belt etc, to get to it. It's really not that hard , just takes patience. Otherwise if you really like the car you may be able to get a low milage good junkyard motor for around $400 or $500 and put it in yourself or have someone do it. $2000 is ridiculous. I can't remeber the name of the place that fixed mine but he was off of 49th St. up around the area of 62nd. Ave in Pinellas Park, just West of 49th.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:54 AM

749 posts, read 2,437,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
You learned a very important lesson on owning a car. Do the required maintenance. Timing Belts should be changed every 60K - 100K miles, depending on most manufacturers.

You still owe on the car. Can you sell it for how much you owe and use the $2K plus any profit you made on the car to buy one in as good as shape as if you spent $2K into your current ride?

Also, do yourself a favor. Get quotes from other places as well. Call them, tell them what Ice Cold A/C told you was wrong with it and see if you can get a better deal. If you find a better deal ask the shop if they can tow it there for free as well.

Anyone know of a place around Largo or Seminole that repairs Clutches for a good price?
There's a shop (sorry can't remember the name of it) on the NE Corner of Ulmerton and Starkey just across from the beer distributor that did my rear-wheel drive Ranger for $600 (kinda high) since the next time I did it myself and clutch and flywheel were around $170 at the parts store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura