Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 10:44 AM

741 posts, read 1,750,528 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about buying an auto scanner tool to self diagnose the check engine
light codes in my 1999 car. Could you recommend a popular, economical and good auto scanner tool.

Regards!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 11:28 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,163,200 times
ACTRON.

You can get a reasonably equipped model for well under $100. Available at any of car parts chain stores.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:50 AM

741 posts, read 1,750,528 times
I called the Autozone and looked at Amazon.com and I see there are 2 options in ACTRON

ACTRON CP9580 (Approx $160 to $230) and ACTRON CP9575 (Approx $100 to $130)

Which one is better? What is the difference between these two? As far as I see only difference is that CP9580 has CODE CONNECT and ABS Codes?

How useful is CODE CONNECT? Does both of them erase the check engine codes?

Also any idea on other brands like OTC and INNOVA??

Regards!

Last edited by spalam01; 07-19-2012 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: IT is CODE CONNECT and not ABS CODE CONNECT

Old 07-19-2012, 12:11 PM

ABS Code Connect useful for diagnosing anti-lock brake system ... wheel sensor output, etc.

If you are only needing to diagnose engine/emissions issues, then the CodeConnect link not needed.

Both will reset the engine codes.

OTC and similar brands are equivalent units for your requirements. For your personal use, I'd buy based strictly on price ... lowest.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:18 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,285,380 times
I bought one jsut like this from Harbor Freight tools for under $60:

CAN OBDII Code Reader with Multilingual Menu

works fine. Reads the codes and clears them. Comes with a manual to tell you what the codes are. Pretty simple and makes for a good first step in diagnosing problems when the Check Engine light comes on.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I bought one jsut like this from Harbor Freight tools for under $60:

CAN OBDII Code Reader with Multilingual Menu

works fine. Reads the codes and clears them. Comes with a manual to tell you what the codes are. Pretty simple and makes for a good first step in diagnosing problems when the Check Engine light comes on.
The drawback to these inexpensive code readers is that's all they do ... read the codes and allow you to reset them. I have had excellent service out of CEN-TECH brand (house brand Harbor Freight) tools, so they've been a good value when I needed something for an infrequent use.

The ACTRON's will do that and give you the live data stream outputs, which can be valuable in diagnosing the causation of a problem which triggers the DTC. For example, you could see a code showing low catalytic converter efficiency, but the causation of this result can be from numerous other sources, not the catalytic converter failed ... such as a "lazy" or failed O2 sensor which is not triggering a DTC fault code of it's own. By having the O2 sensor live readouts, you can verify that these are functioning correctly ... and so it goes with other fault codes in the engine/emissions DTC's.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:46 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,650,216 times
My Actron will also give me the "State OBD" test which effectively tells me what they are looking for when they test for the annual emission test sticker. Such a racket, if I lived a few miles away I wouldn't need the test (even in the same state). Anyway, because I keep getting a check engine light fairly regularly (which I think is the cat failing, it has 200k on it and that is the code), I can reset it and then make sure those sensors are not still reading incomplete when it's time for the test.

I don't know the number. My gadget has the form factor of the 9185/9190 that I can see in Amazon search but I know it didn't cost that much (though it was a gift). I'm sure it was $100 or so but not $200.

Looks like the 9575 has the same key features (missing the record/playback and memory, which I've never used, and yeah mine has a detachable cable which gives it options, also stuff I never use) and has the benefit of being more compact. 100 bucks at Amazon. I'd get that. Although this is with no experience with the other brands.

If you have an iPhone that is another option, OBD II cable that goes to iPhone, with software. If I didn't already have the tool (before I had an iPhone) I might go this route but I have not used such a device.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:52 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,285,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post

If you have an iPhone that is another option, OBD II cable that goes to iPhone, with software. If I didn't already have the tool (before I had an iPhone) I might go this route but I have not used such a device.
I was thinking of getting the wireless bluetooth OBDII setup for my Android phone, as it does data logging and other things, too.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I was thinking of getting the wireless bluetooth OBDII setup for my Android phone, as it does data logging and other things, too.
These are an absolute bargain and a heck of a convenience.

In perspective, the current Snap-On Veriys bluetooth remote scanner for a pro shop is currently around $12,000! It doesn't do all that much more .... a shop could buy one of the "cheapies" and break it and replace it every so many months and they still wouldn't be out as much money ....

Old 07-19-2012, 08:12 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
I am thinking about buying an auto scanner tool to self diagnose the check engine
light codes in my 1999 car. Could you recommend a popular, economical and good auto scanner tool.

Regards!
If you have a smartphone, you can get a bluetooth OBDII dongle for about $25 and a diagnostic app for $5 or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive