Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 06:04 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryfry View Post
Love BMW's, think Audi has some excellent designs, cannot stand M-B. Having owned a couple of 3 series cars in the past, they seem to be more driver oriented. My boss has an Audi S4 Quattro V8 twin turbo and I must admit, it really screams.
No such bird. The S4 has been sold with a single-turbo straight-5, a twin-turbo V6 or a normally aspirated V8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
I had the money, and I was ready to buy my dream car...a BMW. But I was greatly disappointed when I test drove a 3 series. It was pretty much like my Camry, just felt heavier. Then I tried a Mercedes...I liked it better, but I hated the square hump in the back seat. Audi...sorry, I hate Audis and have heard too many horrible things about reliability and service.
I settled for an Acura TSX. It's OK...
I've decided (for now) that my "I've made it" car once I graduate, get settled and get some school debt paid down will be the BMW 135i. I just wish they'd sell the hatchback version in the States. Bastards.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:12 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Having had the pleasure of operating a 745i Euro BMW back in the early 90's for over 30,000 miles ... BMW definitely had Turbo'ed 6's that screamed! The car had a "buffalo hide" leather interior that was superb for durability and comfort. Other than routine maintenance, I don't recall any issues with that car ... oh, maybe a seeping left rear suspension unit requiring a top up of the hydraulic reservoir now and then with some gold derived ATE hydraulic fluid from the platinum metal can. The fellow I sold it to claimed he'd run against Porsches at 140+ for many miles in the Utah deserts and had no problem keeping up with them .... and the car still kept running without distress for many years.

That was one of the few cars that gave my 6.9 'Benz a run for it's money in comfort, handling, performance, and durability. I preferred the raw power and handling of the 300SEL6.3, but it was rather rough compared to the later 6.9 cars.

In the other extreme, my 4000CS Audi Quattro sedans were simple, durable, good handing, reliable, comfortable, and economical to operate. I wasn't very happy when Audi went more upmarket and more performance oriented at greater cost with lower durability after 1997.

I went through several 2002 BMW's, and still have a one-owner 1972 which gives yeoman service. The interior build quality wasn't as good as it could have been, but it was a lot of car for a tad over $3,000 out the dealer's lot back then. There were a few isses with it ... a tender input shaft on the trans, thinner sheet metal than I'd like to have seen in the fenders and at the trunk area ... but I've rebuilt the trans and kept the car rust free all these years.

I still own/operate a couple of 1982-3 123 chassis 300Dturbo sedans. Simple (except for the damn climate control), durable, reliable, comfortable (although not as comfortable as the 126 chassis series), with good handling and tough as nails build quality throughout. I think these were the last quality cars from MB, after years of owning 108, 109, 107, 114, 111, and 115 series chassis cars from 'Benz.

IMO, all three of these manufacturers have strayed from the quality of design and execution that marked their better cars of the 60's-early 80's. All had a few "lemons" in the line when it came to longer term build quality (Bavarias, 250's, 100's), but they also built some stellar vehicles for reasonable money which are worth keeping around even today. The electronics issues in the current cars are quite problematic, but I can point to underbuilt cooling systems, inadequate drivelines, underbuilt accessory items, cylinder head and manifold problems, and numerous other mechanical failures that simply aren't up to their old quality, let alone current standards of the competition.

I truly fear the day when I won't be able to run my older vehicles anymore ... they're simple enough that I can keep them on the road for little money and work on them entirely by myself. Without dealer diagnostics for the current vehicles, it's going to be a problem diagnosing difficulties, let alone repairing them. The current levels of efficiency/fuel economy simply don't justify the maintenance and operational expenses compared to what the industry was building in the 1970's and 1980's.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:44 PM

190 posts, read 219,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy View Post
For looks Audi they look lovely inside and out not so keen on the newer BMW's the shapes can look a bit strange not so much the 3 series. Not really into the Merc's don't know much about them and don't really pay attention to them. I have only driven the BMW and as a fan of RWD they are fun in the rain and snow especially the 3 series.
Audi's changing from their traditional Torsen 50/50 AWD setup - a traditional system that gave little driver feedback - to a more rear drive orientation. The first car with this was the RS4, which I believe had a 40/60 RWD bias setup.

And I personally was disappointed with the way the new 3 series drove. It seemed softer and overboosted and I really couldn't tell what everyone meant when they said BMW's are true drivers cars. It just didn't drive that great to me.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryfry View Post
Hate to be the one to say it, but the Lexus models are vastly superior in many ways, especially resale value. I had the chance to drive an LS 430 a couple of years ago and I was blown away. It was quiet, fast, comfortable, and had a Nakamichi sound system that was out of this world.
Anyone who believes Lexus makes superior cars is not concerned with performance driving at all. You just can't have both. And Lexus quality is overrated.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Having had the pleasure of operating a 745i Euro BMW back in the early 90's for over 30,000 miles ...
I was actually an inch from buying a gray-market 1984 745i about 10 years ago until I thought better of what it would take to get driveline parts for it on this continent or find a mechanic who would touch it.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:04 PM

I always liked older 7-series, I remember they also came in 5-speeds. There's a red 1990 735i manual on ebay right now. If I had the money, I'd definitely snap that up. A true drivers' large sedan.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:44 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity & beyond View Post
I always liked older 7-series, I remember they also came in 5-speeds. There's a red 1990 735i manual on ebay right now. If I had the money, I'd definitely snap that up. A true drivers' large sedan.
That is a "large" sedan???

Old 09-26-2007, 06:29 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,717,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
That is a "large" sedan???
Compared to that Fleetwood, the new Boeing Dreamliner is considered a compact.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:32 AM

951 posts, read 1,655,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
No such bird. The S4 has been sold with a single-turbo straight-5, a twin-turbo V6 or a normally aspirated V8.

It's definately a V8. I thought he said was a turbo as well. I'll check it out, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive