Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 12:44 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times

Advertisements

SloMoVideos - Driver surfs on top of speeding truck crashes - YouTube
this is the best one ever put on the internet IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 01:53 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
It's hard to say what is the worst since I live in NJ and driving in general around here is pretty much a circus. Take all the "worsts" you have ever seen, and imagine them taking place day-to-day in the most densely populated state in the country. Some people say NJ drivers are the "worst". On the contrary, I think we are some of the best given that most of us manage to get from A to B without dieing while lunacy reigns around us.

There was one "stunt" that I personally thought was beyond retarded. I was on the NJ Turnpike where it is only two lanes in each direction (four total) and trucks and cars are intermingled. I was in a construction zone where both shoulders were closed which basically meant we were running through a cattleshoot. Traffic was moving at about 45mph and I was sitting next to an 18-wheeler. Had a guy on motorcycle blow past me on the lane marker lines between the truck and I. He must have been going about 70+. Considering how tight the truck and I were he probably had just enough room to squeeze between us without hitting either one. He actually startled me when he went by and thankfully for him I didn't yank the wheel or he would have been road kill.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:16 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
It's hard to say what is the worst since I live in NJ and driving in general around here is pretty much a circus. Take all the "worsts" you have ever seen, and imagine them taking place day-to-day in the most densely populated state in the country. Some people say NJ drivers are the "worst". On the contrary, I think we are some of the best given that most of us manage to get from A to B without dieing while lunacy reigns around us.

There was one "stunt" that I personally thought was beyond retarded. I was on the NJ Turnpike where it is only two lanes in each direction (four total) and trucks and cars are intermingled. I was in a construction zone where both shoulders were closed which basically meant we were running through a cattleshoot. Traffic was moving at about 45mph and I was sitting next to an 18-wheeler. Had a guy on motorcycle blow past me on the lane marker lines between the truck and I. He must have been going about 70+. Considering how tight the truck and I were he probably had just enough room to squeeze between us without hitting either one. He actually startled me when he went by and thankfully for him I didn't yank the wheel or he would have been road kill.
I was on the 99/50/I-5 interchange area in Sacramento (traffic is always horrible there) and saw a motorcycle being a bit too aggressive in his lane splitting. Now, I do split lanes when I ride, so I'm not at all opposed to it in principle, just not the way he was doing it. Too fast, splitting lanes in a turn, didn't look like he was looking far ahead (why split when there's an opening about to come up?).... A minute later he'd spilled his bike and was blocking traffic picking it up. Looked okay, bruised ego and probably your typical damage to the fairings in a low-speed parking lot spill. I didn't stop, but I wonder if he ever learned anything from the experience.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:00 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,781,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Traffic was moving at about 45mph and I was sitting next to an 18-wheeler. Had a guy on motorcycle blow past me on the lane marker lines between the truck and I. He must have been going about 70+. Considering how tight the truck and I were he probably had just enough room to squeeze between us without hitting either one. He actually startled me when he went by and thankfully for him I didn't yank the wheel or he would have been road kill.
I seen the same thing in California, bikers speeding down the lines between lanes at 60+ MPH when traffic is moving less then 30. I was very surprised to learn this is perfectly legal in California.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:17 PM

392 posts, read 1,552,847 times
Speaking of lane splitting, that reminds me of this Youtube video showing a lane splitting motorcyclist in Japan. It's an old one, but in case you've not seen it, here is a link. Apparently it's common in Japan, although I don't think most are this aggressive.

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=PL22233C37EC1 33E4F&v=TAVVBjrTu0w

Old 07-05-2012, 09:01 PM

662 posts, read 1,228,077 times
The dumbest things I have seen on the road have just about all been on crotch rockets.

- Passing slowed traffic on the shoulder going 100+ mph
- People pulling wheelies going down the interstate at 70-80 mph, with a passenger on the back. I have seen people do this with ATVs as well.
- Stoppies
- Shoe surfing. I guy I know hit a metal light pole while doing this. Wrecked his bike and gave himself a concussion despite him wearing a helmet, and he was going "only" around 20 mph.

The dumbest things I have seen anybody do on four wheels besides the wheelie pulling ATV riders pale in comparison. I saw an oblivious person who had at least two flat tires continuing to drive down the highway showering sparks from the rims. I saw another oblivious person continue to drive a late model Taurus with a locked up driver's side rear wheel for several miles down city streets, stopping at several lights before they realized what was going on (the pull to one side and the massive cloud of acrid smoke didn't give it away?) I have seen people blow engines doing burnouts and such, I don't think that quite qualifies as they weren't really on the road. Although, a runaway diesel pickup engine after the overboosted turbo's oil seal blows is pretty impressive to watch.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:58 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Just saw this today. Two Bozo bicyclist riding side by side in the left lane on a four lane highway going into a traffic circle. Death wish I guess.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
One behavior I'll never understand is people's tendency to tailgate somebody pulling a trailer.

When my sons & I did a sideline lawn-care service, we were usually pulling an open 20' tandem-axle trailer that was loaded with equipment. EVERY day there would be somebody driving within 3' - 5' of the back of the trailer. It happened ALL the time, and at all speeds. I have no idea why.
Hypermilers do this to maximize fuel economy by riding the slipstream created by your trailer.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:00 PM

16,665 posts, read 17,430,851 times
I've been down a two lane carriageway with a vehicle coming the wrong way at me. I was in a driving school car, learning to drive in the 1970s.

I've seen so much over the years but I guess one memorable event was a car coming across the median from the opposite direction in the wet and missing me by a few feet.

I had a tire from a truck explode and bounce over my car, overtook a car just as his rear wheel came off, had a trailer shed its load right in front of me, had a suitcase come off a roof rack of the vehicle in front of me on the freeway, a brick come off a lorry and take out my sump.......................

Old 07-06-2012, 05:42 PM

24,458 posts, read 25,995,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
Yeah, women have definitely caught up to men in many areas such as wages, suffrage, and now aggressive driving. While the average male is probably more aggressive than the average female, I think the most aggressive drivers are women.

I was once driving in moderate traffic at 65 MPH on the right lane. Traffic was flowing 65-75. Out of nowhere this dumb 20ish chick in a Toyota goes flying past me at 85 MPH like a bat out of hell -- ON THE RIGHT SHOULDER!!!!!
Definitely have notice a up tic in young girls/women driving unsafely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive