Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 03:12 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,090,232 times

Advertisements

I am not a BMW guy, but no self respecting fan of BMW cars calls them "beemers." That name is reserved for motorcycles. BMW vehicles with 4 wheels are properly called "bimmers."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 03:13 PM

484 posts, read 852,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
A co-worker just did European Delivery on his new 328i. It has the 2.0L turbocharged four, and he had the benefit of getting to drive the car on the autobahn initially, while also saving ~$2500 on the purchase price. He said it was a very clean affair and very to the point without any hiccups. The start/stop feature, along with the small turbocharged engine lends to pretty fair fuel economy in a semi-inexpensive sport sedan. The A3 TDI would be the fuel sipping winner of the semi-luxury category. Could also consider a well equipped VW CC, built on the Passat Chassis, it comes gorgeously setup for 40k. The 2012 and earlier models looked nicer than the 2013, and with the 2.0Turbo engine you'd get in the 30's for highway MPG. A used BMW 335D would be a good option as well. Good luck!
Thank you,

So it's still possible to do this with BMW. I would definitely do this If I make a BMW purchase. Also, I will add the other cars you suggest it to my list to check out.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I am not a BMW guy, but no self respecting fan of BMW cars calls them "beemers." That name is reserved for motorcycles. BMW vehicles with 4 wheels are properly called "bimmers."
I was not aware, I hear so many people from different walks of life who own BMW's saying " I just bought a new Beamer" - "Let me give you a ride in my beamer" 'Going to pick up my beamer from my mechanic" etc., etc.,

Could it be possible, different strokes for different folks in different demographics? IDK

On another note, my brother use to joke and call them "Bash My Windows".

Old 07-13-2012, 03:29 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,323,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peerage View Post
HA HA..

I would think with a name BMWguydc you would be loyal to your name and recommending a beamer

May I ask who did you rent your MB from? This would be a great opportunity for me to test drive the car for a few days.

Thank you, for the recommendation and additional information.
Ha! ha! Well, BMWs are good, but the C250 has a slight advantage in the fuel economy department with the smaller engine. I rented that vehicle from Hertz, and I believe that they also carry Infiniti G sedans as well as Cadillacs. It might make sense to rent one for a weekend to get a longer time behind the wheel. I know they have Infiniti as I have had those prevuiously, but not the G.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-13-2012, 03:36 PM

16,612 posts, read 17,368,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
All the time I had them I didn't know that.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:40 PM

BMWGUYDC.

This is great. I will give them a call and take advantage of some weekend test drives. Maybe, show off a bit and have the locals thinking, I have a fleet of cars...ha ha -just joking-

Old 07-13-2012, 04:01 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,057,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peerage View Post
Thank you,

So it's still possible to do this with BMW. I would definitely do this If I make a BMW purchase. Also, I will add the other cars you suggest it to my list to check out.
Many moons ago I looked in to this when I was getting my BMW. It sounds great, but it was just too much hassle in the end.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:44 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,608,518 times
found the car for you:

deadstock '11 BMW 335d diesel sedan ( BMW 3 Series Diesel Vehicle Details - Edmunds.com )

MSRP is $41,988 but check and see if there's any dealer cash/option allowances on this since they're trying to clear the way for '13's which are arriving. And even if it's down here in SoCal, it's worth it to drive down with a friend for a bargain. I've seen ppl come from the Bay area & LV to save a couple thousand.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:00 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,062,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
found the car for you:

deadstock '11 BMW 335d diesel sedan ( BMW 3 Series Diesel Vehicle Details - Edmunds.com )

MSRP is $41,988 but check and see if there's any dealer cash/option allowances on this since they're trying to clear the way for '13's which are arriving. And even if it's down here in SoCal, it's worth it to drive down with a friend for a bargain. I've seen ppl come from the Bay area & LV to save a couple thousand.

If you carFax that VIN, it shows the car has 10k miles on it but it's still owned by that dealer so it's a demo.
(I'm bored at work).

Old 07-13-2012, 08:09 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,457,782 times
OP, start off by going to Fuel Economy and click find car. From there you can select catagories like luxuary or upscale sedans. It'll show a list of vehicles in those catagories and their fuel economy numbers. Pick the ones that meet your fuel economy needs and do research on those vehicles to figure out which one you like. Keep in mind there are both hybrid and diesel sedans you can also choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive