Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2012, 12:41 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,053,552 times

Advertisements

I have a 99 Mazda with 170k miles on it. It looks good, and runs fine. However, I may have to let it sit in a driveway for 1-2 years.

The car isn't really worth much, and I have spent more in maintenance over the years than I could sell it for.

I would like to keep it, as it is dependable and looks good, but I've heard when cars are not driven regularly, there can be problems.

Should I sell it or let it sit for a few years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 12:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,131,933 times
With proper preparation there's no problem with letting it sit, though it would be better to have a friend/relative run it once/twice a week. Putting it up on blocks/jackstands keeps the weight off the tires. Garaging it keeps any leaks that develop from getting it all moldy or rusty inside. If you pull the spark plugs, then squirt some oil into the tops of the pistons it will help keep rust from humidity from getting onto them and the cylinder walls. Buy a gas preservative to add to the tank so you won't come back and have to drain bad gas out. A trickle battery charger will help keep it ready but for that long it might be best to disconnect it and recharge or replace it when you return. When you do get back, change the oil, and turn over the engine a few times without the spark plugs in to get the oil circulating. Check the other fluid levels, belts and hoses, put the plugs back in and drive to the gas station to top it up with fresh and you should be good to go.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:17 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,621,334 times
The cost to insure that car will be the key determinant whether to keep or sell. My grandmother was in a similar position after my grandpa died and his Explorer was just sitting in the garage for months on end. We convinced her that she was just wasting money on insurance for a car that she drove once a yr to haul the Xmas tree back from the lot.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:27 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,917,103 times
Get rid of it. The issue will be with the already marginal seals. Sitting and no oil being against them will cause them to dry out even more. You'll have to reseal the main bearings and the transmission at the end of 2 years sitting. That's more than the car is worth. Unload it now and save yerself some grief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive