Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 10:51 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times

Advertisements

Last year i bought a simple Verizon LG Accolade flip phone. it came with a free phone car adaptor which i didn't try to use until this AM. when i plugged it into the car cigarette lighter, it didn't seem to fit. I wasn't going to force it. so i just bought a Just Wireless phone car charger that fits all LG models. this time it did fit in the cig lighter so it's good to go

however, what is confusing is the complimentary adapter just says it is an adapter but the Just Wireless package says it powers the phone from the vehicle and has a charging LED light

does this mean that when the phone is off but plugged into the cig lighter with the car running the phone will charge like it will when plugged into your home outlet? or does it just maintain whatever charge you left home with?

and was the complimentary adaptor meant to go into the cig lighter or another adaptor? i don't know if i should dump it or save it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 10:53 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
It should charge as your home charger, but it will take longer.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:30 AM

5,119 posts, read 16,592,135 times
Once upon a time, a Verizon employee told me that using a car charger to charge my old LG phone would charge at a different rate/level/voltage or whaterver and if I used that method of charging a lot, over time, it could damage my battery life. I rarely use my car charger now.

This might be old news with newer phones and technology but I thought I'd let you know what I learned.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:28 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
I just use an inverter and plug in a regular charger. That way when I arrive somewhere, I always have a charger to use inside as well. It charges faster too. With the car charger, if I use navigation, it does nto seem to charge the phone at all.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:02 PM

egga thanks for the info.

cold jensens what's an inverter?

yesterday my verizon lg cell phone was most likely damaged in the heat (left it in my car when it was being serviced and parked in the heat for awhile) so i replaced it with a new verizon samsung phone.

2 weeks ago i had bought a car charger for the old LG which according to the packing said it was for LG phones

I also have home wall chargers for the old LG

i noticed that the LG jack goes right into the new Samsung phone and seems to charge

is there any risk of damage to the new Samsung phone by using an LG plug (as a spare for example) in the Samsung? the target employee told me as long as it fits it will work and won't damage. is this true?

Old 07-07-2012, 03:30 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Are you talking about the wall or car charger? Car charger will be fine. Wall charger might, although it's unlikely, damage the phone. Look at the ampage. If it's significantly higher, don't use it.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:56 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Are you talking about the wall or car charger? Car charger will be fine. Wall charger might, although it's unlikely, damage the phone. Look at the ampage. If it's significantly higher, don't use it.
Amperage is a matter of how much the charger can supply. The phone will only allow as much current as is necessary to properly supply the connected device.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:37 PM

the LG wall charger is .2 A; the Samsung wall charger is .15 A, the other figures between the 2 are identical

Old 07-09-2012, 10:18 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,435,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Once upon a time, a Verizon employee told me that using a car charger to charge my old LG phone would charge at a different rate/level/voltage or whaterver and if I used that method of charging a lot, over time, it could damage my battery life. I rarely use my car charger now.

This might be old news with newer phones and technology but I thought I'd let you know what I learned.
That's not true. Quality of the charger matters far more than the source.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:31 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post

That Verizon person probably was misinformed (I chose a nice word).

The "car charger" simply converts the 12V of the car's electrical system to whatever voltage is required to charge the phone. Most car chargers can supply enough current for the phone to be used and charged at the same time. Phones draw (or suck) electricity from the charger. The charger will supply as much current as it can. A powerful charger doesn't push electricity to the phone - but can probably charge faster because it can supply as much as the phone wants.

Today most phones other than iPhones use a microUSB power connector. That means they all charge at 5V (which is the USB standard). So a Samsung car charger with a microUSB connector can charge an LG, HTC, Motorola, etc that uses the same connector.

Charging rates vary by the charger. My wife's iGo charger is faster than the home charger, which is faster than charging from a USB cable plugged into a computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive