Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 09:45 AM

720 posts, read 2,997,418 times

Advertisements

Somene posted a thread cars are no longer cool. I agree with what most people sais in that thread. One thing I always notice is talking to my dad, older neighbors, dads friends, etc all of them had really cool cars growing up even when they were younger.

I suppose looking back those cars are cooler to us today maybe then they were to them back then since designs have gotten less unique and less cool and also because those cars fixed up now cost 30k if not more but even back then i imagnie those were cool cars.

How did people back then afford cool cars? When my dad was in his late teens had a bright orange corvette with ttops and I think he was working nights stocking in a grocery store.

In my late teens early 20s i was driving like chevy celebrities i bought for $100 bucks and when i got a nice car it was like a used galant with 100k on it.

Were cars more affordable back then or how come older generations every guy you talk to had some cool muscle car and today all the teens, young 20s etc are driving hyundai accents and stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 09:48 AM

7,305 posts, read 13,442,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
Somene posted a thread cars are no longer cool. I agree with what most people sais in that thread. One thing I always notice is talking to my dad, older neighbors, dads friends, etc all of them had really cool cars growing up even when they were younger.

I suppose looking back those cars are cooler to us today maybe then they were to them back then since designs have gotten less unique and less cool and also because those cars fixed up now cost 30k if not more but even back then i imagnie those were cool cars.

How did people back then afford cool cars? When my dad was in his late teens had a bright orange corvette with ttops and I think he was working nights stocking in a grocery store.

In my late teens early 20s i was driving like chevy celebrities i bought for $100 bucks and when i got a nice car it was like a used galant with 100k on it.

Were cars more affordable back then or how come older generations every guy you talk to had some cool muscle car and today all the teens, young 20s etc are driving hyundai accents and stuff.

$$$$

Only 54% Of Young Adults In America Have A Job | ZeroHedge

Why College Prices Keep Rising - Forbes

Charting The Dramatic Gas Price Rise Over the Last Decade

Why is this so hard for everyone to understand?

Old 07-27-2012, 09:52 AM

17,574 posts, read 45,978,079 times
Can we just copy and paste the discussion from the other threads on this topic.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:05 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,003,144 times
I think a lot of people are forgetting how bad (and uncool) so many cars of the past were.

For every Challenger, we had twenty cars that sucked.

Gremlin
Pontiac Sunbird
Chevy Lumina
Ford Galaxie
Chrysler Lebaron
Anything Buick
Anything Olds except the 442
Anything Mercury except the Cougar
Toyota Corona
All Chrysler K-cars and derivatives
Chevy Caprice
Ford Fairmont
Ford Pinto
Chevy Vega
Chevy Chevette
Ford Mustang II
Ford Maverick
Plymouth Valiant/Dodge Dart
And so on......

I think the mind plays games as you age and you THINK some old cars were cool. They are only cool because they are old and different.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:07 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,874,400 times
I am not sure there are that many less "cool" cars today than there were back then. When we look back, we just fondly remember the "cool" cars, and forget about the uncool ones.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:10 AM

7,305 posts, read 13,442,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
All Chrysler K-cars and derivatives
¡Qué horrible!

Old 07-27-2012, 10:19 AM

4,179 posts, read 3,706,387 times
The problem is kids these days give up the cool factor for bluetooth, A/C, a good stereo, remote start, etc. When I got my license I could careless about that stuff, I just wanted a cool car. I got my license in 1993, I sold my Cannondale mountain bike and took some cash I had saved up and bought a 66 Mustang. Talk about basic...but who cared, I was driving a cool classic. I didnt care about a killer stereo, or any of the ridiculous options that cars come with these days. In fact, I dont think I would have even driven a Hyundai or something comparable if I had been given one.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:21 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,003,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I am not sure there are that many less "cool" cars today than there were back then. When we look back, we just fondly remember the "cool" cars, and forget about the uncool ones.
Yes - I agree.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:24 AM

882 posts, read 2,082,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
100% true. Anyone in the market for an '82 Chevette? (can't believe I bought one...)

Old 07-27-2012, 10:31 AM

9,611 posts, read 21,142,744 times
Next time you hear some old dude talking about how much cooler cars used to be, ask him how much he misses pumping the accelerator pedal and hoping that the choke would set correctly when it's -10 outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive