Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 10:00 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,330 times

Advertisements

Family member has a 2003 Cadillac Escalade. Paid in full. 200,000 miles on it. Motor just went out. Will cost $2500 for a used welded replacement. $5000 for a new one.

Need some advice on what I should do next.

Should he vehicle be fixed or should I work on selling it as is?

Right now it is just sitting in yard in operable.

Any suggestions would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 10:24 PM

129 posts, read 515,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Family member has a 2003 Cadillac Escalade. Paid in full. 200,000 miles on it. Motor just went out. Will cost $2500 for a used welded replacement. $5000 for a new one.

200k is pretty high on mileage, even with a new motor the rest of the vehicle is still 10 years old and everything else still has the wear of a high mileage SUV, transmission, radio, seats, tires brakes, shocks, possible rust thru (may already be showing) and so on. Unless it has a thick book of timely maintenance records and has been garaged it may not be very cost effective in the end, that being said an Escalade is a desirable vehicle.

A lot of times fast and cheap engine swaps are done and do not take into consideration the other systems that are aged, like the A/C system, will it be recharged? Will the radiator be flushed and so on.

What was the reason for the engine being diagnosed as blown?

Thrown rod, no oil pressure, overheated?

$5000 for a new motor would be prohibitive, and NY/NJ is a pretty tough urban area for an older SUV. The bid seems about right for the used motor install, I am guessing that cost was out the door under it's own power again. The Escalade uses the same motor as any Chevy/GMC truck of the same year, and should be pretty easy to come across at a local scrapyard. Were you thinking of reselling it after the work was done? Might not be too much breathing room there. The blue book value of older Escalades has really dropped of recently, and consumers know it's a major gas hog.

One last question, was "welded in" a typo or is it east coast talk for installed? Just curious never heard that one before!

Last edited by orrecc; 10-14-2013 at 10:59 PM.. Reason: Forgot details!

Old 10-14-2013, 10:45 PM

Also not running it is worth scrap price around $300-$500 depending on the area prices, sorry. If you can find someone to pay more for it than that sell it to the first person with cash!

Old 10-14-2013, 10:47 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post

Private Party Book Value is probably going to run in the $6k-$7k range, depending on the condition of the vehicle.

If you can get a warranted (welded?) engine installed for $2500, that's probably not a bad choice - assuming your transmission is strong, the Escalade is in good condition, and the replacement engine has reasonable mileage.

With a blown engine, it's probably a $1500 vehicle - max.

Bottom line, though, is that it's up to you what you want to do.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:56 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
OMG I can sell you a used motor for 1600.00 with 110K on it. Where did you get that price?

You should fix it. It's cheaper to insure, you like the car, and the post bankruptcy GMs are not as good as yours.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
OMG I can sell you a used motor for 1600.00 with 110K on it. Where did you get that price?

You should fix it. It's cheaper to insure, you like the car, and the post bankruptcy GMs are not as good as yours.
Now that's more like it! Good job CCc g!

Old 10-15-2013, 02:17 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post

Does that $1600 include installation and warranty?

Old 10-15-2013, 03:04 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,275,307 times
I would consider it a loss. Run away from that pile of junk

You got your moneys worth out of it over and over again.

A buddy of mine had a lot of trouble trying to sell his Escalade and it had less than half the miles with a good engine in running order.

His selling price was $1500 and took him months.

IMO its definitely not worth an engine replacement, and no one wants to buy a car like that in this condition.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:28 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Does that $1600 include installation and warranty?
No. Engine delivered. 30 day warranty part only (no labor.)

So 2500.00 is for the used engine installed? Not bad, IMO. I don't know what the job pays as far as number of labor hours x hourly rate but I could find out if anyone wants to know.

The car is paid for. 200K miles for a gasoline engine is good, you got what you paid for. Fix it and you're good for another eight years, at least. Your insurance doesn't go up and you remain debt free.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:38 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
I have had very good luck with salvage yard replacements. You can get a low mileage drive train from a good wreck for a fraction of new cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC