U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 03:45 PM

161 posts, read 326,107 times

Advertisements

When you see a teenager or 20-something driving a luxury or status car, what goes through mind? When I was in high school, it was de rigeur for 16 year-olds to get new luxury cars. It wasn't until I went away to college that I realized how fortunate we were.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 04:20 PM

13,559 posts, read 16,060,181 times
My thoughts are that their parents' indulgence of these kids is going to lead to feelings of...inadequacy for some--or perhaps many--of them when they get older. What happens when you are in your 30s, 40s or 50s, and you are driving an older, non-luxury car because your salary is not very good and/or your parents are no longer willing or able to subsidize you?

Can't happen you say?
I beg to differ.
I worked with a guy who, in company with his wife, overcompensated to an incredible extent with their adopted son. Whatever that kid wanted, he got. He needs a computer? Yes, that's totally reasonable. But...4 computers? I could never quite figure that one out.

He needs a car? Okay, but at the age of 17, does he really need a brand-new BMW, that he then proceeded to wreck within less than 2 months? And, after the wreck, of course they immediately ordered a new Beemer to replace the totaled one.

This kid was transferred from one private school to another, because "nobody understands him". (Translation: Nobody was inflating his grades sufficiently for the parents.)

When he came of working age, he wound up leaving one company after another, because...guess what? None of those bosses understood him! (Translation: Nobody told him how wonderful he was on a daily basis, as his parents did.)

When this kid got married, his wife did not keep their home clean enough to please him, and she did not iron his shirts correctly, according to him. So, the result was that Mommy went to their house a couple of times each week, in order to do the cleaning and ironing while sonny-boy and his wife were at work.

Do I need to point out the obvious...that sonny-boy soon divorced his wife because...she just didn't understand him?

Due to business reversals, Mommy and Daddy are no longer able to buy cars and other luxuries for sonny-boy, and he is now in a state of deep depression because he is living in a small apartment in a dodgy neighborhood, and is driving an old beater of a car.

Why is he so depressed? Because he is living at a much lower standard than he was when he was totally indulged as a teen, and into his early adult years, and as a result, he now feels like a failure.

So, parents, if you want to set your child up for defeat and depression later in life, just keep heaping on the luxury goods now. Yes, you will regret it later, but I know that, at this point, you won't stop this self-defeating behavior.

Sincere good luck with that ultimately depressed adult child!

Old 07-04-2012, 04:52 PM

7,183 posts, read 7,513,131 times
All the Chaldean kids drive luxury cars around my house.
I've come to think of it as normal!

Old 07-04-2012, 04:55 PM

33,134 posts, read 39,067,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SC View Post
When you see a teenager or 20-something driving a luxury or status car, what goes through mind? When I was in high school, it was de rigeur for 16 year-olds to get new luxury cars. It wasn't until I went away to college that I realized how fortunate we were.

Thoughts?
Mom or Dads car or the kids up to his eyeballs in credit debt already.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:13 PM

14,095 posts, read 22,963,452 times
If the kid is driving an old Volvo or an old Saab I think the parents are concerned about safety. If the kid is driving brand new vehicles like BMW, Merc, etc then I think someone is spoiled rotten and their parents are showing off their cash needlessly.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:53 PM

3,133 posts, read 9,101,058 times
To some people, $50k is what $3k is to others. Haters gonna hate. I see it as stimulating the economy and the state with more tax money.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:47 AM

13,457 posts, read 14,445,292 times
Quote:
80SC;25024452]When you see a teenager or 20-something driving a luxury or status car, what goes through mind?
They're driving their parent's car, if I notice it at all.

Quote:
....When I was in high school, it was de rigeur for 16 year-olds to get new luxury cars.
If that was customary at your school then you went to a high school with an inordinate amount of students from very well-to-do families.

I'm thinking Beverly Hills, River Oaks (Houston) and the like.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:03 AM

1,745 posts, read 1,571,729 times
It all depends on the area. Where I grew up (on Long Island), my high school parking lot was full of brand new BMWs, Hummers, Lexus', Infinitis, etc. I was actually looked down upon because I got my dad's hand-me down Nissan Xterra (it was 3 years old at the time).

However, I look at myself now and realize how lucky I was. I didn't need to have a status car that early in my life, nor did I have the need to then continue to get better and better cars. I started off with a nice SUV that got the job done and was able to drive on the beach and such. When that car got to the end of its life, I got a nice starter car with my own money (Honda Fit), and have been able to get a better car now (VW GLI).

Old 07-05-2012, 06:12 AM

8,221 posts, read 10,946,004 times
A friend of mine just mentioned that to me. One of her daughters friends just turned 16 and she got a new Mercedes for her birthday, my friend was like... the kid is driving a better car than the dentist...

Winter park is full of that with Rollins College adding to the spoiled kids. One kid drove an Aston Martin, another, MB 500SL. There are some fortunate people around but I don't think that will prepare the kids well for life...assuming the trust fund has limits.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:35 AM

3,229 posts, read 6,655,664 times
I guess it depends on the age of the kids. When I see a teenager in a BMW 6 series I typically think it either belongs to their parents or they're parents have provided them with a nice car. If I see a mid 20 something with a sweet car I eitehr think they're successful or highly indebt. From my observations with friends who drive $40k cars, they're normally succesful adults and come from good families (older money). That doesn't mean they're filthy rich or anything, but these were typically the kids who's parents had a great house in a high end suburb, a lake house, a boat to go with it, and their parents were normally in decent vehicles (lexus, acura, etc), and dad probably had an old muscle car he'd drive on weekends to relive his youth. Seems to be the profile of most young folks I know with "fancy" cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or