U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 11:49 AM

601 posts, read 1,572,509 times

Advertisements

For centuries Americans loved their vehicles and took pride in owning American cars and trucks. Those vehicles made history worldwide and are well known.

But what about today? It hurts my eyes to see people drive "boring" Asian cars today and the Chinese are pushing to get into the American car market. So what is wrong?

I for sure don't like "throw away" cars. In many years the vintage car market will be really limited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 12:00 PM

7,851 posts, read 10,362,555 times
Tell me what constitues an American car. Is it the brand/image, or where it's made, or where the majority of its parts come from, or where final assembly takes place?

The Camaro, the quintissential current muscle car from GM is made in Canada. The Camry, posterchild for beige crap is assembled in Kentucky. Toyota full size trucks are from Texas, while Escalades and Avalanches are from Mexico.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:08 PM

18,100 posts, read 16,638,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAS007 View Post
For centuries Americans loved their vehicles and took pride in owning American cars and trucks. Those vehicles made history worldwide and are well known.

But what about today? It hurts my eyes to see people drive "boring" Asian cars today and the Chinese are pushing to get into the American car market. So what is wrong?

I for sure don't like "throw away" cars. In many years the vintage car market will be really limited.
I can tell from your post that you are a big 3 fanboy. Have you looked at the cars GM and Ford are putting out, talk about boring, they are nothing but made for the rental car market. So get over your big 3 crush. There are better vehicles out there than what they make.

By the way, I do take pride in what I drive. I have a 1992 4Runner that I have had since 1994 and it still looks new. I also hve a 2010 Corolla that looks new. My wifes's 2004 CRV looks new. I take good care of all our vehicles inside, out and under the hood. That is what I call taking pride in what I drive.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:15 PM

8,881 posts, read 15,644,831 times
Quote:
For centuries Americans loved their vehicles and took pride in owning American cars and trucks.
Seriously? Centuries? Did I pull a rip Van Winkle and sleep a couple hundred years?

Quote:
Those vehicles made history worldwide and are well known.
Adolph Hitler also made history and was well known, what's your point?

Quote:
For one thing, contemporary American cars are just as boring as Asian cars. For another, most Asian cars sold in the US are built here as well.

Quote:
I for sure don't like "throw away" cars.
Neither do I. And again, I'm not sure what your point is; 30 years ago most cars were worn out at 100,000 miles. Today there are many cars on the road with twice that. It seems like the domestic cars of the past were the "throw away" cars.

Quote:
In many years the vintage car market will be really limited.
Like it's not already?

Old 06-15-2012, 12:18 PM

5,092 posts, read 9,052,223 times
I posted this in another thread, but it seems it would fit in here as well

The Tundra Is Now America’s “Most American” Pickup | Tundra Headquarters

1. ALL Tundras are built in the USA. Since 2007, the Tundra has had 75% or more domestic content (80% in 2010). Every Tundra has either been built in Texas or Princeton, Indiana since the model debuted in 2000…the F150, GM trucks, and Ram have all been built in Mexico at one point or another over the last 10 years.

2. Toyota has invested more in new US plants than Ford, GM, or Ram over the last decade. While GM, Ford, and Chrysler stumbled and shuttered plant after plant after plant, Toyota has invested $1.5 billion in San Antonio, $514 million in Alabama, and $800 million in Mississippi (down from an initial plan of $1.3 billion). While it’s true that Toyota oversaw the closure of NUMMI, GM’s decision to pull out of NUMMI forced Toyota to do the same…so they only get half the blame on that one. BTW, Toyota offered NUMMI workers a $250 million dollar severance.
So, while the domestics closed plants, Toyota built new ones.
…But All The Profits Go To Japan

This is a classic argument for people to “buy American,” but it really doesn’t make sense. First of all, it’s not true that ALL of the profits go to Japan. We’ve proven that a big chunk of Toyota’s profits stay in the USA. Secondly, so what if they do? Toyota earned $12 billion in profits in 2005 (Toyota’s most profitable year EVER), but that was only 6.3% of their total revenue. The amount of profit Toyota sends to Japan is SMALL in comparison to the amount of money GM, Ford, and Chrysler-Fiat are sending overseas for parts and labor!
If the Tundra has 80% domestic content and costs $35,000, than 80% of that money – about $28,000 – should stay in the US and Canada (give or take).
If the average F-Series costs $35,000, and only 55% of that truck is domestic content, then only $19,250 stays in the US and Canada.
While this is clearly an oversimplification, the fact of the matter is that buying U.S. manufactured vehicles with U.S. content is good for the U.S. economy…even if those vehicles are made by Toyota. Buying Fords, GMs, and Chrysler-Fiats manufactured in Mexico? That might not be as good for the U.S. economy as everyone seems to think.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:19 PM

14,777 posts, read 34,525,274 times
The first thing I would say is that I don't think the amount of people "taking pride in their ride" has changed. Even in the "glory days" the vast majority of people bought their car as an appliance to drive to work and back. The cars of that time period were also much more likely to be "throw aways" then modern cars are, at least in terms of realistic lifespan. As for "boring", yeah there is plenty of that from all manufacturers and a little smattering of fun here and there, but is that all that different from the past? No, not at all. Of course, I could also point out that a "Plain Jane" Camry V6 would suck the doors off of a 1965 Mustang 289.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:29 PM

8,881 posts, read 15,644,831 times
For the record, the 2012 vehicle with the highest domestic parts content is the Toyota Camry at 92%

I don't know what has the lowest domestic parts content, but the 2012 Ford Focus - which I learned in another post that the OP's wife drives - is pretty dadgum low at 40%.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:35 PM

17,579 posts, read 38,320,873 times
Quote:

Are you drunk?

Old 06-15-2012, 12:45 PM

22,697 posts, read 28,583,687 times
my car gets me from point A to point B. i dont take pride in it. even if it was an american car i wouldnt take pride in it. i would think that would be more of an issue for the people that made it than the people that drive it. maybe if i made my own car id take more pride it in. but then it wouldnt be able to get me 5 feet.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:47 PM

17,579 posts, read 38,320,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my car gets me from point A to point B. i dont take pride in it. even if it was an american car i wouldnt take pride in it. i would think that would be more of an issue for the people that made it than the people that drive it. maybe if i made my own car id take more pride it in. but then it wouldnt be able to get me 5 feet.
Don't sell yourself short. I bet you could make it 10 feet. Just start on a hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or