U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 11:28 AM

9,817 posts, read 19,033,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I dont doubt they're common the in the Rockies where drivers deal with snow, but like I said, in the Southeast they're rare. My sister's is the only turbo Legacy I've seen in my entire town, while Accords are a dime a dozen.
Subaru has added a lot more dealers down south, so it's changing.

Up where I live there is the Ford dealer, Chevy dealer and Subaru dealer. Subaru's are dime a dozen. Same out when I lived in Colorado. So yes they do tend to have strong sales in various areas, but that is changing fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 12:16 PM

16,177 posts, read 27,465,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Honda is more popular because of it's great history and reliability. I can't remember if it was a year ago, or how long ago that I noted Consumer reports about autos, and honda was clearly better rated than Subaru.
When it comes to drivetrain reliability, the FWD (or RWD) one has to potential for being more reliable because only one transaxle is used. AWD, and 4X4 have a greater potential for breakdowns. These also are heavier, and the motors consume more fuel.

In a place when I can get by with a FWD or RWD, that's what I would buy. But That's me

That said, I have 2 vehicles that are on demand 4WD (1994 Sidekick, and 1988 GMC Sierra MT 5-gear stick-shift) , and a 1987 Civic Si FWD that is reaching 261,000 miles. Also, traded a 2009 Subaru forester for a 2010 Toyota Rav 4 4WD V6 for my wife.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:06 PM

2,659 posts, read 2,825,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Honda is more popular because of it's great history and reliability. I can't remember if it was a year ago, or how long ago that I noted Consumer reports about autos, and honda was clearly better rated than Subaru.
Most recent CR auto issue rates Subaru as #1 overall manufacturer (based on whatever algorithm they applied across the entire product line). I can't find it now, so you will have to see where Honda rated if you care . Check it out.

We are pleased with a 2010 Legacy 4cyl auto CVT trans with the deluxe trim, radio, winter package etc. It is a nice car. Gets a 30+ mpg highway, handles and rides well for its class, and is surprisingly good around town ...sort of mixed suburban driving... if driven normally (maybe 23-25 mpg on regular). It is not the zippiest or most sophisticated car, but few are. It is competent, capable, and comfortable.

I haven't been in a Honda in many years, though I owned 3 (and another Sube) before Honda become very mainstream. This experience was so long ago as to be irrelevant about today's cars.

If you consider an SUV look at both the Outback and the Forester, though they both get lower gas mileage.... Sube has a pretty broad product line.

If you go in snow or want to be just a little different (not THAT different as they are selling very well, especially in snow country), get a Sube. If you want to run with the (sorta uh, boring but capable) pack, get the Honda. It is a toss up and depends on what YOU like and find for sale.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:36 PM

310 posts, read 792,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Most recent CR auto issue rates Subaru as #1 overall manufacturer (based on whatever algorithm they applied across the entire product line). I can't find it now, so you will have to see where Honda rated if you care . Check it out.

We are pleased with a 2010 Legacy 4cyl auto CVT trans with the deluxe trim, radio, winter package etc. It is a nice car. Gets a 30+ mpg highway, handles and rides well for its class, and is surprisingly good around town ...sort of mixed suburban driving... if driven normally (maybe 23-25 mpg on regular). It is not the zippiest or most sophisticated car, but few are. It is competent, capable, and comfortable.

I haven't been in a Honda in many years, though I owned 3 (and another Sube) before Honda become very mainstream. This experience was so long ago as to be irrelevant about today's cars.

If you consider an SUV look at both the Outback and the Forester, though they both get lower gas mileage.... Sube has a pretty broad product line.

If you go in snow or want to be just a little different (not THAT different as they are selling very well, especially in snow country), get a Sube. If you want to run with the (sorta uh, boring but capable) pack, get the Honda. It is a toss up and depends on what YOU like and find for sale.
Unfortunately, the Outback has become an abominable crossover; a far cry from the unique wagon it once was

Old 06-08-2012, 01:43 PM

9,009 posts, read 14,219,852 times
I used to own a 2007 WRX, and my wife currently owns a 2008 Accord.

My opinion is that mechanically, both are good cars. From a build quality and materials quality standpoint, both are overrated.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:49 PM

20,176 posts, read 34,521,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
they certainly arent rare in the Southeast, just not as plentiful as in places that get tons of snow.
I would think Subaru's would be great for WNC when driving on all of the steep mountain roads that are very narrow along with all of the rain/snow/bad weather conditions. I'm sure that the dealer and supplier base in the Southeast will expand further, particularly the High Country areas.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawkfist View Post
Unfortunately, the Outback has become an abominable crossover; a far cry from the unique wagon it once was
Agreed. The new ones are just so oversized that they aren't appealing. I actually like the older ones 01-04? that were two tone with the body cladding. I'm sure I'm in the minority on that though.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I used to own a 2007 WRX, and my wife currently owns a 2008 Accord.

My opinion is that mechanically, both are good cars. From a build quality and materials quality standpoint, both are overrated.
I think the newly released Impreza has improved materials overall and I'm going to take a test drive to find out. Much better MPG highway (up to 36).

Old 06-09-2012, 04:20 AM

3,675 posts, read 7,601,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I think the newly released Impreza has improved materials overall and I'm going to take a test drive to find out. Much better MPG highway (up to 36).
Good luck finding one!! I spent a month trying to find one at any of the dealers in my metro area, none of them had one. They said they're selling them to orders.....I moved on!

Old 06-09-2012, 01:13 PM

366 posts, read 1,147,521 times
Subaru Named Top Carmaker by Consumer Reports as Honda Falls - BusinessWeek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or