Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 02:25 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,605,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I have a 1995 Z28 (T-Top, not convertable). I have not had much significant trouble with it (biggest issue was replacing the fuel pump was a PIA), except it seems to have a problem with the clutch right now. the LS-1had some common problem that I cannot recall right now. The later Camaros (i.e. post 1996) also have those awful slanty toyota looking headlights.

I have been offered $6500 for the Camaro, so I assume an otherwise equal convertable would be around $10K.

$2K - $5K must be for the RS. I would not bother with one of those. I should have said I was referring to a Z-28.
Not trying to be a jerk. I daily drive a 2000 v6 Camaro, it is not even optioned enough to be an RS. I bought it for $2,000 and I consider my market higher then normal.

I also do not know what you are talking about 1996 having slanty toyota lights.

The 4th gen f-body started in 93, in 1998, they did a outer body revise, to the "catfish" look. The 97 has the same interior as the 98-02 f-bodies.

Either way the lt1 wasn't all bad, I will rephrase the optispark is more of a finnicky issue. It can be a decently reliable vehicle, but if you get the wrong one, you are hurting. As an example, granted in rough condition, when I lived in FL 6 years ago, a co-worker of mine picked up a convertable lt1 for $2500. Also back then the US dollar was worth.

Search craigslist if you don't believe me. Also people seem to "offer" money to people, but when they go to sell it, they don't get it. Example my fun car, guy was "offered" $7k while negotiating. I got the car for $3500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I picked up an Audi TT roadster at a steal not too far back. It needed some minor work and the timing belt had to be done, but I bought it for well under $10k. You can find older well maintained examples pretty easily in the $10k range.

I forgot about that, an Audi TT with a 1.8T(that doesn't have a sludging issue, google it) would not be a bad choice either if you are into the German sporty convertible coupe car.

I never drove one, but I had a friend, that was a true car guy, knew his ****, and had good taste in cars, imo. Not hung up on import/domestic crap. Either way, for a few months in his low 20s, he was pretty much a "boytoy" for an older successful chick, and she had at the time a new one. He used to drive it all the time and he used to say he loved it overall. Nicely balanced car, little low on power but still fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 02:27 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
So, my wife and I may look into buying a 3rd car that will be used for the most part as a daily driver only in the summer. So, convertibles are ok and rwd is fine too. Not sure if we need a back seat or not. But, I am thinking that we do need one because the kids will want to ride in a convertible. So, what would you get?

3 Series convertible, Mini or Wrangler are three that come to mind. Is a 10 year old BMW convertible with 100,000 a good idea for a daily driver? Is an older Wrangler still a decent car? I have no idea about older Minis?
How big are your kids?

My parents happen to have a 3-series convertible of that vintage.... rear-seat quarters are tight to say the least. It typically is for any convertible but it's especially true for this particular car.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:27 PM

11,153 posts, read 29,139,769 times
A late model mazda Maita for a pure sports car that you can daily drive and track once and a while..

as for modren/Late model American muscle a LT1/LS1 4th gen Camaro Z28/Trans Am or a 87-93 fox body Mustang 5.0 LX or GT/94-96 SN-95 5.0 mustang GT or a 99-04 Mustang 4.6 SOHC Liter GT are you best bet and bang for the buck sports car under 10k IMO

Might find a decent 91-96 LT1 C4 Corvette with a targa top out there also which would be a decent buy also IMO

maybe a 1990-1996 Nissian 300ZX Twin Turbo in your price range would be a good fit under $10K

Old 06-16-2012, 01:41 PM

5,654 posts, read 5,132,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
"Some of the best roadsters were made y the brits in the 1960s - 1970s. Maybe you can get one that has been resotred/upgraded. Look at the Bug eyed Sprite, MGB and MGA, TR6 (or even a TR3), Austin Healey (Jensen Healy as mentioned), there are anothr four or five. Also the VW Carmen Ghia."

Although I can agree with that statement to a point, it really depends on what you're looking for in a 3rd car as to whether this works for you. they were great cars, but notoriously unreliable. I would not buy one unless you really like the idea of owning a classic british roadster and want to work on it.
I'd agree, i've owned a fair few and unless your a fair DIY mechanic i'd ignore them. Once you get them sorted they're great but one mans idea of "restored" is not always the same as your idea of reliable.

Others have said about a Mazda Miata (MX-3 over here) and i'd agree, great little cars. Also have a look at a Honda S2000, they're good cars aswell. Both strictly 2-seaters though. I can't comment on US only models as i've never driven them..

Old 06-16-2012, 02:53 PM

13,520 posts, read 21,994,134 times

Top Gear - Mazda RX8 - BBC- YouTube

Old 06-16-2012, 05:28 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,337,858 times
Back when I was in this same boat (just looking for something fun, had $6k to spend but no kids), I stumbled upon the Porsche 944 cars. I bought an '86 turbo for my $6k and it needed nothing up front. Over the 3 years I owned it, I put ~30k miles on the car and it needed ball joints and wheel bearings, but that was it. I loved taking roadtrips in that car with my GF, it was Super at cruising the interstate.

With kids, that tiny back seat would be an issue. Depends on how big the kids are. They made a convertible in 90/91 of the non-turbo if you really want to drop-top feeling. The biggest issue is buying a good car up front, which means finding a top-notch Porsche mechanic with experience in the 944 line of cars and having them check it out before purchase.

My wife (GF from above) and I are looking for a fun car again, though we're pretty set on buying an original mini. MUCH more work finding a good one though, especially when you add in all the stolen cars (called "RE-Vins", basically a '90's mini with a 60/70/80's VIN/registration).

Old 06-16-2012, 07:40 PM

4,246 posts, read 11,975,636 times
I'd get either a LS1 Camaro SS, 300ZX TT, 280ZX.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:40 AM

774 posts, read 2,588,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
So, my wife and I may look into buying a 3rd car that will be used for the most part as a daily driver only in the summer. So, convertibles are ok and rwd is fine too. Not sure if we need a back seat or not. But, I am thinking that we do need one because the kids will want to ride in a convertible. So, what would you get?

3 Series convertible, Mini or Wrangler are three that come to mind. Is a 10 year old BMW convertible with 100,000 a good idea for a daily driver? Is an older Wrangler still a decent car? I have no idea about older Minis?

For what you are looking for I would recommend a Mustang convertible. Just last week I was looking at a nice red 1992 5.0 LX convertible with 40K original miles. The owner wanted $7500 and the car was perfect. A day later I stopped and looked at a 99 GT Convertible. Triple black with 65K with complete service records from the local Ford dealer. That car was $8500.

The older Wranglers are horrible to drive onroad. The newer 4 doors are better but still require you to accept that they are designed to perform offroad and dont work well on pavement. Unless you have an endless bank account I would advise against buying a used BMW. They are expensive to own and maintain. Add in the fact that they are notoriously unreliable and you are setting yourself up for a bad experience. I can't comment on the Mini as I have avoided them like Miata's

Old 06-17-2012, 09:10 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,121,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I would not touch a rotary, unless I knew I could work on it my self. Its going to get crappy mileage, and it will break down; expecially if it wasnt maintained before you got it. If you cant do the work your self, and there is no good mechanic in your area; your screwed.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:15 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,605,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
I would not touch a rotary, unless I knew I could work on it my self. Its going to get crappy mileage, and it will break down; expecially if it wasnt maintained before you got it. If you cant do the work your self, and there is no good mechanic in your area; your screwed.
Also rx8 specifically had a lot of reliability issues actually had full recall and engine replacement on certain years, along with HP numbers being significantly lower then claims.

It's almost like they forgot how to build rotaries and started over and failed.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive