Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 05:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,372 times

Advertisements

This sounds like a problem many people would delay. But to me it sounds like a lose wire coming from the fuel pump(under the car, easily accessible) There was a fuel pump recall for that year, so the likely hood of those wires being tampered with at some point at high. If you go in to try and get this repair, ask your mechanic to check that connection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 05:36 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
Considering that GM is facing an inquiry right now on 13 deaths related to the ignition shutting off on moving vehicles, I'd say there is a good bet these cars may be affected. They knew about the issue in 2004 but didn't recall until 2014.

"Last month, GM said it was recalling 778,562 Chevrolet Cobalt and Pontiac G5 compact cars from model years 2005 through 2007. Last week, it added 842,103 Saturn Ion compact cars from 2003 through 2007 model years, Chevy HHR midsized vehicles from 2006 and 2007, and the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky sports cars from 2006 and 2007."

Old 03-07-2014, 07:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,372 times
Awesome thanks, I would of never knew about that recall on my car until seeing this post

Old 03-18-2014, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,118 times
I actually have a 95 Mercury Sable also and it will crank, but it cuts off shortly after. About the time I push the gas. I replaced the fuel filter today, but it is still doing it. Any suggestions as to how to fix it or what is wrong with it?

Old 03-18-2014, 06:17 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Chevrolet Cobalt and Saturn ION recalls for defective ignition switches...13 deaths attributed to defective ignition switches...
http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...-switch-recall

Old 03-19-2014, 09:21 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Definitely a feature GM has that other car companies don't have or want.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,970 times
Smile owner of Saturn 2003 sedan 6 cyln. dying on freeway

Hello,
I'am posting this to help someone with a similiar problem I experienced with my saturn 2003 sedan. While driving on the freeway from the san francisco area to the central valley my car lost power and then died in the mountains.
This senerio happened several times. I was able to pull over and after waiting about fifteen minutes it woujld then restart and run ok for about 1/2 half an then it would do it again. I Finally called the AAA and had it towed home.Since I no longer felt comfortable driving this car because, I didn't want to get stranded on the road.
The next day I took it to the mechanic they did a diagnostic test and found codes-po-171 , po174,po463,po154,and po 134. These error codes were in my cars computer memory, but the car was running fine and the mechanic could not find anything wrong with the car since the check engine light did not come on. He said to keep driving it until it did it again and the check enging light came on. This would leave an
error code in the computers memory.
In contrast to the mechanic's advise I game my car a 100,000 service tuneup. Changed out the park plugs,
fuel filter, and had the fuel injectors cleaned out because I drive back and fourth to the san francisco bay area and didn't want to have any more problems in the mountains.
On a return trip to the san francisco bay area and on the way back home the car did the same thing in the mountains. It was sputtering, backfiring then dying. I had to pull over several times and restat the car. I was finally able to get back home ok, But this time the check engine light came on and stayed on for several hours. Then finally went off.
The next day I took it into my mechanic who then ran other diagnostic tests. The computer scan revealed sodes po-171-fuel trim lean bank2, and po-174 fuel trim lean bank 1., and po461 fuel level sensor performance. They also ran what is called a smoke test. To see if the engine hoses had a leak. They did not.
The part that was replaced is called the MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR. a small plastic tube with a sensor in it.
I have since driven the car back and forth to the san francisco bay area without any problems. I hope this helps anyone with similar car problems.
Thank you,
Have a good day!

Old 06-23-2014, 09:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,865 times
I have an infiniti g35 coupe 03. And it happened to me it is the most reliable and fun car I have ever owned in my life but recently as I have been working on it performance upgrades and such I took the stock air filter out and put in an electronic ram air intake I got lazy half way through and didnt finish the job I just got it mounted.and then later that day it happened to me and it inly happed when I drove aggressively so it could be one of 2 things maybe both. I didnt put the computer back in (a smallish type metal rectangle pluge looking thing) and my air intake only works when "on". Like I said I didnt finish it so it was getting minimal air. Suggest you clean your air filter and dust off your computer that measures your air flow if that dosnt solve it have a professional look at the computer it might have a malfunction. I was able to fix the issue buy finishing installing the ram intake to my car so I believe it dose that ding thing because its being suffocated. Hope I was able to help and more so I hope you and your care are alright/fixed

Old 06-24-2014, 04:52 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Another one hit wonder thread...

Old 06-24-2014, 09:19 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam5424 View Post
I have an infiniti g35 coupe 03. And it happened to me it is the most reliable and fun car I have ever owned in my life but recently as I have been working on it performance upgrades and such I took the stock air filter out and put in an electronic ram air intake I got lazy half way through and didnt finish the job I just got it mounted.and then later that day it happened to me and it inly happed when I drove aggressively so it could be one of 2 things maybe both. I didnt put the computer back in (a smallish type metal rectangle pluge looking thing) and my air intake only works when "on". Like I said I didnt finish it so it was getting minimal air. Suggest you clean your air filter and dust off your computer that measures your air flow if that dosnt solve it have a professional look at the computer it might have a malfunction. I was able to fix the issue buy finishing installing the ram intake to my car so I believe it dose that ding thing because its being suffocated. Hope I was able to help and more so I hope you and your care are alright/fixed
What does this have to do with your car turning off while actually driving? Nothing? Then then the hell out of here dummy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive