U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 11:24 PM

7,001 posts, read 14,445,503 times

Advertisements

Not to stray from the main topic, but that Chevy Caprice from what I understand is based on the same chassis as Buick Lacrosse and the Cadillac XTS, but it is a longer car, which is strange. You know years ago it was the other way around... the Chevy version of the same chassis of Buick and Caddy was usually shorter than the Buick/Caddy.

Now what is interesting is that there is a long wheelbase version of this car available on the Buick, but its only sold in China and is being called the Park Avenue. Strange they do not offer it here in the USA since this is where the big American car was born. lol.

2012 Buick Park Avenue (only available in China from my understanding)
http://firm-guide.com/wp-content/upl...-picture-1.jpg

As far as the new Impala, I actually really like it. It looks much better than the outdated 2013 model it is replacing (which was actually an outdated car by 2008, two years after it came out), lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 06:41 AM

4,863 posts, read 5,384,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Looks good.

What's the point of having the Impala and Malibu? Seem to be about the same type of car.
They've always been the same kind of car, just different sizes. The Chevelle/Malibu being an intermediate size and the Impala/Caprice being full size. The Malibu is still a mid-sizer and the Impala is still a full-sizer (after the overall downsizing of the '80s).

Old 01-03-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Not to stray from the main topic, but that Chevy Caprice from what I understand is based on the same chassis as Buick Lacrosse and the Cadillac XTS, but it is a longer car, which is strange.
No, the Caprice (the PPV) is a rear drive car from Australia, while the Lacrosse and XTS are front drivers. Perhaps you meant to say the Impala, which is a FWD car based on the chassis of the Lacrosse and XTS.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:20 AM

525 posts, read 821,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Looks good.

What's the point of having the Impala and Malibu? Seem to be about the same type of car.
The Malibu is a mid-size and the Impala is a full-size. This was a relevant question when the last Malibu (2008-2012) was being sold with the current Impala (2006-2013) since that Malibu grew a bit and somewhat overlapped the Impala's size. The new 2013 Malibu stepped back down in size a bit so that helps to better separate the two cars again.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:35 AM

11,198 posts, read 8,120,064 times
I just read that the Taurus only has 21 cubic feet in the trunk and that was hailed as great. ??? My Chevy has 22 and is nowhere near as high although its deeper. When I rented the 2010 Impala I noted the roomy trunk. Plus the Taurus backseat is only described as average, like the Malibu and Impala.
Is it only small cars that have better than average seating room?

Old 01-03-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Is it only small cars that have better than average seating room?
Only compared to others in their class. Since teh downsizing of the '80s, even full size cars are small inside and have small trunks, as no one wants the overhang that the '70s and '80s full size cars had.

Look how long these cars are behind the rear wheels:

You're just not going to see that anymore, even in a full size vehicle. And even at that, it only had about 20 cubic feet (according to the ad).

Old 01-03-2013, 09:52 PM

1,887 posts, read 2,795,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Only compared to others in their class. Since teh downsizing of the '80s, even full size cars are small inside and have small trunks, as no one wants the overhang that the '70s and '80s full size cars had.

Look how long these cars are behind the rear wheels:

You're just not going to see that anymore, even in a full size vehicle. And even at that, it only had about 20 cubic feet (according to the ad).
That 20 cubic foot trunk was quite shallow and held a full-size spare tire. It also went so far forward you'd practically have to climb in to get anything that was towards the back seat. The opening was also far more usable than they are now. My Aura can hold a good deal as long as you can get it in there, which isn't always the case.

Car trunks are different now than back then. I rented a Charger whose trunk took my small rolling suitcase standing upright. Trunks back then were sometimes not much taller than a paper grocery bag.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:08 PM

1,674 posts, read 963,980 times
Sometimes a trunk can be too big, im very tall and i couldnt even reach the back of the trunk of the 2010-2013 Taurus, so as long as the 14 impala has the same size or bigger trunk as the current model it will be very fine.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:54 PM

662 posts, read 458,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
This definitely looks like a straight-forward competitor for the Taurus. Chevy will have my attention when they release the RWD SS or whatever it's going to be called based off the new Holden Commodore.
2014 Chevrolet SS Confirmed As VF Holden Commodore: Official

Old 01-05-2013, 02:19 PM

14,755 posts, read 15,100,131 times
Well, slightly better than the trite one they've had for years now.

However, same rear pillar, same backlite, and same tail lamps seen on so many cars today, including the new Fusion. All I can say is "eh" and wonder if we'll ever go back to more "notchback" styling for sedans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive