U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 03:23 PM

609 posts, read 1,824,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawkfist View Post
Welcome to this part of city data

All Subaru's are AWD, hence they get worse gas mileage than Hondas, but it's not that different.

Just a minor correction. Subaru just launched the BRZ which is a rear wheel drive so technically NOT ALL SUBARU's are AWD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 03:53 PM

7,780 posts, read 17,779,267 times
I don't think you can do bad with either.. Both are great car companies. Make fine products

Old 06-07-2012, 04:08 PM

12,116 posts, read 8,098,073 times
Subaru

Nuff said again.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:20 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,520,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerclaws View Post
Wrong, Subarus are symmetrical AWD meaning they are full-time AWD. The auto tranny is more front biased (if that is what you meant to say) but the power goes to all 4 wheels all the time.
Under normal driving conditions, the ratio is 90%-10% with the 90% going to the front wheels.
As the vehicle detects slip, the ratio can be increased to as much as 50%-50%.
There is a solenoid in the rear of the trans that operates this. This is how they used to operate. Not up to date enough to know if they still operate this way.
Not sure about the newer ones, but the older cars had a place you could install a fuse under the hood that would "turn off" the awd feature. You did this if you had a flat so you wouldn't do damage to the trans with the different size wheel.

I've owned both brands. The Honda was an excellent car with a 5-speed. Nothing ever went wrong unless it was a wear item, or I abused it.
When I purchased my Subaru, it already had a ton of miles, had been wrecked at some point in time, and obviously neglected. I replaced some typical stuff like axles, battery and timing belt, with minimal problems otherwise. It's never failed to start, and has never left me stranded. I have a hunch the Subaru would have been close to the Honda in reliability if maintenance had been equal.
I work in a repair shop, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either brand based on reliability. Personally, I wouldn't buy a V-6 Honda, but there are much worse cars out there.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:47 PM

609 posts, read 1,824,435 times
I agree with the power distribution 90 -10 front to back but when you are in the first couple of gears the ratio can be reverse with 90% going to the rear. Now remember this is the case for auto transmission. Manual is a different animal. I used to own a Subaru and now have a honda.

Honda is just like a mule, goes on and on. Subaru's require more maintenance just because of the AWD (rear diff/center diff fluid, ATF is more frequent etc etc.) not to mention if you have the turbo you have to worry about that as well.

Subaru is definitely a better driving experience IMHO. Both are extremely reliable.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:12 PM

3,255 posts, read 4,907,480 times
J just traded my 1 year old Hyundai Elantra for a Forester. I loved the Hyundais interior and electronics, especially the Bluetooth phone system. The Subaru is still behind the curve in electonic features.

However, the ride and engine is better with the Subaru. One mild winter with the Elantra and it was horrible in the 2 snow storms we had. I've had 4 subarus and they're like a tank in the snow.

I also hated the electronic steering in the Hyundai. Never felt like I was connected with the road when I entered a sharp turn. The Forester is tight and fun to drive.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:21 PM

7,289 posts, read 12,865,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
As the vehicle detects slip, the ratio can be increased to as much as 50%-50%.
There is a solenoid in the rear of the trans that operates this. This is how they used to operate. Not up to date enough to know if they still operate this way.
Not sure about the newer ones, but the older cars had a place you could install a fuse under the hood that would "turn off" the awd feature. You did this if you had a flat so you wouldn't do damage to the trans with the different size wheel.
My '12 has the fuse thing to deactivate AWD. It's in case of a flat with an undersized spare, which has to be placed on the rear of the car after the AWD is deactivated. Equipped with a full sized spare tire, you don't have to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Under normal driving conditions, the ratio is 90%-10% with the 90% going to the front wheels.
Subaru is saying the newer systems have a 60/40 torque split front/rear to start with, or up to 50/50. Torque is now varied based on throttle and other sensor input, as well as slipping, so it's more heavily biased to the rear when starting off under higher throttle load, than it is when just cruising along at 40mph (for example). It's a pretty nice system. They do use a solenoid to accomplish this (using hydraulic pressure). I'm definitely no expert on the system, but have read miles and miles of threads that go over the function and the advantages of this system vs. the one used in the manual transmission Subarus.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:49 PM

2,784 posts, read 2,567,430 times
I've put about 30K miles on an 04' Forester XT (2.5l STI engine with TD04 {WRX} turbo & inter cooler). 5 spd manual tranny with 50/50 power split F/R in all gears.

It is one heck of a jack rabbit round town with the stock (4.44) final drive ratio. Almost as quick in a straight line (under 60mph) as the STI of the same year and faster than the 2.0 T WRX of the same year.

Very solid engine/turbo and power train, but a few minor problems (stereo quit, radiator cracked). All up very impressive for the money and a somewhat practical wagon that is very capable in < 8" of snow.

Nice power on oversteer in the snow or gravel and will power off oversteer if you drive it right but it still tends to push unless you're snappy with the throttle. Weight is OK at 3300lb and no silly traction/stability control. ABS is far too intrusive IMO, but it does help keep the studs in on dry pavement.

A FWD honda .... pass, even though the reliability is probably better. I don't know what the AWD hondas are like, but I assume that they are FWD until the front looses traction? IIRC AWD honda's are heavier... and they don't use a turbo. I live at 10,000ft, I *need* a turbo .

Which is better is gonna depends on what is important to you. Both great cars for different reasons.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:43 PM

16,168 posts, read 27,421,913 times
If you don't need AWD, then go with the FWD one since there is only one transaxle to worry about (less repairs).

Old 06-07-2012, 09:30 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,889,675 times
Honda is more popular because of it's great history and reliability. I can't remember if it was a year ago, or how long ago that I noted Consumer reports about autos, and honda was clearly better rated than Subaru.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or