Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 04:44 PM

21,833 posts, read 25,102,289 times

Advertisements

AWD is mostly about not getting stuck. It doesn't change physics. Your car won't magically stop better (stopping has nothing to do with what wheels are driven) with AWD/4WD, and it won't really handle all that much better either. It's only a safety concern because people don't know how to drive and do stupid stuff like mash the gas pedal in a corner and then freak out and smash the brakes. AWD helps there because you can smash more gas pedal before you spin out. Slow down and don't make any abrupt applications to the brake or gas. Know how to counter-steer. Get appropriate tires. If getting stuck is still a problem, throw a few hundred pounds of sandbags in the trunk to put some more weight on the rear... just realize you're also making the ass end of the car heavy and if you then proceed to spin out, the heavy end always wants to be the one that points forward.

Last edited by Malloric; 06-09-2012 at 04:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 04:49 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
Bmd, where do you live? Lots of people daily drive rwd cars in the snow belt. I think its totally doable even with all season tires if you just take your time. If you live in the mountains or hills, it can be more of an issue. I drove a rwd TrailBlazer SS in the mountains, and even with 300lb of sand in the rear and Blizzaks on all four corners, it could be a handful going up an incline.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:36 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
It really depends on the car, and the balance. As a lot of folks stated, 50/50 weight distribution can make a heck of a difference in a RWD car. The other very important thing would be adequate tires, and on a RWD you'll really benefit from snow tires. BMW's and as stated, the G8 sedan are both good cars for all weather driving, permitted you know how to drive, actually concentrate on driving, and have a decent set of snow tires.

Personally, I think anything that comes out of Germany tends to do pretty well in the snow...often better than their Japanese competition. But i'm very biased.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:09 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
I spent plenty of time driving RWD cars and two wheeled drive pickups. Never had any problem in snow. A bit of prudence in where you go and how you drive makes a world of difference.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:08 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Just for the record, "snow" tires are not what the OP wants, as they represent OLD technology. Instead, the OP should get a set of the newer technology, far superior WINTER tires.
Just for the record, most of us use the terms interchangeably. When I say snow tires I mean things like Blizzaks or the like.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:36 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Just for the record, most of us use the terms interchangeably. When I say snow tires I mean things like Blizzaks or the like.

But, if the OP is not familiar with the terminology, failure to explain exactly what you mean could just wind up confusing him. Yes, you know what you meant, but how do you know that the OP knows what you meant?

For all we know, he might have assumed that just putting two of those old heavily-lugged tires on the drive wheels would be sufficient, instead of using new-technology winter tires on all 4 wheels of the car.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:32 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Bmd, where do you live? Lots of people daily drive rwd cars in the snow belt. I think its totally doable even with all season tires if you just take your time. If you live in the mountains or hills, it can be more of an issue. I drove a rwd TrailBlazer SS in the mountains, and even with 300lb of sand in the rear and Blizzaks on all four corners, it could be a handful going up an incline.
I know how to drive in the white stuff, grew up in Buffalo!

I 'm looking at another car 3.8 L genesis. My brother said its horrible in the snow. I think his genesis came with Dunlops.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:34 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,901 times
Relocating to the PA/NJ area. I know they don't get alot of snow. either does Buffalo anymore.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:47 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
Relocating to the PA/NJ area. I know they don't get alot of snow. either does Buffalo anymore.
Where did you get that bit of misinformation about PA & NJ?

While last winter was essentially a non-event, the prior winter had enough snow to make both my winter tires and my snowblower worthwhile investments, and two years ago, we were clobbered with a few really big snowstorms.

One mild winter is not necessarily an indication of climate change.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:53 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
With all due respect but there is simply no comparison to a RWD vehicle and an AWD or 4WD with winter tires in snow/ice. It's like comparing tennis shoes to ice cleats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive