U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 03:28 PM

950 posts, read 669,699 times

Advertisements

My 72 Cuda 340 did that often in the first year.

Problem was a small resistor under the hood against the firewall.

Drove it 120,000 more miles before selling and it never happened again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 956 times
Why is my chevy suburban making a noise in engine and y would it just turn off on me while I was driving

Old 04-19-2015, 11:26 AM

16,485 posts, read 17,501,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
I have a Saturn Ion 2006 and one day I was driving down the street and the car TURNED OFF, the doors unlocked, it started decelerating and it was like I had turned the ignition off. The radio/lights/ everything else stayed on (like when you turn the ignition off ). I was so afraid i was going to collide with the car in front of me, but I had stop the car to turn the ignition to the off button then restart it again. I had just got the car repaired for something else a month ago and nothing else came up in the diagnosis. I tried researching and it seems to be a problem with Saturns, but there is no recall for it nor any solutions. Had I been on the interstate this could have probably got me killed or severally injured.Anyone have any item what this is?
You could have a bad ignition switch

Old 06-05-2015, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 889 times
My minivan turned of while I was driving then I turn it back on is a 2002 kia sedona what it b please help im afraid of driving it cuz it keep turning off on me

Old 06-05-2015, 08:27 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,151,322 times
My uncle had a problem with his pickup suddenly shutting off and it was a computer module that was the problem.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 770 times
I have a 99 gmc blazer when I drive my car it cuts off on me when I drive if I press on the brakes too hard it will cut off I got a diagnostic done I changed all my spark plugs got a fuel pump starter alternator new battery also when my car shuts off I got to wiggle my battery post for it to start back up

Old 12-02-2015, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 737 times
I have a toyota MR2, and lately it has been turning off for no reason while driving or as soon as I turn it on it turns off.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 613 times
My 2006 Saturn Ion that has 51,000 miles on it does the exact same thing!
In the mornings and night time, no engine light and doesn't shut off while driving. Only in the middle of the day will my car **** off in the middle of me driving.
During the day, I will be driving at a normal pace and my car will randomly just shut off in the middle of me driving. The wheel and brakes gets hard for me to push and steer, but will slow down automatically and the ignition will be off, but the radio and air will still be on.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 1,072 times
My car ( Ford Focus 2005) shut off of the interstate, I started losing power at 65 mph and I obviously needed to speed up so I hit the gas and my rpm went all the way up and my car shut off all the lights came on and started beeping and I luckily coasted to the side of the interstate. I had a previous issue with my car idling and shutting off so I usually could start it back up. So I tried and the engine wouldn't even attempt to start my radio and lights came on though. I got it towed and I messed with the gears a bit and it started up. I thought it was fine but then I went on the highway and it shut off again. Same thing happened car shut off and lights started blinking and beeping. I got the car towed but now the gears didn't help anything. I was told my engine was shot, I needed a new alternator, it was possibly my ignition switch. Everything was fine in my car. So after days of tearing it apart it turns out it was just corroded battery terminals. Easy fix with a wire brush, tightened the terminal up and now my car runs fantastic. So before you assume it's the alternator or anything severe, there's a good poasibility it's an electrical issue or simply what was wrong with mine. Then again without getting it checked you wouldn't know. That was my issue with mine, maybe I just got lucky but my mechanic said its more common for it to be something electrical then a part randomly giving out while driving and lights still coming on

Old 03-28-2017, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 366 times
2002 PT cruiser stalls while driving battery was replaced alternator and starter were checked and where OK it starts up after about 15 minutes usually please help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or