Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 06:24 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly57 View Post
What about one of those huge "toolbox" storage units that attach to the bed of the truck, up against the cab? Sorry, I don't know exactly what it's called and I've never owned a truck but they look like they'd hold a good bit of stuff. I realize they're probably not cheap but realistically that's the only way to store anything as safe as you can in the bed of a truck. I'm not sure how much "stuff" you're hauling so I don't know if that would be sufficient or not. Just an idea though.
I second this is as the best option. Maybe even better, just haul all your stuff into the motel room for the night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 06:27 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
I looked up Uhaul and it would be around $140 one way so I'm not sure if that's what I want to do.
How big of a trailer did you input? a 5x8 for three days is around $80.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:42 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
The hitch trunk is a possibility but I'm not sure if it's worth around $500. I might just have to invest in a bed toolbox.

We though about keeping my stuff in the hotel room but that is a lot of work. I may have to do a combination of the two. We were already discussing putting stuff in plastic bins in case there's some rain so that would make it easier to haul in.

It was the 4x8 but I just noticed that it was the 5 day rate.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:56 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
The first rule of keeping things safe in a vehicle is to keep them hidden. I've had major sound systems in every vehicle for 20+ years, and never had a break in (knocking on wood right now), because little to none of any of those systems was visible. I seldom leave anything but a water bottle, towel, or magazine visible in a vehicle I'm going to be away from for any length of time. This alone stops most breakins, because (especially in a hotel parking lot) there is usually a vehicle that has visible stuff worth stealing. Make sure yours is not that vehicle, and you've most likely prevented your stuff from being stolen. Thieves want the easy obvious mark, not a maybe.

Beyond that, your options have mostly been presented. If you buy a cover, or box, I'd add a lock or two that are visible, so that would-be thief sees yours will not be easy to access. Just keep in mind that locks and alarms are deterrents. A pro who really wants your stuff is going to get it. But you're not likely to encounter too many that are willing to spend the time necessary to do so, if you make it difficult.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:13 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
To what's been posted so far, I can only add that you could consider buying a small enclosed trailer, new or used, and that the in-bed tool boxs can be found used as well as new, and if you get a good one, don't pay too much for it, you can re-sell it for what you paid for it, usually, after using it several years.

Although. I would look into one of those full-bed slide-out covers. Gives you a lot of dry storage space, and you can retract it when needing to use the bed open.

You didn't ask, but I will volunteer this anyway - Don't loan your truck out to other students. Just don't do it. Get used to saying, "no". Tell them to get their own damn truck.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:58 PM

Oh we always keep stuff hidden. We make sure that there's nothing in plain view for someone to smash and grab something. I mainly just want something that deters people from even trying. As long as it's an obviously difficult task to steal something I'm content. We'll probably be staying at a hotel we've stayed at many times before in a sleepy Jackson, MS suburb. I'm not worried about pro thieves in that area.

I looked at bed covers online but any with locks that seem durable enough and secure enough are $500+. I didn't even think about buying a used tool box for cheaper. I don't need anything fancy. Does anyone know where I could find used tool boxes? I don't buy much. Online or in store.

Haha I'll be sure to keep that in mind. Fortunately I go to school in Texas and there are trucks everywhere. My 95 Ram will look measly compared to a lot of trucks there. I'd probably be the last choice for most.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:15 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post

You didn't ask, but I will volunteer this anyway - Don't loan your truck out to other students. Just don't do it. Get used to saying, "no". Tell them to get their own damn truck.
A guy acquires a bunch of new friends when he buys a truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Oh we always keep stuff hidden. We make sure that there's nothing in plain view for someone to smash and grab something. I mainly just want something that deters people from even trying. As long as it's an obviously difficult task to steal something I'm content. We'll probably be staying at a hotel we've stayed at many times before in a sleepy Jackson, MS suburb. I'm not worried about pro thieves in that area.

I looked at bed covers online but any with locks that seem durable enough and secure enough are $500+. I didn't even think about buying a used tool box for cheaper. I don't need anything fancy. Does anyone know where I could find used tool boxes? I don't buy much. Online or in store.

Haha I'll be sure to keep that in mind. Fortunately I go to school in Texas and there are trucks everywhere. My 95 Ram will look measly compared to a lot of trucks there. I'd probably be the last choice for most.
Craigslist. ebay. ebay classifieds. The parts-for-sale section in truck forums. Newspaper ads, online or in print.

Lat year I considered taking a long trip using a pickup. I measured, and found that numerous (8? 10? I forget exactly how many would fit) milk crates would fit neatly in a particular bedbox I'd seen. My plan was to put various items by category in them, so I could easily grab the ones I needed. Seemed efficient to me.

Given what you posted you should be able to fly under the radar, and likely remain unnoticed.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:04 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
How nice is your truck? If it's pretty nice, sell it and buy a really crappy looking truck that runs and drives well. Put your good stuff in the middle of the bed and surround it with junk. Throw a smelly old canvas tarp over everything, making sure some of the junk sticks out from under the edges. Garnish it with pop cans and fast food bags and call it good.

I know it works, I've been doing it this way for 20 years.

But if you re3ally want a toolbox - and they are handy - check the local auction listings. I bought one that isn't real pretty but works great for $2. I've seen fairly nice ones go for $25, and really nice diamond tread ones sell for under $100 through an auction.

But it's hit and miss. If there's one other guy who really wants something at an auction it cab go for almost new price.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:00 AM

It's not a real nice truck so I might just put junk all around everything else.
Auction's are something I might have to check out. I don't need anything fancy or heavy duty. I don't even care if it looks good.

Thanks everyone

Old 06-30-2012, 10:37 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
It's not a real nice truck so I might just put junk all around everything else.
Auction's are something I might have to check out. I don't need anything fancy or heavy duty. I don't even care if it looks good.

Thanks everyone

Well, heck, if it's a beater, get some materials and make your own strongbox. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive