U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2012, 10:51 AM

626 posts, read 1,396,100 times

Advertisements

First time on this part of City-Data.. I'm interested in knowing the pro's and con's of Honda Civic's or Accord's verses Subaru's. I'm in the market for around a 2009-2011 vehicle with preferably below 100K miles. I currently own a 2003 Honda Civic with 280K miles. I think it's seen it's day but still runs well despite a recent major repair of a new radiator and AC system. As for Subaru's.. I wouldn't mind a smaller SUV but am open to a smaller more fuel efficient car. One thing I like is I hear most Subaru's are all wheel drive. Is this true? Input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 10:57 AM

2,490 posts, read 4,788,118 times
I've had both and unless you need AWD, Honda is much better than Subaru. The reliability of Subaru is not anywhere near as good as Honda. With AWD, you get lower gas mileage, higher insurance, higher maintenance costs and odd things such as needing to replace all 4 tires at once...

Old 06-07-2012, 11:02 AM

310 posts, read 791,422 times
Welcome to this part of city data

All Subaru's are AWD, hence they get worse gas mileage than Hondas, but it's not that different.

From what I've read, Subaru's last just as long as Toyota and Honda, but they might require a bit more maintenance. Nothing to worry about though, consumer reports just ranked them up there as equal with Honda and Toyota for reliability.

I've also found that parts can be a bit more expensive on Subarus because they aren't as common. Depending on a lot of other factors, this might or might not cause insurance to be a bit more as well.

The other negative about Subaru is that their interiors are a little bland, but if you're like me, I don't really care about that.

But overall, they get better rankings for safety.
Personally, I would rather drive a Subaru than a Honda because Subaru's are more unique and you hardly see them (at least where I live).

Check out the forester if you want a small CUV.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:59 AM

4,464 posts, read 9,630,498 times
To me, there's more to a car than just reliability.

Hondas might very well be more reliable than Subarus (though outside of a couple of very well known "issues", Subarus are pretty darn reliable too.), and yes, parts for Subarus are in some cases expensive, but they're very good cars and more importantly, in my opinion, a much better ride. And I can live with $1-2k more in repairs over a cars lifetime for a lifetime of better feel, ride and comfort.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:57 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,076,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
I've had both and unless you need AWD, Honda is much better than Subaru. The reliability of Subaru is not anywhere near as good as Honda. With AWD, you get lower gas mileage, higher insurance, higher maintenance costs and odd things such as needing to replace all 4 tires at once...
Not anywhere near Honda in reliability? Not true. I think they are rather on par with each other. On both sides, you'll have the small percentage that have had problems, but the majority on both sides would praise reliability. I for one, have driven a WRX(turbo obviously, generally not quite as reliable as Subarus NA motors) for the last 4.5 years, going from 58k when I bought it to just a tick under 132k and Ive only spent 30 bucks on repairs. You'll find tons of Suby owners who have the same experience as me, just as Honda has plenty of examples as well. I really believe that brands such as Subaru, Honda, and Toyota are generally pretty even when it comes to reliability.

As far as gas mileage, Subarus still get good gas mileage. I can get 30mpg on the highway in my modded WRX. Also, as far as insurance is concerned, for an adult, Subarus, even turbo models, arent really that bad to insure.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:22 PM

7,289 posts, read 12,865,601 times
You may find additional maintenance expense along the way with AWD vs 2WD cars, because there is simply more to maintain. I'm not sure if Subarus are any less reliable than Toyota or Honda.

AWD comes with the benefit of a better driving experience, and at the cost of a bit of fuel economy. Also the AWD system Subaru uses is light years ahead of other AWD cars and SUVs. The Forester is an excellent choice, and it feels as if you are driving something very substantial, even though the outside size is not that big, and it's not that heavy either. They are very nice to drive.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:28 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,260,280 times
Just keep in mind that the subarus with auto trannies will run awd IF one wheel slips or loses traction, then the awd system turns on.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:47 PM

10,868 posts, read 41,128,193 times
In my experience ... the three lines are comparable for overall reliability and durability, and overall costs to keep on the road for an extended time and mileage.

The primary factor to consider is if you need or use the AWD function of the Subie's.

If you need AWD due to climate and driving conditions, then the Subie is the better choice for a small SUV or station wagon. All Subie's since 1995 are AWD.

But if FWD is adequate for your transportation needs, then the premium that you'll pay in gasoline and tires for an AWD car aren't justified.

I put a lot of miles on Subie's, and I find the seating and interiors are fine for me. None of these three car lines are exceptional for interior finishes, but all are satisfactory for my transportation needs. Luxury cars they are not, even when upline models with more trim and leather upholstery are considered.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:10 PM

8,992 posts, read 14,187,334 times
Both are very good cars. I would not make my choice between them based on reliability.

That said, I also would not let awd be the deciding factor, unless I was insisting on having it. A Subaru is a good car for a non snow belt climate too, even if the awd is not as helpful in typical driving.

Drive both, pick your favorite. You will enjoy it a long time!

Old 06-07-2012, 03:21 PM

609 posts, read 1,824,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
Just keep in mind that the subarus with auto trannies will run awd IF one wheel slips or loses traction, then the awd system turns on.
Wrong, Subarus are symmetrical AWD meaning they are full-time AWD. The auto tranny is more front biased (if that is what you meant to say) but the power goes to all 4 wheels all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or