U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-09-2012, 04:34 AM

369 posts, read 519,008 times
Default Homemade wooden flatbed pick up trucks

I need to squeeze another year or two out of my truck. The bed has rusted out and is literally falling off.
Fabricating one out of pressure treated wood is not an issue for me

For those in New Hampshire: Are these street legal ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 05:32 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,846,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtwigg View Post
I need to squeeze another year or two out of my truck. The bed has rusted out and is literally falling off.

Check with the RMV/DOT, but when I was there I saw some absolutely gorgeous wooden beds, some stained and covered with marine-grade polyurethane, some with stake-sides. Almost too nice to actually put anything in it.
There were many in MA, but that was 20 years ago, so I don't know the rules now, but I would be very surprised if they are not entirely legal. You aren't messing with the VIN, and if you don't compromise the structural integrity too much... I think you would be fine. If it is a full-frame truck, the bed is essentially just along for the ride...

(To digress as I usually do, come ride in a tuk-tuk or a songthaew, and that will freak you out as to what is legal in other parts of the world).

Old 07-09-2012, 05:11 PM

369 posts, read 519,008 times
Checked several reliable sources, as long as the wheels are covered i'm GTG

Old 07-09-2012, 08:59 PM

2,737 posts, read 974,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtwigg View Post

Don't know about NH, but would assume that if your wheels are covered by fenders, your lights all work properly, and you have a license plate displayed, you should be good to go.

I don't know why a wooden flatbed would be treated any differently than the steel ones you see on trucks all the time.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:49 AM

6,536 posts, read 14,478,128 times
Pick up beds are cheap. We have many in the county with mismatched beds as many do not care what they look like. You can find beds in craigslist for a couple hundred dollars. Cheaper than the lumber yard.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:42 AM

2,737 posts, read 974,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Pick up beds are cheap. We have many in the county with mismatched beds as many do not care what they look like. You can find beds in craigslist for a couple hundred dollars. Cheaper than the lumber yard.
That may be true in California, but up here in The Snow & Rust Belt that is not the case. It's pretty slim pickins, and any truck box that isn't a complete rust bucket is probably going to run upwards of $1,000.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:38 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,566,231 times
You could maybe try CT or another state that doesn't use salt

Old 07-10-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
You could maybe try CT or another state that doesn't use salt
Not sure where that C-D (Chronic Dis-information) came from, but they most certainly do.

Quote:"DOT trucks were filling up with road salt in East Hartford and across the state."

But then again, how would I know? I only have a house there...

Fortunately, where I spend most of my time, there is no such thing as snow (or going below freezing).

Old 07-10-2012, 08:43 AM

5,090 posts, read 6,410,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Not sure where that C-D (Chronic Dis-information) came from, but they most certainly do.

Quote:"DOT trucks were filling up with road salt in East Hartford and across the state."

But then again, how would I know? I only have a house there...

Fortunately, where I spend most of my time, there is no such thing as snow (or going below freezing).
I too was conteplating buying a high horse...

Old 07-10-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I too was conteplating buying a high horse...
First, it is spelled "contemplating".
Second, my question is "How high a horse?" Personally, I would like this one:
http://www.leonardo-da-vinci-biograp...ci-horse.2.jpg

I am no moderator here (nor would I ever want to be), but when people post stuff that is downright wrong and inaccurate, I think it is acceptable to chime in.

Just my personal opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive