U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 03:00 PM

9,619 posts, read 5,536,873 times

Advertisements

Appreciate any thoughts anyone might have about the Toyota Venza versus the Ford Edge. Edge seems to have bigger 'trunk' area and better fit and finish, from our showroom excursions. The wife has driven and Edge, but not the Venza. I've driven neither.

We currently have a VW Passat - 2002, 189K miles - and are wanting something bigger and 'taller.' Passat has been great, but it is getting time to put her out to pasture. Thanks for any thoughts or esperiences.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 03:49 PM

48,503 posts, read 91,891,358 times
i definite suggest you go drive both and makeup your own mind. Even difference in ride that effect handling can vary between people.One reason we all don't buy the same brand.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:44 PM

1,692 posts, read 5,787,586 times
The Venza is a nice idea, but based on my research people claim that it is not as well executed. Many who look at Venza, also look at the Highlander (Toyota loyal I guess), and the conclusion is that the Highlander has better finish and quality. It is all subjective. I have sat ion both of them (Edge and Venza), preferred the Edge styling and interior, but when I was shopping they had issues with their sync system. I also put a lot of miles on the car and gas mileage was important so ended up with a CRV.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:49 PM

1,413 posts, read 4,254,347 times
I have a Venza 2011 model. Really preferred it over the Highlander and Sienna. I have recently owed a Fusion which I hated so stayed away from Ford.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:07 PM

6,836 posts, read 14,357,736 times
both of these cars are nice but i prefer the edge only because the edge just feels more eye catching especially with the nice rims that come along with it.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:53 AM

9,619 posts, read 5,536,873 times
Thanks for everyone's comments. It helps to hear others viewpoints, in the sense that it might cause us to think about a feature, we'd otherwise overlook, and not evaluate. We'll do complete diligence when it is time to put the Passat out to pasture.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:07 AM

5,442 posts, read 7,457,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
both of these cars are nice but i prefer the edge only because the edge just feels more eye catching especially with the nice rims that come along with it.
This is only if you go fully equipped and opt for the top of the line model which will run you around 40k. It is very nice looking although I believe the Venza will hold its value a bit better than the Edge.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:13 AM

17,709 posts, read 21,987,043 times
I drove both of these vehicles, and then bought a 2011 Subaru Outback instead.

The Outback delivers better gas mileage than the other two, is somewhat less expensive, and has a limousine-like ride in comparison to the Edge and the Venza. Additionally, the interior noise level is much lower in the Outback, particularly in comparison to the Edge.

The Outback's reliability is just as good as that of the Venza, and is FAR better than the Edge's reliability. And, if you are buying a vehicle of this type for its AWD capability, Subaru's system is the best in the business, or at least the equal of Audi's AWD system.

If you don't test drive the new Outback, you are potentially missing out on a vehicle that is superior to the other two that you are currently considering.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:30 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,851,287 times
The Venza is the better car, the Subaru Outback is also very good.. Seriously for first choice I would choose the outback

But the Venza is much better then the ford edge, check out the Venza ;

Old 07-27-2012, 08:33 AM

1,968 posts, read 3,110,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I drove both of these vehicles, and then bought a 2011 Subaru Outback instead.

The Outback delivers better gas mileage than the other two, is somewhat less expensive, and has a limousine-like ride in comparison to the Edge and the Venza. Additionally, the interior noise level is much lower in the Outback, particularly in comparison to the Edge.

The Outback's reliability is just as good as that of the Venza, and is FAR better than the Edge's reliability. And, if you are buying a vehicle of this type for its AWD capability, Subaru's system is the best in the business, or at least the equal of Audi's AWD system.

If you don't test drive the new Outback, you are potentially missing out on a vehicle that is superior to the other two that you are currently considering.

I've driven the Edge as a rental, with AWD. It was nice, and there's a screen you can set to watch the AWD, it kicks in fairly often if you have a heavy foot. It rode nice, but steers very heavy at slow speeds.

That said, I have not driven a Venza, I just don't like the looks. I wanted an SUV with true AWD, which neither the Edge or Venza have. I wound up buying a Grand Cherokee with Quadra-Trac II (gives me 4-Lo and can transfer 100% power to either axle). The difference is that it splits the power between the wheels all the time, like the Subaru and Audi do. Most of the car-based SUV's and crossovers have "intelligent" AWD, only driving 1 axle under normal conditions. It took me some getting used to driving the Edge because I'm so used to having an even power distribution, the front and rear ends of my Jeep don't get light under power, the Edge did. Also, if you're going to drive in heavy or deep snow, I wouldn't trust the intelligent AWD systems. Some won't transfer power until they detect wheelslip, but if the wheels don't move, it doesn't transfer. Not sure if the Edge does this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive