U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-14-2012, 11:56 AM

91 posts, read 55,888 times
Default Inspection in NJ and check engine light

I have a 2004 Honda Accord. Just two or three days ago I brought my car in for its emissions inspection (in NJ). All was fine and it passed. Roughly 10-15 miles later my check engine light popped on. I have never had issues with the car before, and it is about 120k miles. I checked the gas cap and it is tight. Is there something that they could have done during the inspection that caused this to happen? I'm suspecting foul play or anything like that, just something that is part of the process that may have caused it as I have not had any troubles before this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 01:29 PM

5,260 posts, read 4,686,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnozer View Post
I have a 2004 Honda Accord. Just two or three days ago I brought my car in for its emissions inspection (in NJ). All was fine and it passed. Roughly 10-15 miles later my check engine light popped on. I have never had issues with the car before, and it is about 120k miles. I checked the gas cap and it is tight. Is there something that they could have done during the inspection that caused this to happen? I'm suspecting foul play or anything like that, just something that is part of the process that may have caused it as I have not had any troubles before this?
Drive to Autozone, or Advance Auto Parts, or Napa, or--perhaps--Pep Boys, and ask for them to "read" your stored trouble codes. They will do this free-of-charge, in the hope that you will buy parts from them to fix the alleged problem. Then come back here and post the code(s) for further advice.

Also, disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes or so will erase whatever code is causing the light to come on, but I suggest that you first find out what is supposedly wrong before you try erasing the code(s). Incidentally, don't ever try this just prior to inspection, because they will detect a code that translates roughly to..."codes recently erased...not yet ready for inspection".

Old 07-14-2012, 02:30 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,539,259 times
NJ Inspection stations treat your car like a piece of garbage. They are low paid employees that don't care--just like Airport Screeners.

Because of the poor economy in NJ inspections now only test emissions--that's it! You can pass inspection without any doors on your car and long as it passes the emissions test.

This is new--they used to be so strict and fail you for a license plate light bulb gone dead.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:40 PM

4,027 posts, read 12,945,798 times
Get the code read and then you can figure out what to do about it. It is likely that it is not related to the inspection... after 120K miles it is not unusual to need some maintenance.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:14 PM

7,789 posts, read 9,955,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
NJ Inspection stations treat your car like a piece of garbage. They are low paid employees that don't care--just like Airport Screeners.

Because of the poor economy in NJ inspections now only test emissions--that's it! You can pass inspection without any doors on your car and long as it passes the emissions test.

This is new--they used to be so strict and fail you for a license plate light bulb gone dead.
there is no real emission test even.. They just put a scanner on the test port to see if any codes are present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive